summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, June 22, 2009

running around day.....

I have these blissful ideas about summer. Relaxation, sunshine, happy kids. I am not thinking sunburn and tantrums. I am thinking about heading to the beach on Wednesday, the very first official day of vacation for the elementary kids, with the other kids already finished. I am not thinking about the big messy gas-guzzling van with no air-conditioning. Or the sand. I like sand at the beach, but only at the beach.

Today is a running around day. I need to call the dr. for Kathryn, she has an ear-ache, probably swimmer's ear, though not from our swimming pool, which is sitting there with only a foot of green water in it...we need to order a new liner....which we were going to do last night, where does the time go? Anyways, I have to renew my driver's license, yay, I love giving that $50 to New York State. And Joseph has to get pictures done to apply for a vista stay in Norway for a year. Wah. And we are almost out of puppy chow, and the nice Hartz dog shampoo that makes Rosie smell so delicious from the Dollar General. Some un-named little girl had a bubble party with it. Joseph also needs more stuff if he is going for a year, like a gallon of Frank's Hot sauce. Seriously. And we need some peanutbutter to bring for Emily. Apparently Norwegians don't survive on peanutbutter like we do. They think it is for children, and it isn't very good there. And expensive, like everything else over there. I am being very nice to Emily though, just in case she decides to bring me back a European pram, even if it is just a dolly pram. I told her when I was pregnant that she could name the baby if she brought me one. Now I just need to get pregnant again......anyway, today will be one of those days....but I hope I get everything done so I can stay home tomorrow.

Idealistic. Yes, that is me. I am thinking about going to the beach...I always say we are going to get up and leave! Ha. We never pull out of the driveway before eleven o'clock. But this time we will! Oh, I wish Emily Anne was here to go with us. She is one fun big sister. But she is in a good place, being a help and encouragement, gathering the English-speaking ones for gatherings that I have heard are wonderful.

Benjamin Paul is trying to join the Navy. He has to get some things finished up first, but he will be signing up soon. Joseph may be staying in Norway for a year. Mirielle may have some things she is doing, involving going to another country, (she hates when I tell her plans), and wah. Paul asked me how it is for me, having them grow up and leave. Wah. It truly kills me. I miss them! It hurts! They are my friends! Oh, when people see me with the younger ones, they say, WAIT 'TIL THEY'RE TEENAGERS!!!....and I think, You have no idea! I have 3 over teen age, and 5 teenagers, and they are delightful! Not totally trial-free, of course, but wonderful and funny and young and hopeful and pure and interesting and funny and adventurous. I would never tell them not to up and leave, no, it is good for them to pursue their goals, to travel, to go off. But OUCH!

My little Camille is learning to talk! She is speaking in sentances. She told Mirielle last night that she wanted a gink! A gink of water! She took off her diaper and peed on the toilet yesterday, too. She is only 19 months old, but she copies Charlotte Claire.

So, the party was nice yesterday. We were there for hours, and the food was out, heated on sterno, for the whole time. Meatballs, pulled pork, sandwich meat and cheese, salt potatoes, baked beans, pasta salad, homemade macaroni and cheese, fresh cut fruit, chips, candy, cake, soda, beer. Very good. Anyway, by the time we got to the van to leave, I was already hearing it. The inevitable, "I'm hungry".....so they had Capn'n Crunch cereal at 8:00 last night.

Well, the little girls are off to school, Jon, Charlotte Claire, and Camille are up, and I need to move it.....

3 comments:

FLmom7 said...

Don't you love those "wait till you have teenagers!" comments when you only have the littles with you? I love to say "Oh but I do! And they're a lot of fun!" I know they have to grow up and leave someday, but I don't look forward to it. That is so neat that you have some world travelers there...Norway for a whole year? That sounds great!

cheryl said...

Yes, the party was nice, huh? It makes me look forward to Saturday, although my young ladies are leaving Friday. WAH!
Today at the Dr.'s a nurse and I were talking, and it came to teenagers, she has a 15 yr. daughter, so I mentioned my 16yr.old. She said don't you wish she was still 6? I said, that would be nice, and she told me what a hard time she's having with her. I felt kind of bad, telling her that Audrey has always been very easy, no problems. Of course so that she wouldn't feel bad, I told her she's been pretty good since the day she was born, and not because of anything I"VE done!! But I really do enjoy the young adult stage. We can really talk, although I have to remember that I am not here to be their bestest friend ALL the time. Here we give birth, raise them up into wonderful people, then they LEAVE us! Can you tell I need to pray about some things?? Now we now how are mother felt. I guess if we "leave them alone, they'll come home.."
Camille on the toilet?? How cute is that?? Hopefully Charlotte won't be jealous!!

cheryl said...

Sorry: Now we know how our mother felt.. give me a D in writing.