summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, February 26, 2009

good morning!

There is nothing like a migraine headache to make one realize how nice life is when there is no migraine headache. Wow. Anyway, here is Miss Sonja Kathleen. She is feeling fine today, but she is not going to school. Why? Well, yesterday three little girls stayed home from school because 1. Suzanne had thrown up during the night, and 2. Mommy had a headache. So, the question is: did the mom with the headache brush the little girls' hair yesterday? Here is the answer.....Evelyn and Suzanne have different hair, and I was able to manage a nice sweet little hairstyle. But Sonja K. - her hair is completely matted. She has such curly hair, it is hard to keep it long....but she likes it long. I think I may do a trim when I brush through the tangles today......I think this is an excellent reason to miss school.
I think jammy sleepers are wonderful. Mr. Jonathan is so sweet and huggy in his. He still likes his cuddles.



I could see him acting up last night, and I called him over for some hugs. He is still my little sweetie. Someday he is not going to like these pictures....
So, 8 of the nine out the door for school, not too bad. Today, I am feeling much better than yesterday, and am really thankful for so many things. I am also compelled to spend more time with the kids individually, more time sowing God's word, more time encouraging them to be faithful, more time listening to them. For me, although I hate headaches, when I am sick I always do alot of thinking about my life....maybe it is because I realize my vulnerability.....it makes me think about how short life is, and how much I have been given. It makes me realize how much more I can do to bless the others, and how much less I can do for myself.
This morning I talked with Abigail a bit before she left for class, and we are going to try to do an overnight-at-a-hotel with the kids during her college break. The kids do have school, but I would just sign them out early on Thursday, and have them miss Friday. Most of the older ones are not so interested in going, so it would probably be Mali on down, maybe Aaron would go. I am looking for a really reasonable hotel in an interesting area not too far away. It is only for one night, but when we did it last year, it was great fun for them. With Abigail on board, we can get two rooms, since she is 22...she can be the adult in the other room. I wish we could squish into one room, but there will be at least 12 of us, so that would be a stretch. What I would really like to do, is go to a hotel with a waterpark, but I do not want to drive that far, or really pay that much. The indoor pool and hot tub is lots of fun at this time of year.....
I am starting to really look forward to spring, despite the muddy feet and dirty clothes. See, part of getting older is when the practicality encroaches on the impending pleasantness. I hate that. I try to fight it. I want to just plain look forward to spring. period. And the hotel fun. I want to block out that voice that tries to scream about the packing, and unpacking, and the money, and the kids being tired the next day.....
Well, it is still quiet here, somewhat, just Jonathan and Sonja K. are up....I need to get busy while the gettin's good.



8 comments:

Janis said...

You've gotta try priceline-we've had some amazing results. You can pick the area and the amenities and just put in $50 and see what comes up. I'll be you can get something this time of year on a Thursday for 50 or less! Try $40 first! You never know!

KrustyLynn said...

oh those tangles! how do you even get those out???? OUCH!!

Robin said...

Glad you're feeling better! We are looking forward to Spring, too!

Cassandra said...

Glad your feeling better! little boys still love their mommy's cuddles dont they, that is such a sweet photo of the 2 of you :-)

Kathyb1960 said...

I've done Priceline too, and also hotwire.com, and I have gotten some AMAZING deals!

A couple of yrs ago I got a room in downtown STL, across from the new ballpark, on the 9th floor. I opened my curtins and there was the Arch! I paid $40. The reg price was a WHOLE LOT MORE! That was through Hotwire.com

I've also gotten great deals through Priceline, and have never pd more than $40 for a room!

When you put your price in, Priceline might try to discourage you and tell you "price is too low" but just ignore it! LOL

Brandi said...

My girls have really fine thick hair, so if they don't brush one day..the next it looks like mice made a bed in their heads. I totally sympathize with you having to untangle her hair!

FLmom7 said...

I'm glad you're over your migraine. I've head many of those, they are the worst! Especially for mommies since we don't get "sick days".

So did you chop off some of your dd's tangled hair? I'm sure that was fun getting those tangles out (not!).

mommeeof10 said...

Maybe untangle her hair and loosely braid it before badtime? My sister ahs really durly hair and tried keeping it long when we were younger. It was such a pain that she has had is very short for the last 20 years or so.