summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 30, 2008

everything's relative

For me, to have a day with a nice little quiet time with a cup of coffee and minimal interuptions, would be special. For someone busier than I am, say a mom who works all day, a quiet little time would be extremely luxurious. Likewise, for me, a mom with 16 kids all still at home, this weekend with all the younger ones is relatively easy and slow-moving. 7 of the older ones are at a youth conference. Benjamin is at work. Paul is at a meeting. So, after doing some work around here this morning,(shining the front of the refridgerator, cleaning the door, and screen door, vacuuming, cleaning up the shoes, cleaning counters, etc), it was time for lunch. Camille was in a nap, and it was such a nice little lunch. It was only Margaret (11), Kathryn (10), Evelyn (9), Suzanne (7), Sonja (6), Jonathan (4), and Charlotte Claire, (2)....and of course me, the young and beautiful mom. ha. Anyway, I let them all have diet Pepsi, which is a treat, and we had some hot wings (Ben works at a pizza place, and there are perks), crackers with peanutbutter, grapes, and sourcream and onion chips. When the older ones aren't here, the younger ones revel in the attention. Then, Charlotte Claire went in for her nap, and I went outside and sat in the sun for an hour while the kids played badminton and splashed around in their little pools. Then I went in the hot tub with Kathryn for a while.....Camille had woken, and Margaret had her.....so now, everyone is awake, and Kathryn is serving them ice cream sundaes.....see, it is all relative. It is by no means a piece of cake to have just 8 kids here, but compared to the normal, it is.


Actually, I think I have it easy. I have to remind myself that this is my job. I am not here to serve myself. The more time I spend with these guys, the more attention I pay to them, the better they listen, and the better it is around here. Of course, I did talk to my sister on the phone for a long time while I sat in the sun. The kids have to also know that mom has a life, no matter how pathetic.

Yes, it is all relative. I believe that there is a certain level of happiness that can be achieved, and how much we appreciate how things are, and how thankful we are determines this. A person can obviously have tons of money and not be happy. But give a child who doesn't have much a ten dollar bill, and you have joy. I mean, if I had all the free time in the world, I couldn't imagine that I would appreciate it as much as those stolen hour times of sitting in the sun....and if it was always quiet here, I would hate the silence. (at this time in my life, silence is my favorite song - my mother, in her lonely years when we all grew up and moved out, told me repeatedly that someday I would long for all this chaos)......there is a verse in the bible, "A sated soul loathes honey, but to a hungry soul, every bitter thing is sweet." (I'll have to look up where that is, I think proverbs.).....

We have a sunny day, in the high 70's here in the northeast, with a nice breeze blowing. The next several days are supposed to be like this. And this morning, I honestly said: "I wish it was raining out today!!" Know why? So I could get something accomplished around here. Oh well, sitting in the sun is lovely.

Well, I am needed. The kids are eating their ice cream, and I need to supervise. Evelyn is out there saying, "Never use your manners, kids!", and "In four days, guys, your lives are over!" (school starts).......

5 comments:

Cassandra said...

Della, what you wrote is so true and you have such a lovely way of putting it, I love the chaos that is around me most days, i think i thrive on it and when its gone i know i will miss it, and on those really chaotic days it makes down time even more special, especially when its spent with a few little people ;-)
Cassandra xx

Piper Paradise said...

Thank you for the comment you left me about staying home. I have loved "getting to know you" via the blog world. You have a wonderful family!!

Martha said...

"Everything's relative" or everyone's a relative. With a large family, one is rarely alone. Somehow when we gather in the hallway after a Sunday service, I am always surrounded by my own offspring. It is rather nice actually.

There are days I miss the chaos. Not long ago it seemed a quiet day might never come, but now they are here, at least sometimes. Now I need to surround myself with other people's children and listen to their happy shouts and laughter in my backyard. One day it will be my grandkids running around out there.

Renata said...

I love this chaotic season of life - not looking forward to the quiet one. Your day sounds wonderful - I love sitting in the sun & just relaxing!

debi9kids said...

Great post! I feel the same way! Love all of the activeness of the home, but also love those rainy days so that I can get things done (mainly because I do so love spending those beautiful days with the kids as well)
School starts in 4 days here as well and it's funny, but I am going to miss the kids so much! This is the first time in 4 years that all of my kids, but the babies, will be in school. I am not homeschooling anyone this year and it's sad :(