summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, June 15, 2009

start of a new week....

Oh, I love a nice rainy morning, even when I have to take Rosie out in it. She saw the rain and doubled back, tried to go back inside. No way pup, have to go out to pee. She is a handful, but I do like her. She gets lots of things she shouldn't, the house isn't puppy proof. She is learning the "drop it" command. And NO BITE!

Evelyn did not go to school today. She has a field trip - walking to the library in town. And, her teacher is going to be absent, and Evelyn reasons that a field trip with a substitute teacher will be no fun. hmm. Sounds funner to me, if you can excuse the use of a word that is not really a word but should be because if you notice, people say it all the time.

Joseph is done with school, and Aaron and Mali will be home around noontime. Charlotte Claire is up, she got out a pair of sneakers that Sonja grew out of before even breaking them in, but they are still way way too big for Charlotte Claire. She is putting them on anyway. The rain is drying up, the sun is coming out. Right about now I wish we had a fenced in yard so I could just let Ms. Rosie out.

Sleep: why do I crave it so much? Camille woke up around 5am, and I just held her and cuddled her for a bit, then she went back in her little green bed and went to sleep. I however, was plagued with good ideas and interesting thoughts paired with an arm that kept falling asleep and aching hips. I should have just gotten up. But no, I kept trying to turn off my brain, and ignore my aches....the last time I looked at my watch was 6:50, I am supposed to be up by then....next thing I knew, Paul was nudging me. Rats. 7:05......I really had to get up! And I felt just wonderful after that 15 minute nap....ha.

And no chance for a nap today, as I have afternoon plans. And evening plans. Our church has a "family week", or summer conference each year in August. People from all over come and stay in campers and the dorms, we have meetings and games and activities for the children. The children outnumber the adults, since there are many many larger families, and this conference is focused on them. We have two swimming pools, volleyball, soccer fields, a gym with basketball hoops, and there are waterslides and bouncy houses. Our local church is in charge of the snack bar/grill. It is very busy, as there are about seven hundred people at the conference, and we provide lunch, dinner, and evening snackbar each day. As in everything, there is more to do than there are workers....but it is rewarding work, lots of fellowship, and getting to know the kids. I really enjoy making snowcones and selling candy. Anyway, some of us are getting together tonight to plan for summer conference.

My house has the Monday-morning-blues. But by faith, I don't! I refuse to be weighed down by a messy house. It is one thing to feel a responsibility, it is totally another to be weighed down by it. I am thankful I feel responsible to clean things up and do some laundry. But to be upset by the ever-present clothes pile on the couch...why? The bench inside the door is for backpacks. And, apparently comforters that were hung to dry on the deck rails. And towels. And bathing suits. And of course those jackets that are too hard to hang on the hooks that are TWO feet away. It looks like the shoe shelves have thrown up shoes all over the entry tile. And the nice Fisher-Price Sweet Streets sets the girls got out are ALL over the living room. Not too bad, but mixed with a shirt, a pillowcase (?), one of Jon's blankets, a hair clip, a dvd, a few baby toys that the puppy chews on, a doll stroller, the sit-and-spin.....and of course a few wipes. My kids hate sticky as much as their mama, so they are wipe-wasters. The kitchen floor isn't too much different, a ride-on, an empty water bottle, a sandal, a sock, a napkin, an empty plastic bag. It will only take a few minutes to pick the things up and sweep, but until then, I certainly hope we don't have any unexpected company. Perpetual. Yes, that is the word. I could stay much more on top of things, but it wears me out and I just plain like my down time too much. Although I DO love a clean house. hmm.

Well, the kids are watching Clifford on tv, the puppy is napping, Camille is still in bed, and here sits the mother who has so much to do....

2 comments:

FLmom7 said...

I have a very "relaxed" attitude about house cleaning too...I try not to get depressed or worried, it will get cleaned up when it gets cleaned up...I wish my husband could see it that way, lol, he has OCD about things and it's tough for a personality like mine to live with. I am always trying to organize things to keep him happy, but I couldn't care less if there are toys and shoes everywhere;-)

cheryl said...

With my back being so bad over the weekend, I couldn't do anything, except use the bathroom. And for some reason, there were no young ladies around to do dishes, etc.. but they're here today, and so are the dishes, etc.. I found myself being sorely tempted in it all, thinking, what if I can never do anything again? When I told Satan to get behind me, things looked much better, and God started showing me some very important things about myself.. It's like when the rain stops, and the sun starts drying everything up.
Do you think someone who was given a free ice cream cone would want to purchase an additional ice cream a few hours later?