summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

two hour delay?

Since my daughter M. is back from her Canadian vacation, and she is so nice and thoughtful, she told me she would get up with the kids this morning. She even made their lunches. Imagine my surprise when I came stumbling out here at 8:30 this morning, and ALL the school kids were either eating breakfast or watching channel 24, some still in their jammies.....2 hour delay, MOM!!! It was very cold yesterday, barely out of the teens, then some icy rain....slippery roads, ice on everything.....it is supposed to go into the 40's today. But I guess the roads were pretty bad this morning. I felt bad for Abigail who still had to drive, she has a test today.

Today is Emily's last day of work, which is pretty uneventful, seeing that she is in bed sick. Poor girl, missed her own going away party.

I am feeling much better today. I am actually thinking of asking M. if she wants to go on a little shopping trip. I need to get that part for my sewing machine, as I really want to squeeze in a few home made gifts, which I cannot mention, because I do not know for sure who reads this.

I am tired of brushing little girls hair. No, let me rephrase that. I really love to brush their hair, but it has been so long and and tangly lately, I am thinking about giving them shoulder length trims. I hate when it is tearful and tangly and difficult.....Mali had M. cut her hair to her shoulders last night. I was a bit sad. Mali said it felt so free. But her long hair was so beautiful. Emily made a remark like, "Yeah, mom, that's what it's all about, being beautiful...." So....I don't know anymore. I always thought long hair - girls -good - not vain....pull it back, put it up....but girls and their hair, wow, it seems like something they have to deal with....I have to back off a bit with what I think.....and as far as the little girls are concerned, isn't it more important to have it comfortable, and not a tearful issue?

Sometimes I have to re-assess what I assumed for years to be right and good. Enough of this for now, I have to get some girls' hair brushed, and get them on the bus.....

1 comment:

Enola said...

I just cut 4 inches off my daughte'rs hair. It's still halfway down her back. She kept chewing on it though and it got so tangly and nasty. It can still be pulled up, but it is much healthier.