summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, June 1, 2009

husbands....

Well, we watch the show, "The Office", and in a recent episode, Pam's parents split up. The reason: The room never "lit up" for dad when mom walked into it. So they were divorcing.

Okay, so call me stupid, but I asked Paul last night if the room lights up when I walk into it. He laughed. Laughed!!! And he said, "I wouldn't exactly say THAT...."

I was slightly offended. He could have at least told a little lie!

He loves me. He is good to me. He is responsible, and he is respectful. He is funny, and we get along very well. He is who he is, and I love him with all my heart.

He isn't mushy. Or overly sentimental. And when I think of how our life is, when I walk into a room, I am usually exclaiming how much there is to do, or suggesting what we should do, or telling him about something or other with the kids that needs attention. I really started thinking of what it is like when I do walk into a room. I have been seeing how much I complain lately. I would LIKE to say I never do. Because I hate it. But I have to really work on it more. Oh, I have so much to work on. But one thing I am thankful for is that where Paul is concerned, I don't have to go down the "feel sorry for myself because he doesn't love me" path, because I expect unrealistic reactions from him. But ouch, he laughed!

3 comments:

Tereza said...

ha ha....never ask a husband such a question:):):)
Thanks for the reninder though....I too want to work on not causing the room to darken with my demands when I walk in!!!!

Martha said...

I tried to ask my husband that question but I couldn't help laughing myself. He often laughs at things I say (I'm used to it). I think it's part of how they love us in their own kind of way. The way I figure, we have to laugh at a lot of things in life. It makes things so much easier, not to mention more fun.

cheryl said...

We watched that episode, too, and I wanted to ask Bill, too, but didn't dare.. instead I made a comment that can't be repeated here (don't worry, it wasn't "nasty"!!) and he thought it was pretty funny. I think that's why he likes me, though, because I make him laugh. Before we were even dating, someone told me that he was sitting there commenting on how funny I was..what a compliment, huh? (not that I was beautiful??) so I've tried to keep the laughing part of our marriage alive.. but I do notice that when I'm "happy" (and not complaining, or discouraged), he's happy. Della, you should get a flashlight.