summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

4 little girls go to the dentist

And did I think to bring the camera? Sonja went first, she had a small cavity, her first, and she did fine. I brought Charlotte Claire back to watch. When Sonja was finished, she climbed willingly into that great big chair, and the assistant put those huge protective glasses on her. It was the cutest thing! She had her mouth wide open, and the dentist wasn't even ready to start. She had no idea what was coming. The dentist numbed up her gums, then got out the novocaine: he told her it was magic water, he was just going to squirt some in her mouth. She was so trusting, and then the look when the shot went in....poor child. She had two small cavities on her top eye teeth...so two shots. She didn't cry, but she looked betrayed, and I felt bad. If I had told her it was going to hurt, she wouldn't have been so willing. Anyway, she was a brave little patient for being just turned three years old. The dentist did such a good job, you can't even tell the fillings are there.

When we left the dentist, there were firetrucks going by. Loud and fast. (What is it about some people who think they don't have to pull over??) It was upsetting to think that there was an emergency close by, and of course I thought of my accident prone 20 year old, Benjamin. Then when I saw the trucks had stopped right down the street, way too close to the pizza place he works at, RATS! I was praying like mad for him and for his boss and family, hoping it wasn't their place. Instead of going on our merry way to the store, we drove down around the back streets to check....and thankfully it wasn't the pizza shop. It was at a big apartment complex, and we still were praying that the people inside were okay.

Then grocery shopping with Evelyn 9, Suzanne 8, Sonja 7, and Charlotte Claire, 3. Who was in undies, by the way. I did not even bring a diaper bag, oops, and one of the bigger girls said, "That's okay, if she pees we can go buy her some new clothes!" QUIET with that!!, I hissed. Nicely, of course. But come on, what kind of incentive is that???? Anyway, she peed nicely on the toilet at the store...and stayed dry for our fun and exciting store visit. We went home and had a dinner of grilled chicken breast (thank you Mirielle), Italian bread and butter (Wegman's Italian bread is the BEST), and tossed salad. It was during this nice dinner that Charlotte Claire, who was only having yogurt because of her dental work, peed her undies.

Well, I have things to do this morning. Evelyn, Suzanne, and Sonja all skipped school....well, not really skipped. Sonja's lip is all swollen from biting it accidentally when it was numb. So I said she could stay home. Then I am not sure what happened, but the others wanted to stay too....so, here they all are.

5 comments:

M said...

And a giggling I do go...is THAT wrong? And I find not having a diaper bag and the possibility of pee to be the greatest reason to clothes shop EVER! YEAH for good dental appointments they rock!

Tereza said...

Oh yes the joys of dentist appointmnts:) I try not to bring too many at one time but often that can't be avoided!
good thing she didn't pee on the dentsts floor! That would have been embaressing:):)

Sherah said...

I loved reading about your day - it's just so...normal, or something. =) Ha ha I can relate to the older kids making comments like that, that I do NOT want the littles to hear. It's funny how they don't really think about the consequences of putting those types of ideas in the little ones' heads. =)

Cassandra said...

Aaww Charlotte did so good :-)

as always, i love hearing about your day....

Janis said...

It is nice to know that my almost 3 year old not the only one still peeing in her panties. Unlike my other two girls, she doesn't seem to get it that just because you START peeing doesn't mean you can't stop and finish in the potty. Yikes!