summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

home and happy....

1. Never cross the border with an expired passport. One of my children informed me enroute that his was, indeed, expired. We got into Canada, and we got back into the U.S. of A., but the suspense almost killed us. I mean, I always feel like we did something wrong anyways when we are crossing the border, all nervous...but THIS time, I KNEW they could refuse us entry...

2. If you go on a road trip and travel home the same day, do not go to Taco Bell at 1:30 a.m. I did not eat any of the nachos or crunchy tacos, but I did laugh my head off. I am certain the drive through lady thought we were all stoners.

3. Never go to Price-Chopper after midnight with some silly teenagers. They will get you to buy grape soda, chocolate, and Twizzlers, and will try to get you to buy a giant garbage bag of leftover donuts and bread, obviously destined for the garbage can. And yes, we are still mad they were throwing it out and wouldn't sell it to us. It probably doesn't seem funny here, but if you saw my sister with that giant bag in her cart, put there by my son...it makes me laugh just remembering....

4. If you get to bed at 4 a.m. after such a road trip, put a muzzle on your sheep dog, or tie her up in the middle of a field down the road, because she WILL bark in the morning and remind you that you DIDN'T take her on her walk! Every few minutes until you roll out of bed and take her on a cheaty little walk in the side yard, in your nightgown.

5. Do not have a dentist appointment for three of you the afternoon following such a road trip. And do NOT take 15 year old boy to shop for sneakers afterward. Especially if you are in a hurry to get back home to leave for the Sports Award Dinner with your 17 year old.

6. Do not be a Mean Mom like I was, and drop the award recipient off at the auditorium, and proceed to the pool with eleven other kids. (but she said it was okay...said she was sitting with her friends anyway....I still feel guilty....but the pool water felt so nice...and it was in the high eighties outside...and our pool in the back yard is full, but the filter won't run. And Paul is in Boston....blah, I feel guilty.)

The kids were disgruntled as I tucked them into bed, asking where dinner was....we GAVE them sandwiches before the pool, and popcorn after the pool. A choice between microwaved and hot air popped with butter.

I am tired. I should have gone to bed a few hours ago. But I have a lot to think about. I heard so much at that Memorial for Reg. There are things I have to work on in my life. I need to be so much more sober in my spirit, listening to what God would say to me, and then be quick to be obedient. It is hopeful, this way that Jesus made....it is hopeful and good, and the fruits of following Him far outweigh the sufferings. I have new hope for my marriage, too. Reg and Emmi were such a good example in that area. To always be the sacrifice, to forgive and forgive again, to serve and bless! When we give, God gives to us. Yes, it is an amazing life we can have here when we are faithful in the hidden, faithful in the small.

(Just want to say that I couldn't function in these things without Mirielle...she held down the fort, got the kids up for me this morning, even made them heart-shaped waffles for breakfast...she is amazing.)

1 comment:

Tereza said...

I just have to say uh huh to all that you say we shouldn't do:) You're so fun to list them on your ol blog for us other moms who understand these things!:) And Every family should have one daughter like Mirielle!