summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 16, 2008

odds and ends

Yeah, here I am writing on my blog AGAIN. I must be a really big loser with nothing else to do.....I mean, the stuff in the dryer can wait, it's bedding. And the stuff in the washer is just a load of towels.

I got a new piece of excercise equipment today, it's supposed to be gentle on the knees. It's a Gazelle, as seen on tv, I guess, I rarely watch tv, so I haven't seen the commercials....my sister got one at a yard sale, and liked it alot...anyway, someone was selling one used, cheap, so Paul went and picked it up for me today. It takes up alot of room. It is in the kitchen right now. It has to be moved, but where to? I had already taken my 1+mile walk today, so I tried it out, but not for very long......if the weather stayed this nice all year, I would be all set, but the snow is coming...with the snowbanks...not good for walking on a country road.....anyway, the kids all wanted to try this thing out....we ended up banning them from getting on it after both Charlotte Claire and Camille got bumped by it within 5 minutes of each other.....I will let them go on it with close supervision when they get cabin fever.....

I have stayed home 3 days in a row. For me, that might be a record. And, I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I am having fun with my three little buddies......today, when we got Camille in for her nap, we had lunch and then went in the hot tub.....someone put some shampoo it it, but of course, no one did it! When we turned on the jets, the foam on the top was unbelievable. It smelled nice, too. Charlotte Claire kept getting foam all over her face, and wiping her face on mine, and laughing.......she has no fear. The water is up to her neck, and she stands there, plugs her nose, and goes under, and comes up smiling. I have to watch her every second.

I may have to break my staying home streak tomorrow. I need milk, and some things for the weekend. I could have Paul stop at the gas station for milk.....hmmm.....staying home saves money. But going out gets bananas, and fresh produce.....Jon has assured me that if I take them to Wal-mart by myself, he will be really good.....hmm....I have heard that before.....

People sometimes ask how we can afford 16 kids......Emily has a job, and pays for her own stuff now.....Abigail is still in school, so we help her as much as we can....Ben is working, and going to school, so he is all set....Mariel - waah- is in Canada for a few more weeks....and she actually saves us money. She is a natural cheap shopper......she cuts the coupons. My three older boys, ages 17, 15, and 13, don't care about fashion at all....they wear just jeans and t-shirts, and whatever sneakers...actually, Aaron likes polo shirts, and different pants, but I just buy him clearanced stuff, and he's fine with it....my girls share clothes, usually nicely, and are extra cheap bargain shoppers too. $3 is about what we would pay for a shirt.....Abigail and Mariel got their hair cut at a salon once, when Mariel sent her hair in to Wigs for Kids.....otherwise, they cut each others....and Mariel cuts the boys' hair. I do the little girls' hair. We very rarely eat out as a family. Usually just the one time in the summer when we go camping, and that is to Pizza Hut. With icewaters to drink.....although I sometimes take smaller groups of them out to Chinese.....and we do stop at drive-throughs sometimes when I have just a few of them....dollar menu, of course. We eat what is on sale. I plan my menus around the grocery ads. Right now, we are getting spoiled with an abundance of apples. I let them have them whenever they want. I was being ration-y with them, and Aaron said, "Mom, they are going to rot....." We don't go to movies, hardly ever, we do belong to the Blockbuster thing where they send the dvds....mostly old movies, or war movies for Sam.....

Well, I have noticed that when I am tired, I just go on and on....so, goodnight.....

2 comments:

Piper Paradise said...

Thanks for sharing about how you afford it. It's nice to hear that living simply can bring such happiness. I just had my third and am already secretly hoping for my 4th :- )

mommeeof10 said...

Fresh apples, yum! There is nothing like a real, non waxed, fresh from the orchard apple. We buy them by the bushel. It is $14 at the small orchard near us, but $20+ at the larger ones. The one I usualkly go to has no storage facility. They pick and sell them and when they are gone in mid November, thats it. The more expensive places have apples until mid December.