summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 5, 2008

cookies.....

we do have a pretty big couch....Kathryn holding Charlotte Claire, Jon, Abigail, Evelyn, Sam, and Joseph.....they love when I do this to them....
Paul with Camille....
and, we made cookies today. Once Camille the incredible moving baby was in bed, it was a piece of cake....Suzanne, Jonathan, and Charlotte Claire....the rolling pin on the table is one of my very favorite possessions. It belonged to my father's mother. It works wonderfully. I don't think they make them like this anymore.




Charlotte Claire thinks flour is yummy....




I gave them some dough....what a mess....but they had so much fun.




Suzanne mixed up the icing all by herself, then, a few of the kids came home early: Abigail surprised them and picked them up.....so Sam found himself baking.....






Margaret joined in the frosting part, and tasting too....







Here are Suzanne's cookies....






Kathryn....










Jonathan ate every single cookie that he frosted.....

Actually, they all ate alot of cookies....there are very few left after several hours of baking. How did I used to make so many different varieties each year? Oh well. It was fun.
The good thing is that I got on the treadmill again today. I am not wasting away or anything, but I do feel better when I get some excercise. it is such a hard thing to choose to spend a half an hour on there, when I could be doing any number of things......oh well.
Well today, before we decided to make cookies, things were going kind of rough around here. I really wanted to get some things done, like clean the dollhouse things out of the corner for the Christmas tree, and just do some cleaning....but it seemed like not only did I not make any progress at all, I was actually going backwards. Jon thought the living room looked too empty. He hauled his bin of cars out of his room, and dumped it out. I did not flip out. I fretted a bit though. He convinced me that he was really going to play with them, and that he would pick them up....then, next thing I know, he dragged out another bin of toys....and dumped them....oh, I was upset. The toys were spreading all around the living room....and I was trying to sweep the kitchen floor......and Camille was holding on to my legs....oh, things were a bit crazy....then I had a thought: I was cursed. Then I thought, no, that's stupid. Then I thought, "I must be just so awful and impatient, there is no grace over me....." Wait, stop! This is just how it is supposed to be...! This is just a testing of my faith. This is how life is when there are little children. Wow, I had to change my thinking, and fast. So I did. And it was still a bit crazy, but I had things in perspective again. I got the floor swept, then Jon and Charlotte Claire shared a muffin. Up at the table. And Charlotte Claire helped clean up, she took the face cloth and wiped all the crumbs onto the floor........











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those cookies look tasty and fun to make too! We need to do that one of these days.