summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

night in court, picking strawberries, and the beach!

Last night, I had to go to court with Benjamin. He had two unpaid traffic tickets, so his license was suspended. Did he stop driving until they were paid? Ha. He then got pulled over for failure to signal. Apparently, his friend said to turn, so he turned. A cop saw. He got a ticket, and another one for driving without a license. Great. Short version, he took care of the tickets, and had to go to court last night for the new ones. He was lucky enough to meet with the D.A., and got the tickets reduced to no points on his license, and a very minimal fine. But court was interesting. There are a lot of people out there possessing marijuana, endangering the welfare of children, committing criminal mischief, and of course speeding and other traffic related infractions. The judge seemed lenient on the traffic things, but the drug possessions, watch out. Jail time, no probation from him. I would think these people would consider dressing up a bit for court, or at least taking off their baseball caps for court, but nah. Anyways, I decided to take a picture of the kids yesterday....Mali was in the shower, Mirielle was running, and Camille was napping. But here are the rest of them that were home. Suzanne was upset about something...Samuel was trying to pull her back, Aaron was holding Charlotte Claire, Joseph was next to him, then Evelyn, Sonja, Kathryn, and Margaret, with Jon on his bike.... We did go strawberry picking yesterday, too....Mirielle was taking some of the kids, but too many wanted to go, and she can't drive the 15 passenger van yet, so I had to go. Camille didn't quite get the concept of not stepping on the plants, so her and I walked around a bit, then sat in the van....meanwhile, Joseph and Sam threw berries at each other. I was pretty mad at them. I raised them to be respectful....but they insisted the berries they threw were rotten ones.....hmm. Today was beach day. We had to take two vehicles, because apparently I told Joseph he could take some friends. I have complete amnesia on that one....So, we took 14 of our kids and three others. And me. We went to Lake Ontario, the eastern shore. It is as magnificent as the ocean, only without the crabs, saltwater, or jelly fish. The water was freezing today, but it didn't stop most of them from swimming and even going underwater. Not me, I just went in to my knees. Evelyn, Sonja, Jon, and Suzanne....

Kathryn,11, Jon,5, and Evelyn 9....


Camille, my baby, 19 months....(last year at the beach she was just a little nursing baby....how different this year was!)


Sonja Kathleen, 7 years old




Joseph Michael,18, surveying the food table. We had to keep the food covered so the seagulls didn't devour it...in the background are Luke, Nate, (cousin and friend), and Samuel....






Margaret Cheryl, my little 12 year old.....






Mali Rose, my 15 year old...







Mirielle, burying Sonja K.









Aaron, my 16 year old...





Charlotte Claire and Camille took a nap in the shade....they actually slept. I guess the beach does that to you....




I don't have a picture of Abigail...I have a policy of not taking pictures of the older girls in their bathing suits unless I just get like a head shot...and I didn't get one of her today.






Here is one of me with the seven youngest....
























Suzanne Eleanor, 8....
















Charlotte Claire, 3
So we didn't stay until sunset tonight. We packed up and left around 6:30. I was getting tired, and the ride home is an hour and a half, so I didn't want to drive in the dark....we probably could have stayed, but it just seemed wise to get going before they fell apart. Uh-oh, I hope that doesn't mean I am growing up.....anyway, we stopped at McDonalds on the way home. Two things each from the dollar menu times 18....plus some extra fries to share, so they didn't have to pick fries for one of their things...and we ordered icewaters....then I was nice and let all the big boys pick three things each....we had forgotten the bag of going-home clothes, so the little girls were all still in their bathing suits. We ate in the van, which was kind of easier, but I just cleaned and vacuumed it yesterday....I cannot wait to see how messy it got. Wait, yes I can. Wow, I think I am getting old. Rats.
So today when the little girls were napping, Abigail took Jon and the other girls for a little walk down the beach, and I actually was able to lay down on the blanket, and doze. I certainly cannot remember the last time I was able to do that. I had a few of the boys and Margaret watching the little girls while they slept....wow, it was relaxing. And it was so much fun.
On the way home I started thinking about how it is when we get home from the beach....sandy tired kids, coolers to unpack, towels and suits to wash. Suze came in and threw up in a cool-whip bowl....must've been all the sun, then McDonalds food and a long van ride...yuck. And the sunburns: oops. I am very burnt. The kids aren't as bad, I did apply and re-apply the 45 sunscreen on them....thankfully Margaret noticed I was burning, and put some on me....Tomorrow is supposed to be 90 degrees.....we have no airconditioning, and our pool is still broken, and we are all sunburned....Aloe and popsicles, I guess....and the hose.
Thank you so much for the comments about the tricky subject of "being done"....I find it very interesting how others have it in that area, so thank you for sharing!!! If anyone else has anything to add, I would welcome it. Thank you again!!!!!













Charlotte Claire getting ready for the trip home...and no wonder we never have any bandaids!
















5 comments:

Tereza said...

I loved this post about your beach day:)..HA HA no WONDER you have no bandaids!
OK.....I have a question and would really love your thoughts....actually I think I'll email you...

cheryl said...

Can you believe some of the funnest (is that a word?) times I had as a teenager were on that beach? Where does the time go?? And now our children are that age? And you were one of the little kids I was watching back then. I can believe you are burnt.. I think it was just one of those days, we're burnt too, and had to go in the pool tonight sans you know what. I want to hear what the drive-thru people said when your van went through.. PS, glad to hear it went well with Ben!!PS, again.. the cashier at Price Chopper said she's asked you if you're going to have anymore. I have no idea how she knows I know you..

Anonymous said...

o wow what fun!!!
I was *DREAMING* about having siblings when I grew up.. :)

I have been thinking about your post the other day on being done. I don't think I should comment, as obviously I have no kids yet.
But oh well it's a very interesting topic and I should go read the comments of the others..

WHen we first talked about kids I was clear to my husband that I would love at least 6. Then of course I don't know if we'll even have one, but if everything happens like it's designed to, then I plan on having many kids (I know 6 sounds like nothing, but it sounds like a lot to my husband). Anyway he was ok with 2... :( We talked several times about it, because it's so very important to me. And we also talked about NFP (which is a natural way of spacing birth, no birth control at all in my house!)Anyway we had several discussions about the miracle of life, how wonderful it is that each one of our children will have their own physical traits and personality.
I think those discussions helped both of us. He is now very enthousiastic about having 4 children, and I think I don't want to limit them. Have you heard of quiver ful? I don't know if I would say I'm one of them, but I like the idea of welcoming every blessing God sends us. :)
Also my husband is still under emotional recovery from a very rough youth, so I think we''ll take it one child at a time :) I don't intend to push him or force anything he doesn't want. But I pray that God opens his heart to welcoming little lives. :)
I think if we have a girl I will call her Lydia, because "The Lord opened her heart be responsive"(Acts 16) the way my husband's heart already opened up in just the few months we've been together.. :)

Anonymous said...

oh and also here is a quote from John Paul II (a wonderful Pope who wrote so much in defense of the family)

"Parents will remind themselves that it is certainly less serious to deny their children certain comforts or material advantages than to
deprive them of the presence of brothers and sisters."

which I read in a more positive way as " Parents will keep in mind that the greatest present they can give their children is one more sibling" :)

KrustyLynn said...

your children are so lucky to have such a good mom.

Seriously. What a fun trip! Some of my best memories are from family outings! :) Everyone always seemed to try harder to get along on those!

Anyway, I love hearing about what you and your family are up to! It just makes me happy. :)