summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 24, 2011

pictures of summertime....

I haven't taken pictures in the last few days, so I shall attempt to describe the goings on around here....

1. The relaxed pace. I slept in until 9:20 this morning, took Rosie on our walk, came back for some oatmeal with crunchy peanutbutter and my coffee, as the kids enjoyed toaster pastries and Honey Nut Cheerios. I sat down with the morning paper, and the kids started bugging to go out in the pool....

2. I went in the pool. I wasn't through relaxing, my coffee was only half gone, but I enjoyed the swim.

3. I did not realize how many towels we have! They are taking over! Swimming several times a day multiplied by several children and young adults using towels, and....you get towels everywhere.

4. Yesterday I went to the dentist and survived a filling in a wisdom tooth.

5. Mirielle and Sonja went with me, leaving Joseph home babysitting. We came home with chocolate chips, shampoo and conditioner, yogurt, peanuts, cereal, and veggies, from B.J's. The house was not only still standing, but the kids were happy in the pool with Joe.

6. It would be easier if we were one of those families who ate all three meals together, and functioned as a unit, but it just ain't so. The kitchen is always open, and I just have to live with it. I cannot "control" the teenagers, nor do I want to. It is their summer, too, and if they want to stay up half the night watching movies and sleep until noon, so be it.

7. It is never quiet or lonely here.

8. I sort of miss the days wherein I could announce we were going on an adventure, and they would jump up and down without protesting and dissenting.

9. But they grow up, and it isn't ALL protesting and dissenting.

10. With four kids going to college in the fall, we need to start looking for a more reliable car. Old Goldie has one hundred fifty thousand miles on her, and shakes like she's terrified. I HATE driving her.

11. The weather has been delectably delicious. Low humidity, low eighties, breezy, a few clouds, some thunderstorms....

12. I shared the last piece of Mirielle's deadly diet busting cheesecake with whoever would help me eat it yesterday, just to end it's reign of terror and temptation. It was a white chocolate cheesecake with Oreo crust, and hot fudge topping.

13. I made cajun chicken soup with rice, red potatoes, red peppers, and corn for dinner last night. The kids protested that it was too hot for soup, but I had leftover chicken and leftover rice.....they ended up really liking it. I am glad there is enough left for lunch, if I get to it first, that is.

14. I am considering taking the kids berry picking today.

15. Tonight is GRADUATION...blah, I hate things like graduation ceremonies. It is challenging to just sit there for so long and behave. But Paul and I are going for Aaron and Mali. I am proud of Aaron, I am not positive of his class rank, but I think it is six....and he took very hard classes. And I am proud of Mali for doubling up and graduating a year early, and still doing well in all of her classes.

16. I want summer to go by sloooowly.

17. Just the thought of school starting sickens me. I am once again thinking of homeschooling them....I do NOT want to send Miss Charlotte Claire to school. She is like a twin sister to Camille, and it almost hurts to think of separating them.....

18. Camping, picnics, bonfires, drive-in, museum of glass, mini-golfing, going out for ice cream....aahh....

19. Tomorrow is a graduation party for my sister's youngest daughter (my sister has seven daughters), she is graduating with Aaron and Mali...the kids love getting together with their cousins. I also like getting together with them.

20. The party is also for my sister's daughter Claire, who is their fourth child to graduate from college!

The younger kids have been playing dollhouse again, it is spreading across the living room. Jonathan wants to wake Sam up, because Sam is teaching him how to play the trumpet this summer (another "Poor Kids From a Big Family, They Don't Get Enough Attention" example....). Jon also is bothered that it is almost one o'clock and some of the kids are still sleeping. Jon loves summer. He does not get bored. He rides his bike all over the yard, he is as brown as a little bear. He is making bagels for himself, and Charlotte Claire, which smell so yummy, blueberry bagels...but I do not eat bagels anymore. Last night Mirielle made a batch of her homemade kettle corn made with brown sugar....I did have a small handful....it filled the whole house with a deadly yummy aroma....oh, so good. It would be way easier if I hated all that good stuff....

5 comments:

Angela said...

Did you know that Thomas' makes bagel thins, which are basically bagels with much less of the middle? They are much lower in fat and calories but still taste yummy.

Mom said...

I love to read about your family. It is always so busy. Good luck with your "life style" changes (not diet). We just joined WW again and I think I have lost 7 lbs this first week. Woo-hoo! I don't know if I could survive with all of the good food it sounds like you have at your house.

Sherah said...

Oh, that kettle corn popcorn sounds sooooo good. Parmesan REAL butter popcorn is currently something I am trying not to have more than once a week (I'm pregnant, I can have a few indulgences, right?).

At summer conference, a sister (Mom of 10, I think?) from Montana who stayed in our dorm with us for the whole week with her family, made peanut butter popcorn! A whole, HUGE bowl of it - yowza! It was just sitting there on one of the tables in the dorm room and was oh, so tempting when everyone was in the meeting and I was staying back with the little ones watching from the tv moniter.

I've always wanted to make kettle corn, but the Karo syrup it requires scares me away...lol.

16 blessings'mom said...

My kids like to make popcorn way too frequently...it smells SO good, hard to resist...the kettlecorn Mirielle makes doesn't have Karo syrup, just 1/4 brown sugar dumped into 1/2 cup of kernels in a few tablespoons of oil, preferably when the oil is nice and hot...keep that pan moving, shake constantly while it pops, and wash between batches, assuming one isn't enough...really, since it has no butter, it probably isn't TOO deadly....

Sherah said...

Wow, that is so cool sounding!!! Now you're making me wonder if maybe you could make something similar with honey....hmmmmm....