summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

migraine headache...

I had the symptoms of a migraine brewing as I put away groceries and put kids to bed last night....sure enough, during the night, after dreaming headach-y dreams, I woke up to the familiar pounding....hammering in my head so hard, if I so much as move a finger, I might throw up....I tried to think calming thoughts....I thought of the beach and the waves and it started to subside, minimally, until the thought of what I look like in my bathing suit crept in, and my head started hammering again....I knew I had to get up and get the ibuprofen, but I was hesitant, as the after effects of walking around are dreadfully painful....but I got up, and took four. I got a hot washcloth to put on my forehead, and headed out to the couch, but not before enduring the horrific pain of filling a bowl of water for the begging kitties and leaning over (ouch) and putting it on the floor....The sad part is that it was already 6:30 am, and I had to get the little girls up in an hour.....the other kids and Paul were getting up and going out the door....no one could stay home today.....rats. So, I did what any mom with a pounding headache would do....I fell asleep....because when that ibuprofen kicks in, it makes me sleepy, although it doesn't entirely take away the headache....anyway, the kids came out of their room at 8:00, and told me that Suzanne had thrown up in her bowl in the night and emptied it in the bathroom sink....oh joy. I decided what any mother would decide....all three of them should stay home. Since Charlotte Claire and Camille and Jon were still sleeping, I told them to be quiet and good and I was going back to bed. Camille is in my room, so I got up after she woke up......while I slept for an hour and a half, this is what Suzanne was doing....making signs...this one says, "EXIT"...

Stow stuff here? This is our pantry/closet....



Oh, this one says "store stuff here..."


and just in case we didn't know where the book shelves are...
She lableed the utility room "youtildy room", and Charlotte Claire's room, "Charlet's room", and the bathroom says, "Men/woman".......
She also put up a T.V sign with an arrow pointing to it, and a dollhouse area sign...but Evelyn made her take them down because tape is bad for the paint. Very smart girl, that Evelyn....but when mom has the worst headache of her life, for goodness sakes, if Suze wants to tape the paint, just let her....
And the whole time I was back in bed, supposedly sleeping, I was wondering....if someone called, would they remember that I told them not to answer it if it was: the school, anyone except Aunt Cheryl, or Aunt Kim, or dad? If they did answer it, would they tell whoever was calling that they were up and mom was in bed?
And the door....who would come to the door? What would they say? Would they remember not to open it?
The worst that happened was the chocolate poptarts eaten in 5the living room while watching Word World. My head is still pounding, and just looking at this living room is stressful. But going in the kitchen is even worse. There are groceries everywhere, as we only put away the cold stuff and the glass containers....(those cannot be left in bags on the floor, kids will break them)....the table has not been cleaned up from breakfast...the floor has not been swept. I did go in and tidy up a bit, and of course I have changed some diapers and chased Camille out of trouble a few times, and matched a load of white socks that someone deposited on the living room floor...but I feel awful....when these headaches wind down, they leave me so wrung out....all I want is a huge huge huge quiet nap.....
Evelyn decided it was a good day to dress up and put lipstick on....they are in their room laughing their heads off....I am pretty sure they have Camille decorated in a way I will not appreciate......I heard Evelyn say to NOT LET HER OUT!
Mirielle came home from college in time for Ben to take the truck and leave....now she is out running, as it is sunny out....yesterday, I had convinced myself to not ask her to do anything for me today, as she needs time to do her homework and stuff when she get home....then today, I feel awful....so I am going to ask her anyway.....please please let me have a nap!
I suppose it's good I don't always feel this apathetic about what the kids are doing....but I can't find it in myself to be the supermom today. Barely even the mom.....they are happy, they don't care if there are trucks and ride ons and books and stuffed animals all over the living room, and cups and bowls all over the counter next to the sink...it is just me who, despite my claims of not caring today, that is going crazy about it.....
Well, it is worse than I thought. Lipstick all over their tummies and legs, and lips, too. That stuff stains. They are like mobile furniture stainers. They are washing it off with wipes, and leaving stains all over themselves. They are going to look like clowns for a few days, that's all there is to it.....
Camille is up on top of the computer table, so I should go....




5 comments:

Janis said...

Hang in there! These days are rough with no one to Mommy the mommy. Let your kids help, it doesn't make you a bad mom. You are teaching them to be compassionate, helpful, merciful. Those are good things!

Cassandra said...

Aaw Della, I hope you feel better soon! ((()))

Martha said...

I have to agree with Janis. Having the kids help you teaches them so much. Ben and Hannah spent many days playing with Troy when I was down with a migraine. Talk about a bad babysitter! Well, at least I was in the same room... I am eternally greatful for their willingness to lend a hand in times of dire distress.

I find a Benadryl helps knock out my migraines but it knocks me out fairly well too. I only take them in emergency situations.

AUTISMOMMA said...

Only you could make me feel so sympathetic AND laugh out loud all while reading a single blog post. I hope you feel better. Those migraines are no fun at all.

cheryl said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad headache/migraine, but you still make it sound funny! I know.. I'm not TRULY laughing, just smiling a little. We all know what happens to people who laugh at other's misfortunes..