summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 16, 2008

principles

I know a man who had 10 principles....then he had 10 kids....now he has no principles....

It isn't noon yet, and I have changed 4 diapers, fed 6 kids their breakfast, fixed 3 bottles and a sippy cup....swept the floor, did a load of laundry, matched a basket of socks with the help of a little monkey named Camille who pulled herself to standing at the basket, and did hiphip hooray with the socks...and a little helper named Charlotte Claire who helped by picking up my sorted piles and adding them back to the basket......I got out playdough for Charlotte Claire, a big firetruck for Jon, after gating off the hallway because of all the toys they were dragging out...I have followed Camille around picking up the things she has scattered....I cleaned off the table, washed the counters.....but also: I managed to read the morning paper.....

All nine of the school kids got out the door to school this morning. No small feat. Yes, I seemed to have accomplished some things today....very necessary things......but you should see this living room....

Anyway, I have been thinking about princples, things I thought so strongly about.....and how I have let them go along the way...

1. I put Charlotte Claire to nap and to bed with a :BOTTLE!!!! And, she is not the first one....

2. I let three youngest school girls eat their breakfast in the living room while watching "Curious George"........

3. I let the kids go outside barefoot.....

4. I feed them in the van, even after we clean it and say we will never eat in it again....

5. Sometimes when the two year old wants something another child has, I ask the child to please just give it to her.......

6. Once I charged my McDonalds order......see, not having cash is a great deterrent to stopping at those places...the kids ask, I just say, no, no money.....so I CANNOT start using the Visa for fast food......

7. I have left the house with the dryer on

8. I have told the kids if they don't stop whatever awful behavior, I will call the police....

I am sure there are many more, and as I write this, I just remembered that Sonja lost a tooth over the weekend, it's still in the diaper bag....oops.

Jon and Charlotte Claire have these red plastic chairs. Identical. Jon was sitting in his watching Word World. Charlotte Claire did not want the other chair, just the one that Jon was sitting in. She cried, she screamed, she tried to attack Jon.....so, I asked Jon if he could just switch with her. He said no. I don't blame him....she asked for a ba-ba, go night-night....she likes to take a nap when things get rough, just like her mom....but I didn't give her one, and she moved on to bigger and better things, like playing with Jon's firetrucks, which he will soon jump up in protest about.....and she will probably grab his chair......

So I ask: how in the world am I supposed to get anything done around here???? These guys keep my hopping...but they are so funny....yesterday, I gave Jon a sippycup of applejuice....and he took a drink and said, "Oh, this tastes good. Sippy cups usually taste like throw-up...."And you usually just drink them?......hmmm.....and Camille she is just so funny. I had her on my lap for breakfast.....Jon and Charlotte Claire had wheat toast with butter and strawberry jam, and chocolate milk......I tried to share a bowl of honeynut Cheerios with Camille. She didn't want any. I put a Cheerio on the table in front of her, which she picked up and threw on the floor, while shaking her head "NO".....(Charlotte Claire was quite amused).....so, I put a spoonful into her mouth....she spit it out. Now this baby LOVES this cereal. But: she saw the other kids having toast, and she wanted toast. So, she got toast......

Well, as much as I like sitting here typing, these guys need some lunch...and then....nap time!!!How can you love your kids more than life itself, more than anything imaginable, but also love naptime so much?

6 comments:

Enola said...

naptime - I LOVE naptime.

My 4 year old goes to pre-K during the day so I just have baby. My husband just called to say he's been asked to work Sat. I will have BOTH kids. I guess if you can do it with 16, I can with 2 for a few hours!

mommeeof10 said...

Naptime is good. At least I have an hour with only an almost 4 yr old helper.

Martha said...

"Oh, this tastes good. Sippy cups usually taste like throw-up...."

That's too funny!

holly said...

Ummm...how can I put this? You are the mom of 16 and you let her get away with throwing the food on the floor, and getting what she wanted instead??? Setting this one up for total independance, aren't you? LOL!

Not a battle we like to enjoy, but think about it....If she gets her way now, how bad will it get?

I am saying this somewhat tongue in cheek, and with a smile...seriously. You have way more experience than I do! I bow to you in that respect. But, I just had to chime in about this one...it is my pet peeve if you will. "if you don't want what I get you, you will have nothing...and cry all you want" :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Holly! Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I can be pretty wimpy....but do you realize that Camille is only 11 months old? She wasn't going to eat the Cheerios....no way....I don't think she would have understood if I just sat there and didn't give her some of their toast.....but I do get what you're saying. I don't like to cater to the kids too much. Can you imagine having 16 spoiled rotten kids? I'd be running around like a madwoman....especially at dinner time!

On the flip side, when I was growing up, we did not waste food. And if I didn't like something, I had to sit there 'til it was gone. I am not so strict with mine. I don't want them to have these big food issues, and our dinner time is a good, peaceful time, without battles about finishing food. We do encourage them, and give them small portions.

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! LOL about sippy cups tasting like throw-up! haha

Ok, so your list of principles....wow! Mine would be exactly the same. NO lie! LOL