summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 17, 2009

cookies for the friends....

Well, we managed to make 795 cookies. We are serving meals to six hundred-something people on Saturday for a church feast. We have a cookie to go with each meal, and some leftover, maybe for the coffee bar. We used 67 1/2 cups of flour, 5 batches of 13 and a half cups. It took almost six hours, wrapping them was the most tedious part. Mirielle and I are like a well-oiled machine, cranking out the dough and putting them on the pans. Margaret was there, but right through the kitchen door in the meeting hall is a grand piano, and that is too much for her to bear...so every time we turned around, we were being serenaded by lovely music, courtesy of the girl who would rather play than bake. Aaron was also there, he also took some turns on the piano, and did his homework too. At one point, he was reading a textbook and wrapping cookies at the same time. Abigail got out there around 7:30, and helped us finish up. If the wrapping was the most tedious, the clean up was the most difficult. We were tired....




We sure did have fun, though. I can tell by this picture how tired I was....



You can see Abigail in the background taking cookies of the sheets.





Mirielle...





Aaron doing homework....





















We wish we had one of these at home.











So we got home at midnight last night. Ouch. I still had to get the kids' clothes out for today. I missed seeing them, as we left right as the second trip bus came. I guess we were gone for 8 hours all together. I had bought some nice Uno pizzas, frozen, for the new oven, to make dinner easier for them. (I also brought a few for us)
Yesterday was sooo busy. After the nice stove guys came and left, Mirielle and I took Suzanne-the-school-skipper, Charlotte Claire, and Camille, and went to BJs to buy the cookie stuff. It cost only $84 to make 795 cookies, with flour to spare. Not too bad, ten cents a cookie. Except for the vanilla and the baking soda, we just used ours. (we wanted to use real vanilla, and to buy a whole bottle at BJs is expensive!) The first ones we made were really really big, that is why we didn't get our 900. oops. Anyway, we got home, got Camille into bed, gathered what we would need, and left again.
So today, it was a stay at home day. Rosie has been bad concerning the neighbors. She thinks their business is her business. So she would bark at the edge of our driveway. Then she started to go into the road, then across the road, and today, she went right up to their house, barking at them. They are very kind people, older with their kids grown and gone. They have a dog, which Rosie wants to either fight with or play with. They don't mind if Rosie comes to visit, but the road here is too dangerous to allow her to cross. The traffic is not consistently busy, but when a car comes, it is going FAST. Champ used to like visiting them, too. Anyway, she absolutely does not come to me when I call her once she decides to trot across the street. That just makes me so mad!!! I treat her like gold, love her and work with her, and she just takes off.....oooh. So, I tied her up today. I don't like tied up dogs, but until she can learn to listen...and I don't leave her tied up for long, I bring her in here, and I took her for a nice long walk on her leash. Anyway, she hasn't been a bed of roses, despite her name. ha. But I do love her, I do I do.
The first trip kids are home now, they are eating popcorn and watching Arthur. I don't mind if they watch a little bit of t.v. It is a decent show.











3 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

It never ceases to amaze me that you have sixteen kids. You don't look it at all - not that I know what someone with sixteen kids is "supposed" to look like but I just think about you and I think about Michelle Duggar and you look as good or even better than she does (not that she looks bad) and you're a few years older (I think....right???)!

Tereza said...

that's a lot of cookies!!! By the way..how old are you? You look too young to have 16 kids!

16 blessings'mom said...

Well thank you! I am 44 in body, 15 in mind. But I am starting to grow up. Ha, who am I kidding. And yes, that was a lot of cookies. But apparently we didn't get burned out, because Mirielle and I made another double batch of them here today for the kids. And us. (and boy it seemed easy!) I have only had three, one when they were hot, one with my afternoon coffee, and one just now. They are sooo good, I wish they would just hurry up and eat them all...