summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

out and about with the kids...

I had a few things to do today, so I brought some kids with me....they had half day of school, and most of them didn't go.....at least the younger ones.....so, Samuel, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille went with me. One of our stops was Kmart. Some snowpants for Evelyn, even though I usually would buy these at the thrift shop, I just haven't been there, and her class goes outside at school all the time, which I think is crazy. Too much stuff to pack and send in.....but, I got her some. And a new pair of boots. And some boots for Samuel. And a little pair of walking shoes for Camille. And, even though the little girls were with me, some Barbie dolls for $2.99. Just too cheap to pass up. They can give them as gift exchange presents in school. All was not fun and games, as Jonathan had a meltdown, again. He was okay through the whole store, though he did suggest a pair of fireman boots several sizes too small for him, several times.....then he did okay in the toy dept., which he whines to go to all through the store....then, as we were leaving, we passed the Christmas decoration display. A ferris wheel, for two-hundred-something dollars, ridiculous thing, was turned on and singing and flashing. They stopped in their tracks. I said to look but not touch. He touched. I warned him again....he touched again. I pulled him away, and he lost it. He kicked and fussed. I calmly lead him to the checkout.....he fussed and complained, and said loudly over and over that "Mommy shouldn't squeeze me, it hurt!"....and guess what ? I did not squeeze him, I simply lead him along by his sleeves. It only lasted a few minutes, and he was his old self again......we went out front, and they gave some money to the kettle guy, and on to the van.....I talked to Jon very sternly about his awful behavior, and how bad it is to not listen to mommy.....he was very sorry, mommy. Very sorry.... Maybe it would be better to not bring him to stores, but I have a hard time deciding that....because he has made alot of progress on his behaviour. He does want to be good. He just gets sensory overload, and has these fits sometimes.......but when I remain calm, it doesn't last long.......

A quick stop for bread, milk, and bananas.....and a few more chocolate calendars.....they are a tradition here, those cardboard things with the little doors, which you open each day to count down the days until Christmas. There is a little shaped chocolate behind each door. This year the kids are very lucky, each child from Sam on down has their own, except for Camille....and even one for Mali and Aaron to share. It's funny, kids want to grow up so badly, but when it comes to some things, they seem like they just want to stay little.

Then, somewhere along the line, I heard myself bribing someone with french fries. Why? Carrot before the donkey kind of thing, I think. So, then I tried to get out of it....and I could have, but to be fair, I DID say I would take them.....so, I did. I had 3 free fries coupons from Halloween, and some other coupons.....so for all eight kids and I it was $14 ....not too very bad, but a waste of money just the same. But the kids just had so much fun. We ordered 8 ice-waters (I just have to hold my head up and really practice not caring what people think), and I let Evelyn and Suzanne help fill them.....they were probably pretending they worked there.....and the ketchup was in this pump container, that you fill your own little cups. They went back for more so many times.....they throroughly enjoyed themselves. Then when it was time to go, Charlotte Claire pushed the highchair back to where it was when we got there.....and heaven help whoever tried to give her a hand.

Then, home. We live as least 30 minutes from the Burger King, but I used a free coffee upon on the way out....I love to drink my coffee while I'm driving.. It is very enjoyable. Oh, when I ordered the coffee, the cashier asked if they were all my kids. And I said, no, only half of them. So she thought I had four. No, I said, I have 16, only half with me right now. She asked, by adoption or birth (like it matters!), and I said, birth. She just looked at me and said, "Oh MY God!"........then she stammered that they are cute, and I am lucky, blah, blah....but I felt those horns growing out of my head. Yes, I was crazy.

Absolutely, totally, thankful and happy: That is how I felt when I got home and Emily announced that she was making dinner. Oh, she makes a mean soup. Chicken with corn, rice, chopped tomatoes, a bit spicy, but not too bad....to go with it, she cut tortillas into triangles, and browned them up....oh, it was good. And the best part: I got to go on the treadmill when I normally would be in the kitchen....then when the soup was done, I just went in and sat down. Unbeatable.

So, my daughter M. that is in Canada commented on my last post that she is the weekly profile on our church website.....http://brunstad.org
She is coming home this weekend, yay! I really want to try to get a family photo before Emily leaves on December 26th.

Speaking of Emily, she has given her notice, and is almost done with work. She will have a few weeks off before Christmas. And M. will be back. And Abigail will start her winter break. Am I a lucky mom or what? We will get some baking done for sure. I could really use some help wrapping presents, too.

Mali has spackled and sanded the little kids' room. And wiped down the walls. It is ready to paint. Yay! And, I am getting my sewing machine parts tomorrow. So, they will get new curtains for Christmas.

I am in such a better mood than I was a few days ago, and that is interesting to me. I was feeling so sad, and just brimming with tears at the slightest thing. The poor me thing, big time. The feelings are SO real........but of course the thoughts don't have to run out of control......I am usually a very optimistic person. I remember in high school, I had a friend who always looked at the dark side of everything, and was always depressed. She didn't want to bring children into this awful world.....as much as I cared about this friend, I didn't like being with her very much. I do not want to be like that. I really want to be diligent that my feelings don't shipwreck me. All women's liberation aside, the mom in the family sets the tone, whether we like it or not. If I give into all the "Poor me " gargbage, my husband and kids have to suffer for it. (sometimes I just don't want to be the mom!) There is alot of responsibility with being a mom, and it seems heavy and too much sometimes, but then I underestimate God. HE sends just enough my way. Never too much.

Boy, I do have the gift of gab. Sorry.....

4 comments:

Piper Paradise said...

I love reading your story - gab on my friend : -)

Did I miss the news - where is Emily going?

Martha said...

I enjoyed your gabbing tonight. It was not so long ago that I had a small boy who would have meltdowns while we were out. (He's embarrassed about it now, but he was just a little guy at the time... ) Those are a thing of the past now, you know how that goes.

I'm glad you got to spend some time on your treadmill. I almost had one but it was damaged during delivery and hubby sent it back. :( I wonder if we'll get another?

I sent you the candy recipe through email. Hope you got it okay.

Anonymous said...

there is a saying I like:
"God doesn't call the equipped,
He equips the called."

FLmom7 said...

I love your comment to the BK cashier that "only half" of them are yours...LOL!