summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

rainy, cloudy, cozy...and stuck in the house!

 Okay, it isn't funny anymore, let me out!  We're in a vehicle desert here too, only the one car running, my nice new car.  Miss Sonja K. had classes and work all day, so the driveway is actually empty.  Our minivan is in the shop, needs work, and an inspection, and as you all know, the truck died a gruesome death, and has been towed away to be picked apart by parts vultures, or maybe compacted up and...?  

We can neither vehicle shop, nor rent a car, which would be covered under our insurance, because we cannot leave the house, so we wouldn't have anywhere to go anyway.

It's strangely comforting, while being slightly unsettling.

Jonathan accidentally called nine-one-one this afternoon, so if I have to drop my computer and run to answer the door while looking totally not guilty, that's why.  I didn't do anything wrong, but cops make me feel like I probably did.  My main reason for not wanting to get arrested EVER is that my hands don't really reach each other behind my back, and handcuffs would hurt really bad.  I watched the video of the 60 yr old lady in Texas, going into the Bank of America without gasp!, you aren't going to believe the audacity, but without a MASK.  She just wanted to withdraw some money, she said.  A police officer was not having it, nor hearing it, he tried to herd her out of the bank, she just wanted to withdraw her money.  No offense to anyone, but just watching this video made it obvious to me that this poor woman wasn't dealing a whole deck, she was slightly addled, or maybe just upset and rambling, I don't know.  But I do know that she was ungently lowered to that bank floor, and that poor woman was handcuffed, then told to get up.  Now, can we just stop right here for a minute?  If I were lying on a floor, and was told to get up, it would take me a few just to figure out how exactly to do it...I would get up on my knees, I think, but to do that with my hands behind my back?  What am I, a magician?  I couldn't do that!  I've often thought of that as I watched "Cops!", if they held a gun to my head and said, get up, I would have to tell them to go ahead and shoot, because it's not happening.

That was a long tangent, but anyway, Jonathan did accidentally call that number, hung up, was called back by the emergency call center, to confirm it all was okay, but sometimes they send a car out anyway.  So we're behaving ourselves just in case the cops come.  Jon said, "Mom, you do know you are crazy, right?", as I told them if the police come, don't mention we are quarantined, because then if we go for a walk...

Anyway, it's not the first time it's happened, one of the girls called 911 when she was little, and when the cop came, he asked to talk to the child who made the call.  He sternly told her it was not funny, and that poor child, with her mouth turned down, waiting for the chastisement to end and that officer to leave, so she could run down to her room and cry.  

Once Camille called 911 when she was a baby playing with the phone.  I don't for the life of me know how she could have done that, but I was probably doing something really important like writing on my blog.  I quick got the kids dressed and took them out for a walk, and it worked!  The officer drove by, stopped and asked who I was and if I was all right, phew.  See, the house was a mess, and I was NO WAY inviting the police in.

Just some rain, but oh that grass is getting green!

Anyone know what this is?  It's a cake!  I made it today, so the girls could make cake balls!  They crumble it up when it cools down, mix in a can of chocolate frosting, and make balls...put them in the freezer.  In a little while, we'll melt some chocolate, and they'll dip them, and I'll drool all over, but no, not for me, I cannot.  I already know they taste good, I don't need to try them just to make sure.


So, I made a pie for ME.  The crust:  melted butter with a dash of coconut flour and almond flour, and toasted pecans.  The filling:  heavy cream with a box of no sugar pudding mix, mixed with cream cheese vanilla, and a dash of fake sweetener.  Topping:  berries.

Sonja is home now, it was weird to have her gone, after all these days of us being home together.  She is off quarantine, and doesn't have to be Covid tested for at least 90 days.

Ah well, I'm looking forward to eating the pie, and watching the girls make their cake balls...and yes, I'll share my pie.


8 comments:

Susan said...

I am laughing sooo... hard! Della, you sure can tell a good story! ♥️Susan

Terri D said...

Your pie looks yummy and I can almost taste the cake balls! Interesting blog!! xo

Cheryl said...

I saw the video of that woman in the bank who was arrested.

Personally, I have zero sympathy for her, She was asked, several times, to put on her mask and refused. When you are on private property, and yes a bank is private property, and you are asked to follow their rules, like wearing clothes, not waving a gun, not screaming like an idiot, wearing a mask, etc. just do it, or get out. If you don't get out, you will be arrested, it's that simple.

You know, I just don't get why wearing a mask and distancing is such a big deal. This is the first winter in many years, that I have not had a cold or the flu during New York's cold and snowy season. My husband and I have decided that even when mask wearing is no longer required, we will continue to wear one during cold and flu season. Such a small thing to do and guess what? I don't feel like my rights are being violated in the least.

I say pick your battles folks...pick your battles.

Unknown said...

Brahahahahahahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Della you are so funny 😆 I know for sure I would never be able to get up with my hands strapped behind my back. I have enough trouble as it is!! Oh dear.............

