summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sunday funday home day sick day...sunshine day!

Where do I even start, with all the fun we've been having around here?  We spent half the day on the deck in the 61 degree sunshine.  It's my kind of weather, all sunny with that cool-ish breeze.  No one was going anywhere, and no one coming over, there is a certain peace in that.  We're usually like Grand Central Station here, with all the coming and going. 

We did walk down the road a little bit, we never see neighbors, and one car passed us.  Shh, not technically quarantined, but it's outside, and we live on such a rural road.




Paul even joined us.  We let Sunny off the leash, she swamp tromped, little devil. Jon might kill me if he sees that I posted this, him all barefoot and redneck.  Paul was glad for the fresh air and sunshine, but is back on the couch under some covers.  He's not feeling TERRIBLY awful, but he is definitely up and down, and not feeling good.  

We have a pork roast in the crock pot for pulled pork nachos, and it's almost time for afternoon coffee.   I'm thankful that we seem to be doing okay, thankful that there are still four kids at home, they played some volleyball in the yard, and have fun together.  

Ah well,  thank you all for good and kind words and comments, and for prayers.  When Paul woke up this morning and went straight for the couch, I was a bit worried.  It just isn't like him.  But he keeps picking himself up, joining us, then retreating back to the couch.  He's so independent, too, won't let me wait on him...If mind over matter made someone well, then...he would be well.  

Me, if I were sick, I think I'd be more inclined to just settle in and just be sick, you know, shrug off responsibilities and relax.  Not that I WANT to be sick, but I tend to hover over more towards the lazy side...yes, I'd stay right there on the couch.:). That being said, I truly hope I don't get this thing, hope I already had it, or that I have fought it off...!  (That's what makes this whole thing so much fun, right?  The guessing games, the drawing conclusions!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della............lovely sunshine and great you can get out.. I hope Maggie or whatever her name is doesn’t read about this!! 🀣🀣🀣🀣 I think the fresh air is a good thing......better than being stuck on the couch if one can manage it. Like you said...you live on a quiet road. Jon is hilarious!! I got cold just looking at that picture.........I’m always cold so there you go!! We’re having pork too.......a tenderloin and I have a great recipe and it’s delicious. We will have roasted potatoes, roasted yams and some broccoli and apple sauce with it.......πŸ˜‹I haven’t made pulled pork forever. I need a troop to come for supper. I also make pulled chicken and pulled beef......I’m sure you do too. The crock pot is amazing for that. I took my Bindi to the dog park this afternoon and there was mud 😬 and water sloughs 😬 and what a good girl.......I told her to stay away and she DID!! Both ways! She got a treat for that 🐾🐾 Anyway enjoy the rest of the day πŸ₯°

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Babbalou said...

I am almost the opposite of you. I have a grad degree, I married in my 30s, worked outside the home my whole life until retirement, have 2 adult sons, am not religious in any traditional sense, and I am an old hippie liberal.

But I agree with you on this - Covid shaming is terribly wrong. We all need to be better than this. We are in a pandemic and covid is an illness. The stress on people, particularly kids but old people as well has been terrible. We need to be with other people if the risks aren't too high. People who get sick need love and care, not criticism.

I admit I've stayed home during the last year due to age and health issues. But I don't criticize anyone who has had to work or let their kids play with other kids or who might have visited a vulnerable older person - in your case an older person who just lost a "child" - because no matter how old they are, to a mom, our kids are always our child.

Your love and concern for your family shines through your blog. You've made the choices that were right for your family. We are all doing the best that we can during these challenging days.

I sincerely hope that everyone in your family recovers quickly and without any lasting effects.

We need to be kind to each other.

My best to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Yay! So good to see you all out in the sunshine! Even if Paul returned to the couch...
Yay for Syracuse! They're doing awesome 😎 My only bracket that hasn't been busted.
Valerie

Babbalou said...

Forgot to add (because I am hopping up and down making dinner here) that I always liked what Jackie Kennedy allegedly said once - something like, if your kids don't turn out well, nothing else you ever did matters very much.

So true.

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, these are really really old pictures, no they aren't, I cannot lie. We did walk down the road, guilty we are. I also hope Maggie doesn't read my blog ha! Bindi stayed away from mud AND water sloughs? Wow, good pup! Suri stayed on the leash and ambled, for most of the walk. Jon did unleash her and let her have a splash with Sunny, but if we didn't let her, she would have been fine. Sunny is all about the adventure, but still stays near us. And that crockpot is worth it's weight in gold, especially on a nice day like today here, dinner was so easy!
Babbalou, hello! You are very kind, I appreciate your comforting words. My MIL has lost a "child", as old as he was, and she did need some hugs. It's all stressful though, I know someone commented recently about me being "cavalier" about this whole thing, as much as I love that word, she is wrong...can you imagine the anguish if my MIL had gotten sick from being with me? It's all weighing and measuring the risks, being careful, yet living life...I have stayed awake nights, tossing and turning, thinking and rethinking different choices, making decisions carefully. Thank you again for your kind words, it truly warms my heart.
Valerie, we totally enjoyed that game! Buddy Buckets indeed! They were awesome, what a game.
...and Jackie Kennedy was right...such wisdom!

Michelle said...

Good to see you all getting that sunshine & fresh air! I don’t know why anyone would have a problem with you going for a walk with your family that you’re quarantined with? The whole point is to stay away from others so you don’t get them sick, which you are doing. The absolute worst advice would be to stay stuck inside, lonely and avoiding exactly what strengthens our immune system: sun(vitamin D) and breathing fresh air (mask free! Why do people wear masks outside when no one is even near them??)

It’s good that Paul is getting outside too, and getting rest as well. That’s what my 70-year old family member did while he was sick, he recovered from Covid without any treatment other than taking mucinex, Motrin for fever, and vit d3/k2 drops. Hoping Paul feels better soon.

16 blessings'mom said...

Michelle, I know, it makes perfect sense to me too. Paul and I both take vitamin D with vitamin K2, on a regular basis. I'm not sure he's better yet, but he hasn't been getting worse, so there's that. He absolutely hates when I ask him all the time how he's feeling, he doesn't like to be babied I guess. The girls are doing well though...they had equivalent of bad colds, besides the loss of taste and smell for one of them. I would think that after this, we shouldn't have to wear masks anymore, but here in NY, that is not gonna happen anytime soon...