summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 22, 2021

sunshine, coffee, and hope...

 Sunshine...I do love the umbrella sky, when there's nary a cloud to pass in front of the sun to shiver us up as the temps are in the very low sixties.  We were actually too hot on the deck yesterday!  Oh, the things we can find to complain about, right?

Sunny days are nice, so refreshing and hopeful after a long cold snowy winter.  But to be truthful, I won't mind when the cloudy rainy weather comes, as it certainly will, along with at least a few more snowy days.  Cloudy weather, rainy days, are perfectly cozy, and I would not want to live in a climate with too much sunshine, partly because then I wouldn't appreciate the sunny days as much as I do.

Blah blah blah about the weather, right?  Central New Yorkers are known for their weather-plaining.  Too hot, too cold, have you ever seen this much snow?  We're also famous for driving with the car windows down when it hits forty degrees, and wearing shorts as soon as the sun comes out, snow on the ground or not.  


There's still a good bit of ice on that pool cover...

So Joy asked about coffee, the French Press...well, Jonathan makes his that way every morning, takes that thing with him on trips.  It's also from Target, a Bodem, I think.  I think a few grounds are par for the course, but I'll check with him on that.  I use the pour over, just a plastic Melita pour over, with a coffee filter in it.  Our electric kettle has died, so we're back to the stove top kettle until the new electric is delivered.  Anyway, put two scoops of coffee in, pour on some hot water, let it soak in for a bit, then then continue to pour that water over the coffee, letting it drip into the cup...mmmm.  Fresher and cleaner tasting than from a coffee pot.



Now, onto the third item from the title, hope.  (sometimes I write titles, then the blog has nothing to do with the title, I'd be fired if I were ever hired!).  Spring time symbolizes hope, whether you believe in God, or not.  I just want to say that in the midst of hoping for better days, we can stumble right past the moments that are now.  I have always had a fascination with the concept of now, the present.  I remember being little, and sitting on the scratchy brown plaid couch at home, looking down at the arm of that couch, and thinking, THIS is NOW.   I remember sitting on the floor reading the comics, perhaps using Silly Putty to copy Marmaduke or Family Circle, while the radio played, "....bye, bye, Miss American Pie...", and thinking, THIS is NOW.    We can't hold onto it, time slips and meanders and flies, and none of are guaranteed tomorrow, but we all have now.  So...let's make the most of it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della.......such wise words! Yes we have to live in the present for sure. When you are young you never think you will be old......don’t really think about it too much, or at least I didn’t. Then one day you wake up and look in the mirror and see your mother’s face staring back at you!! 🥰 I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer and not so fussy about winter 🥶 Here in Alberta we also weather-plain too ( that’s a great saying Della) and I don’t wear shorts till it’s 80 degrees!! I agree there’s nothing like that first cup of coffee.....mmmmmmmmmm........☕️

I hope your Covid gang are doing well. You are such a sensible mum.......keep doing what you are doing as it’s right for you. 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Terri D said...

I enjoyed catching up here. I love French press coffee but I bet your drip system is just as good! Thanks for telling us about it! xo

Joybells said...

Yum! And thank you for the detailed instructions, complete with an illustration! :) I'm going to try the Melita. I've decided that good coffee is worth the effort. :)

So glad to see all the sunshiney pictures and fresh air intake. It really seems like providential timing doesn't it? I don't know if you said you like spring best, but I do...the perfect mix of sunshine and storms, while flowers and new leaves burst out into joyful bloom. It feels like the whole natural world goes giddy with hope and expectation for a month or two. I love it!! Summer is wonderful of course but spring is downright awesome. Here's to your ice melting soon!

Joy from Salem

Betty said...

Glad to see springtime popping up so that the family can enjoy some healing vitamin d. I recall those promising spring days when we lived up there, the smells of fresh spring air and the beauty of daffodils popping up. It was God's promise of what was to come. One year we hauled the boat to the Adirondacks on a Friday night in May the week before memorial day only to turn around on Saturday as our tent was covered with snow. Now in Florida if we have several grey days as we just experienced we call them Syracuse days!
Wishing your family sunny days and a return to good health☺

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I also look at my hands and see my mother's hands, old and wrinkled. I wear her wedding band on my right hand, and wow, it is like looking at her hands.
Terri, I do like my pour over coffee, it's so simple, but we do go through a lot of coffee filters!
Joy, yes spring is amazing. Our winters are harsh, but spring, ahh.
Betty, yes, that vitamin D! We went to the Adirondacks for a weekend in early June once, back when we had our pop-up camper, and five kids. The youngest had just been born in May, so yes, I was camping with a new newborn. It was freezing that weekend, went down to forty or so at night, brrr. Syracuse days, ha! I'm glad you get to be in Florida now, I love visiting there, it's just fantastic to get away from winter...and thank you for your kind words.