The pie looks good so I hope you enjoyed it. Have a great day 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Kara said...

We've purchased two cars from AutoNation, mostly shopping online and then doing the final test drive once we've picked out the car that is closest to our specific needs at that time. Carvana is another option for online car buying. If anything, it starts the process of finding what you need and what is available at your price range.

16 blessings'mom said...

Susan, thank you!
Terri, the pie is really good, for being low sugar, but those cake balls looked so good...I didn't try any, but the whole house smelled like chocolate!
Cheryl, I'm sorry you have zero sympathy for Bank of America Lady. Yes, she was being stubborn and defiant, but I simply cannot believe that we have reached this level of sheep-dom so fast. Perhaps there are people who are still believing what they were told by Dr. Fauci in the beginning, that masks do not work. Maybe she is fully vaccinated, maybe she has a medical exemption which is perfectly legal, or maybe she had a traumatic experience with having her breathing obstructed, either a medical incident or abuse. We don't know the whole story. In any case, if you believe that a mask saves you from germs, then you should absolutely continue to wear one. I wear a mask, when I go into stores, when it is required, because I like shopping, and it's the only way I can go. I wear one in airports, and on planes, it's the price I have to pay. But shh, I do not like it. I think masks, unless used in a medical setting with hand washing, disposing after use, ect, are absolutely disgusting. People pull them from their pockets, touch them when they're wearing them, pull them down to sneeze and cough, get them all steamed up and wet, then wear them again, then touch while wearing, and touch everything around them...yuck. Social distancing makes a little bit more sense, and I suppose the argument that doing both is practical, but ugh. I don't know all the answers, but as humans, it seems we are so absolutely intolerant these days of anyone who doesn't think the same way about things. This was a 60 year old lady, being lowered to the floor and handcuffed, over wearing a piece of fabric over her face. I'm still not okay with it. For now, it's "Just Wear The Mask!", but soon it'll be Only Those With Proof of Vaccine allowed to enter places, travel, attend schools and colleges...it's going to get worse....
Marilyn, I know, getting up in handcuffs, worse nightmare!
Kara, good idea! Thank you!

Cheryl said...

Dr. Fauci NEVER said masks do not work. He said there was no need to wear one at that time, and I can understand exactly why he said that, and if you thought about it, you would understand it as well, especially since you have many family members in the medical field. If in fact there had been a mask mandate back in March 2020,there most certainly would have been a run on masks...without a doubt. Think about it. What happened to toilet paper, cleaning supplies, some foodstuff, etc? The shelves were emptied. Calling for everyone to wear a mask would have left front line workers,doctors, nurses, etc. up a creek without a paddle. Once factories stepped up production on masks, and people started making them at home, and businesses began making them from cotton, all within a few weeks, masks were mandated, in states with thinking governors...

And that poor defiant 60 year old woman who was handcuffed? Not one person in that bank felt the least bit of sympathy for her. Not a single person backed her up even when she attempted to garner support. And what did she do? She called them sheep. A real class act that poor woman.

I wear the mask and social distance when I am out and about, so I can stay healthy and protect others around me. I don't get my mask all steamed up and wet and I have yet to see a wet mask on anyone and have never seen anyone pull their mask down and sneeze and cough. Do I like wearing a mask? Nope, and I don't like putting on a seat belt, and wearing shoes in some stores, and going the speed limit, and having to pay school taxes when I have no children in school, and many other rules and regulations that have been around for years, well before I was a twinkle in my daddy's eye. But, for the most part I do it and I have been living that way for a long time, as have you and many others. So, I guess we have all been living that "level of sheep-dom" as you call it, well before a mask mandate was instituted.

If we need to be outraged, let's be outraged about the NYC woman, shopping with her 3 young children in a bakery, this past Sunday, 3/21/21, who would not put on a mask and than called the black man, working the counter, a "bitch ass n&**%$" because he would not serve her, unless she put her mask on. She said it in front of her young children, nice, real nice.

16 blessings'mom said...

Cheryl, people who swear in front of their young children are not on my favorite's list, I am agreement with you on that for sure. I can't even imagine the effect that had on those kids, and that racism is sickening. When we were in Florida, we saw a woman just reaming out her teenage daughter, lacing the F word in every sentence just for good measure, it was awful. Swearing AT your children is sickening too.
We are never going to agree, so I'll just agree to disagree. I personally thought it was a very sad state of affairs that no one in that bank felt any sympathy for the woman. She is an American, she doesn't have to be a "class act" to be respected. I'm not saying she was wise to go in without a mask when there clearly is a rule to wear one, and I don't have answers of how it could have been handled, BUT: it's still makes me feel sick how the other customers seemed to approve of her being taken down and cuffed.
I think Dr. Fauci said what he said, then later backpedaled, to justify what he said. These are his exact words, "There is no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think it is. And often, there are unintended consequences-people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face."
This whole thing has been a learning curve, that's for sure.