summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 14, 2009

new oven!!!

Our new oven is coming on Wednesday. It will be so nice to be able to bake again. I grilled burgers tonight, and we had some corn and some salad. Summer meals are fine by me, but when the days start getting shorter and chillier, I think of baking things. Soups, stews, cookies. So, since the new part that Paul bought didn't fix the oven, we went and took the plunge. It is hard to spend money to replace old appliances. But I am very thankful we were able to do it. And Paul was very nice to me, he got the one I really wanted, even though I said it didn't matter, I would be fine with the cheaper one. So, we got a convection oven, with 5 burners on the top instead of four. The middle one is oval shaped for griddles or large pans. It makes sense for our family, but it was hard to spend the extra money. The convection feature will speed up cooking time, for those times when we need more food than can fit in the oven, and things like pizzas sit there waiting their turn. I am very excited about it.

We went to Sears first, and I really wanted this particular model, I'll call it stove #1. We then went to HomeDepot, and they didn't have much of a selection. I talked to a salesman who seemed so eager to help us....I am glad I don't have to work at HomeDepot selling appliances. Boring. Then on to Lowe's. Lowe's had a very nice one, with the five burner top, but the convection models were very pricy. So we could have gotten one for a reasonable price without that feature, or go back to Sears and get #1, which was a few hundred more, though a better value, as it was marked down quite a bit. It has the stainless steel front, which will match the 'fridge, (two appliances covered with fingerprints, yay!)....anyway, I told him I would be fine with the less expensive one, and he said that since I am the one who spends more time in the kitchen, I could decide. I feel a little bit guilty, but I went for #1. Ouch at the register, though.

When we got home Mirielle was leaving to bring the kids to soccer practice, and we had a late dinner. The kids went crazy and wild and ran all around the kitchen and living room, and I had to get clothes out for tomorrow. I was a meany and made them all sit down on the couches while I got the clothes out. Then stories and bed time. I don't mind sometimes when they have lots of energy, but ....I can't think straight when it so crazy in here. Camille is a big napper and is still up tonight. The kids here call Aaron "Kevin" for some reason, and Camille knows Kevin will get her chocolate chips. She asks PLEASE KOCLATE KIPS, KEVIN!

Bickering and bickering. I know they love each other, but sometimes the older kids just bicker. They just got home from soccer practice since Abigail picked them up and she had a meeting, they had to wait for her. They are now eating dinner. 10:00pm dinner. And Camille is still going strong. I am looking forward to going to bed tonight. I don't feel so great, with a bit of a cough and headache, but I can still function.

"Do not grow weary of doing good, for in due time we shall reap, if we do not lose heart" (galations)......So, being a mom is doing good, right? Let us not grow weary! Doing the right thing and keeping the peace and humbling ourselves, kids or no kids, that is doing the good. Let us not lose heart! One day at a time, one situation at a time....let us not grow weary....

2 comments:

Cinnamon said...

I stopped in from Tereza's blog...I loved your comment about having a clean/messy house. I could sooo relate. Our couch forever seems to be piled high or at least has a few clothes on it throughout the day. It can sure drive me crazy at times.

Good to meet ya~ Cinnamon

maureen said...

My couch is not the problem, I have this ledge in the kitchen, it is part of my island. I think it's original purpose was as a kind of kitchen bar, where adults and big kids could sit for breakfast or a snack. Anyhow, this ledge/bar is piled with all sorts of stuff; papers, receipts, hair brushes and other hair paraphenalia (I have 5 girls), pennies and other cash, candles, cough syrup, bandaids, you get the picture.

Last Christmas when my Mom came to visit she walked past the ledge...she stopped and looked at it for a really long time, then turned to me and said, "Is this all for sale?"

We laugh about it a lot, but I just don't know where else to put all this stuff!

Maureen