summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

we're home...

And it feels good. I missed Rosie-The-Bad-Dog, and I didn't realize how much I missed this nice spacious house. There's nothing like living in a ten foot wide camper with several kids and a husband for several days to make the old homestead feel huge. Emily took off to the Adirondacks for a few days with Aaron, Mali, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, and Suzanne. So we are rattling around like peas in a pod....Paul and I, Benjamin, Joseph, Samuel, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille.....



It is HOT and HUMID here in central New York....stuffy and sweaty and blah....



Our summer conference at church was lovely. One mom, whom I love dearly, wondered aloud how the kids could possibly have good memories when they are on a sugar high and exhausted....but from the kids' point of view, it is candy from the candy store, and getting to stay up nice and late! Children's Day alone provided free cotton candy, and the kids got to choose from things like making and eating fried dough, tea party and cookie frosting and decorating. They did pool activities, archealological digging, pellet gun and air-soft shooting, graffiti wall, beading and playing with dollhouse stuff. They have their children's meetings, and go to the candy store, play on the playground, go in the bouncy house....fun and more fun. They do not care if they are tired. They certainly don't care if they have had too much sugar.

Today was a day to catch our breath and try to rest up a bit. We swam until Camille reallly wanted to go back to the camper....grilled cheese sandwiches in the air-conditioned camper, then I took a rest with Miss Fuss. I was still as could be, and she fell asleep.....ahh. I was starting to doze, but got a phone call from Ben, wondering when we were coming home...oh well. At least it didn't wake Camille.

Packing up to come home is the worst part, especially when you know you have to go home and unpack it all. I have done a few loads of laundry, but there are still lots of things to put away. I am too tired to do it tonight.

I am too tired to write tonight, too....I have missed it though....

9 comments:

Piper Paradise said...

And you were missed! :-)

Darla said...

Yep, you were!!! :)

Anonymous said...

home sweet home :)

Karen said...

Hot and humid here too. Missed reading your posts!

Vicki said...

Sounds like it was a nice time. It's really hot and humid here too (we live in Maryland) and I hate it! I hate everything being so sticky when I leave for work at 6am...you just know that doesn't bode well for the rest of the day. Good luck with getting everything unpacked. That is the worst part about going away for a bit.

true blessings said...

and i have missed you! glad y'all had fun and are back home~

16 blessings'mom said...

Wow, it is nice to have been missed! Thank you!

AUTISMOMMA said...

I have so missed you! I recalled you would not probably post at least until Wednesday but I kept checking anyway. Thank you for coming back!!! :)

baristamom said...

hmmmm...was i the mom who wondered how children will have good memories of summer conference while strung out on sugar and lacking sleep? I seem to remember thinking it if not mentioning it.
but, I agree with you, that they will have good memories. It's just the mommies that have to be extra patient & good to them no matter what tantrum or melt down. Thank God for the gospel of transformation, so I can be saved from my impatient and irritable self and instead have the virtues. I am just now getting caught up on reading your blogs . . .