summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

off to school they went...

And here I am...and I am a bit sad about it still. But they came home yesterday so happy, at least the younger ones. Jon got off the bus saying how much he loves school. That does make it easier on me. I am hoping the two little girls here get used to not having all their siblings and playmates during the day. I need to do more with them so they don't get into so much. I also need to get up earlier, to make some breakfast for the older kids. I have learned alot about myself through the years, and I wish I could go back and do the mornings over again. All the years with the waking babies and the tired mommy.....I see more and more how I can just shut up and ignore things so it can be more peaceful. I am more conscious to do that now, things that need discussing can wait. I also find the older kids are very thankful if I am making them plates of raisin toast or bagels. Five of them have to get out the door at 7:30, plus Abigail and Paul and Ben to work a bit before that. So they have to share the bathrooms.....they seem to work it out okay, but there is always someone who thinks it is a good idea to take a shower when the others need to brush their teeth.....but that was usually Joseph, and he is not here right now......

So they seemed to like school. I went around the room last evening and asked each one what they liked and what they hated about school. Suzanne was tired, and stubborn, and said she hated everything and loved nothing. It makes me laugh just to think of her, curled up in the chair in Gramma's nightgown, all grumpy. Then she did her paper bag project, where she had to find five things that describe her and put them in a lunch bag, which she did happily. I think she just has to adjust to the new teacher (who sat on her stool and talked and talked and talked, according to Suzanne)...and make new friends. She has no one from last year in her class. I think she is disapointed that one little girl isn't in her class, a girl named Hannah, who has special needs. Suzanne likes nurturing, she takes over with the younger ones here sometimes, and she really liked being good to Hannah.

When they got home yesterday, I took them out into the pool and hot tub and talked to them about their day, until it was time to put dinner on the table. I had put beef in the crockpot in the morning, so it was simple to cook up some green beans, and have barbequed beef. I need to do that more often, it certainly beats that horrible five-o'clock-what-the-heck-are-we-having syndrome that I am prone to. Which wasn't so bad back when there were 6 or 8 or 10 of us. But last night, there were 16 home for dinner.

Plans for today: to the store again. We are running out of everything already. I still don't have it through my skull how many people live here, I guess. Two bunches of bananas seems like alot, but.....anyways, we need apples and bananas and popcorn (the kernals)(I made them some last night while we talked about school).....Mirielle and I are looking forward to going out and about today. It just seemed so empty and lonely yesterday. I am not excited for Mirielle to get a job or go back to school.....(honestly, I am not taking it for granted that she is here, I was so prepared to miss her for so long, and here she is everyday.....she is not certain what to do next, but since she is broke, she is looking for work....)

I am not used to getting up so early, I stayed up way too late last night, and then the dog was barking at the cat....and Camille woke up once....today, I might just try for a little nap...ooh, it sounds yummy.....

3 comments:

Tereza said...

I like getting up earlier than the kids....makes me feel like the day doesn't just start with a huge bang:):)

Sherah said...

I love your blog because it makes my huge, overwhelming family seem quite "normal" and small compared to yours. Like you say, "it isn't such a big deal not to know what to cook for dinner when there are just 8 or 10 of us..." Ha ha - that is me every night, 9 people, and I feel quite panicky if I don't have dinner planned by 5pm!

I wanted to ask, how do you split up the bedrooms with so many? We'll have 7 in 2 bedrooms in a few months and I'm already wondering how we're going to do that.

Virginia Revoir said...

I am sooo not a morning person and I wish I was. I'm such a sleephead. Even if I get good sleep.