summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, February 9, 2009

the fun never ends....

I am not complaining about our broken oven, after all, I can still use the stove top. And Paul is going to call someone to see about ordering a part to fix it. Paul is an excellent appliance fixer. Our dryer has had more lives than a cat. Our downstairs refridgerator, however, has died. It died a painful and smelly death. It is now empty, and yes, still down there. Our furnace does not work right now. We are not freezing because we can also burn wood in it. I, however, did not build a fire this morning. So it is chilly in here. Paul has ordered a new motor. Our bathtub is indeed clogged. Paul has called someone, a friend, and he will come over sometime. Then yesterday, Aaron casually showed me where the bar in his chest (last August, he had surgery to correct a sunken chest), the bar is suddenly sort of sticking out a little bit at the side....not terribly so, just sort of bulging under the skin. I am the sort of girl who takes one look at things like that, and feels light-headed.....anyway, I called the surgeon's office this morning, and they don't want to mess around. Come in tomorrow for x-rays and to see the doctor. Tomorrow morning at 10:00am. Sure, I'll be there, I said. Now I just have to figure out how I can possible leave here at 8 o'clock, as the hospital is almost 2 hours away. Oh well, I have all day to figure something out.....

Oh, and the surgery Aaron had....now the insurance company is giving us the hardest time...they won't cover it.....and it WAS pre-approved. The dr. office does not schedule that surgery without prior pre-approval. So, just in case we don't have enough to do, we have to butt heads with United Healthcare. So much fun. Especially now with this complication, and even without it, he HAS to have this metal bar removed in three years....I hope we don't have to do it ourselves.

Great, the school nurse just called. Mali doesn't feel well. Benjamin doesn't have enough time to go get her. Do I want to pack up 5 kids, or wait for Mirielle to get here? I will have to call the nurse back and let her know.....rats.

Now, in case I am just complaining too much, here are some things I am thankful today:

1. Disposable diapers, and wipes. I would love to wash diapers, as crazy as that sounds, but our poor washer is working overtime as it is. So I am thankful for diapers that can be thrown away....sorry, landfill!

2. I cannot say enough times how thankful I am for my dear husband, and all he puts up with. Happily, I might add. He figures, why get all bent out of shape about stuff? What's the worse that can happen? He really works with his thoughts, not giving in to anxiety. He is a calming presence. God gets credit for this, not me. And it is interesting how encouraging it is to be around someone who is being faithful, and goodness and mercy just radiate out of him. It makes me want to take my trials so much better.

3. I am thankful for my microwave oven. How did we ever live without these? Yes, I am old. I remember when they were first coming out, and we got one for Christmas. It was our first Christmas married, and I was expecting Emily. I was the first one in my family to have one, and it was wonderous. I had a recipe book, and made cakes, cookies, chicken dinners.....we use it everyday to cook our vegetables, heat water for cocoa, tea, and coffee, heat Camille's milk.....

4. Our washer and dryer.....they have long out-lived their expected lifetimes....they are still faithful and true...

5. The cold of winter, which makes the mere thought of springtime cause me to smile...


Well, right now I am again thankful for #1, as Camille has a nice surprise for me....

2 comments:

Tonya said...

We are in similiar situations! Our television, washer, and my camera all broke at the same time! My washer was the killer..

we actually bought a new one last night....this is the 3rd one in 7 years. I guess I should be asking you what brand is your washer and dryer?? I only have 3 kids living here, and we can't seem to find one that will last..)-:

Kathyb1960 said...

Keep fighting UHC! I had them as my insurance co for 6 years. It says they pay for Mammograms. But, heaven help you if a doctor who is "out of network" reads the darn thing! I have no control who reads those! EVERY YEAR FOR 4 YEARS IN A ROW it would come back denied b/c of who read it. And EVERY YEAR FOR 4 YEARS IN A ROW I had to call and complain and gripe. The first 3 years of those 4 years they didn't give me any grief. BUT the last year I went when I had UHC they tried to tell me I should have gone to a different place & made sure an IN-NETWORK dr read them. There IS no other place to go where I live! It took several months, and getting a "YOU BETTER PAY THIS BILL" from where I got it done, but FINALLY they paid it!

Now I have a different job and different insurance & HOPEFULLY there won't be that much trouble!

I did tell the lady at UHC that I was getting sick of them denying this everytime, and if they were going to do that, then I would just stop getting mammograms, and then if I got cancer they would REALLY be paying some expenses! The UNC lady said "oh no no! Don't let that happen! I'm sure it'll be paid" It was plum crazy!

So, keep at them, and ask for a supervisor if you have to! Go to the TOP!

Good luck! I hope it works out with out too much of a headache! ESPECIALLY since it was pre-approved! GADS!