summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

where DOES the time go?

.Yesterday, Sonja did not go to school. Her lip was swollen from the dentist, and somehow that made Suzanne and Evelyn stay home too. We somehow ended up going to the Chinese buffet for lunch. We sat there for over an hour drinking tea and eating oranges and cookies. They had ice cream too, and chicken-on-a-stick, which they call cat-on-a-stick (thanks, Uncle Bob)....it wasn't very expensive since the 6 of them are under ten years old, but still....I shouldn't be doing that. It WAS fun though. On the way home we sang "On Top Of Spaghetti", and "This Old Man".



We had chicken fajitas for dinner, since we (Mirielle) grilled like 10lbs. of it the day before. Then the older kids went off to do some church activities....the younger ones were pretty energetic, so we all went outside and played some tag, even Paul. The puppy likes tag. She likes to catch the kids, too. She needs to play with them, but we need to be there too, because she likes to nip. She was a bad puppy last night. Accross the street from us lives a big black Lab named Lucy. Lucy stays in her own yard nicely, most of the time. She came for a visit the other day, and probably left some wonderful scents behind. Rosie seems fascinated with going across the street now. Which cannot happen. She goes out to the road, I shout NO, and she keeps-a-goin'....(I almost imagine she is laughing at me).....I chase her all over the neighbor's yard, and I to put it mildly, I am not a runner. I finally catch her when she stops to pee...and I carried her back across the street, across our yard, and up the deck steps. I wanted to smack her, but I didn't. Then, she came in the house and you guessed it! She peed!

So I have been reading what I can about all this, and I have come to the conclusion that she can no longer run around the yard without a leash. It dampens the fun for her, because hey, I am not as fast as her, but if she is going to take off and not listen to me, oh well. She is tied up in the shade in the front yard right now, I need a break. I do not like tying a dog up, but until she learns better to listen, she will have to have these times. As for the peeing in the house, help! She seems to go every 15 minutes or so when she is in here! She keeps the crate dry at night, and doesn't have the symptoms of a bladder infection...I am getting tired of cleaning it up. When she does it, I tell her NO, and bring her outside, tell her potty, and then praise her when she goes. But she doesn't seem to get it. She doesn't poop in here, thankfully. I know I need more patience, but my goodness, I have all these kids here that need attention, and lots and lots of work to do......I am not giving up on her, but I wish there was an answer. Obedience school?

Charlotte Claire threw a little tantrum this morning when she didn't get her way about something. She was in her screaming, and I was cleaning up pee...that's when I decided THE Heck with NOT tying up a dog.....come here, Rosie....

Right now they're watching Word World. They have already been outside swinging and bike riding....it is getting to be lunchtime.

I asked my son Joseph, who is 18, this morning if he will help me do something when he and Aaron and Mali are done with school. (they are done before the younger kids) I want them to help with the kids while I clean a few of the bedrooms....I would like it if I could have the whole house clean. I want to rent a carpet steamer for the bedrooms. He laughed. What is this with these guys laughing at me? I told him I had a dream last week that I really wanted to move into a new house, and Paul asked me why don't I just clean this one? In the dream, the house was much worse than it actually is....and I thought it would be impossible. Anyway, the main living area isn't too bad, we clean it up all the time and it is presentable. But a few of the bedrooms need sorting and straightening and cleaning up.

Today is one of those days where I can't seem to eke out the time to blog. Distraction reigns, kids love me, housecleaning calls. Not white glove stuff, just trying to make it look like 17 people don't live here. 17 people who don't know how to hang up a sweatshirt or close up the bread.

7 comments:

Tereza said...

Puppies are a handful! we tried that twice and both times it didn't work out. I hope it does for you!

I know what you mean about the wanting to move dream thingy:) I feel as thought the walls are closing in if I don't declutter often. No white glove suff here either..........

Anonymous said...

my brother and his girlfriend have a new puppy too. It is 10 weeks old. They already have her going to the puppy pad pretty well inside. They just leave one out. For some reason they are drawn to the paper to pee. Maybe this will help you.

Puppies are sometimes harder then babies I think.

FLmom7 said...

LOL, I can't imagine trying to keep a house clean with so many people. I give you credit just for getting up each day;-) I think we all have those feelings sometimes that it might be easier to move than to clean the house we live in! But then you still have to clean and pack and organize in order to move...so...not easy. You and your family seem like a lot of fun! Glad you enjoyed some time at the Chinese place.

Amber said...

I think maybe you should use the southern method of dog training. Rub their nose in the pee, pop them on the booty, and take them outside and give them a treat when they go in the yard..lol Sounds cruel but it works. Puppy pads are great things too. We trained our female Boston to use those and she doesn't go in the hosue at all. Our boy Boston on the other hand, eats the puppy pads and will potty and roll in a crate to punish me for locking him up. We threaten to get rid of him everyday but he's so good in other ways it's hard to..lol

M said...

Thank you for reminding me why I am not looking forward to having a puppy and firmly believe in getting a grown animal. Small animals are evil. ;)

And everyone playing tag? You're crazy.

I had another point but it's too damn ass hot to remember. *sigh*

mommeeof10 said...

My oldest daughter wants her own dog if we move. I would rather have a custom's reject (trained but did not pass the drug or explosives training) than train a puppy. Our current dog likes to escape from the house if we let him inside and for get he is here. Then we play the chase the do around the neighborhood game until he decides to let us catch him. He is now only allowed in the sun porch or basement, as I can not bring 3 small children with me and chase him.

Mrs Marcos said...

Does Rosie have constant access to water? When we trained our dog the 'Puppy Headstart' teacher said water shouldn't be readily available whenever they want to drink. Offer water and immediately after drinking take her outside and praise her to high heaven when she goes potty.

The puppy people advised us against puppy pads because it reinforces the 'potty inside' idea. Then puppy has to figure out if/when it is ok to potty inside or outside. Too much confusion for the pup, though I'm sure lots of people have used them with success so I suppose that one is up to the individual.