summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 15, 2008

windy rainy day

But I'll take it. 50 degrees, which is warm and balmy for this time of the year. We are going shopping. Again. We need some basic groceries. Abigail went up to college for an exam, and was going to shop by herself, but I told her if she comes home first, Mirielle and I will go with her.
That means Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille, too.

Okay, what do you get when the mom stays up chatting with her daughters until 1:00am, then wakes with the baby 3 times before 7am, nursing her for 1/2 hour each time? Well, the answer is: a mom who is praying for patience. A mom who doesn't give a hoot how many toys are on the livingroom floor. A mom who wants to go on the treadmill as much as she would like to go to the dentist. A mom who let the little girls eat their bagels in the living room this morning. A mom who doesn't know what's or dinner, and doesn't care. A mom who is taking the kids out shopping, knowing full well that there's a chorus concert tonight at the school for Mali, and someone will have to babysit tired kids. A mom that knows that not knowing what's for dinner will surely come back and kick her in the pants later when she is hurrying to put away the groceries and get ready for the concert.

But, you also get a mom who will take tender care of the children, rock and hold Camille, and point out all the cool construction vehicles along the road to the stores. A mom who will sing silly songs in the van, and get donut holes or the kids when she stops for coffee. A mom who knows exactly how difficult it is to be a good mom, and prays for all the other frazzled mommies she sees out and about. A mom who seeks to please God.

3 comments:

Robin said...

This time of year can be hard on moms!! I appreciate the reminder to keep my priorities straight!

Enola said...

You're not giving me much hope that my little one will sleep through the night any time soon.....after all if you haven't gotten it figured out after 16 kids, I have no hope :)

mommeeof10 said...

I've found I need more continuous sleep now than I did when my older kids were little. I'm getting old?