summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 21, 2009

I should be in bed.....

But sometimes the tireder (now, I know that is not a word, but it should be) I am, the longer I stay up. It is relatively quiet. Camille and Charlotte Claire are in bed, Paul went to bed, all the kids except for Aaron and Mirielle, who are working on one of Aaron's school papers...and Evelyn who just came out to tell us that their fan burned out. In our house, that is cause for a sleepless night. We have fans in every room. That is why the kids sleep so well, they don't have to hear each other sniff and snore. Anyway, Mirielle gave her one from her room. Margaret is sleeping, and probably won't wake up without the fan because she took Benedryl tonight before bed. She has a strange rash on her face, looks like a reaction to the sun. It looks sort of like a bad sunburn that got swollen and itchy. Tomorrow it looks like I'll be taking her to the dr.

Rosie is still up, too. She is annoying, but I just love her to pieces. She is big and clumsy and beggy (is that a word?) and intrusive. But I truly love her. She is very high-strung and needy and high-maintenance. But, I love her. Good thing. And, I have been tempted to put her on craigslist a few times.

I have been looking at vacation packages!! Paul and I never went on a honeymoon. We got married on a Friday night, went to a nearby city to a Holiday Inn, then the next night in a different city to a RedRoof Inn....then back in time for church....oh, we were idiots, going to church that Sunday. And back to work on Monday for both of us. Ten months later we had newborn Emily, our own used mobile home, over $500 a month in college loans, Paul working a rather low paying job, and me at home with the baby...oh, but what bliss. Seriously. Anyways, we have gone on a few trips through the years, but through his work. A few days in Florida with Joseph as a baby, a few days in Washington D.C. (at the Grand Hyatt, which was beautiful) when I was 6 months pregnant for Ben...but Paul had meetings and classes, so it didn't really count...although I did enjoy myself....then one trip to Norway with my mom, and 4month old baby Mali. Nice, but certainly no honeymoon. And we have gone on weekends away through the years. Which is a very good thing to do. Mom and Dad have to be wife and husband, not just mom and dad. Anyanyanyway, we are going on vacation this fall. Only for five nights, but we are thinking Jamaica. White sandy beaches at an all-inclusive resort. Honestly, if we won the lottery or a free trip for the whole family, I would rather bring all the kids. I would love to see them enjoy it. The whole time we're there, we will both be thinking and saying how much Mirielle would like the beach, and Aaron the hammocks, and Joseph the sunsets....and Jon the boats, and Sonja the desserts....oh, it will be sort of torture. But we really can use a bit of time alone, and it sounds so nice. We never did really camp this summer, just those nights at our church conference, with the days full of responsibility and busy-ness. I went to the beach with the kids several times, but Paul never came with us this year, not even once. Poor guy. Anyway, we are still looking. It is hard to figure out where to go just from pictures on the computer. If anyone out there who reads this has any experience in Carribean vacations, let me know.

I have to put Miss Rosie-the-crayon-eater in her cage. We have a ritual, I give her a few treats and a handful of ice cubes everynight. I figure she gets thirsty after her treats, and I can't give her water in there, or she'll spill it for sure.....she is a big spoiled baby. I ask her if she wants to go in her cage, and she walks towards it happily. It keeps her out of trouble in the night. I don't call it a crate, that is a name for people who don't like to say they put their pets in cages. Makes them feel better to say "crate".....oh, I better get the kids' clothes out and get in bed before I fall asleep right here....besides, I need some good sleep because:::::Tomorrow night I go get my son Joseph from the airport! He is coming home from Norway!!! Yay!!!

3 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

That's a good idea about the fans. We're going to need those tricks soon with three little ones in one bedroom.

I'm finding ear plugs are particularilarly helpful in a houseful of people, too. The baby is close enough that I hear her but I don't hear everybody else.

AUTISMOMMA said...

If you ever tire of giving Rosie ice cubes in her cage, you could get her a water bottle. I've seen those upside-down water bottles they make for guinea pigs and gerbils in pretty large sizes in pet stores. Just an idea....ice cubes are definitely more frugal though, and I know you are like me and always looking for a bargain solution.

Grace said...

My husband and I really like the all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican. Check out Debbies Caribbeanresortreviews.com People send in reviews of all the hotels and it is quite helpful. Grand Palladium and Iberostar resorts are very nice.