summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 18, 2021

what on earth should this blog title be?

1.  3 Down, 3 To Go

2.  Haters Gonna Hate

3.  We Deserved This

4.  True Lockdown

5.  Phone Calls From the Health Department

6.  Why Didn't I Buy More Chocolate Last Week?

7.  Kids, Don't Waste The Milk!

8.  My Soul Aches...

9.  One Year Anniversary of Covid Lockdown in CNY Celebrated in Quarantine For Local Family

10. At  Least You're Tan. (someone said that to me once, when I was eight and a half months pregnant with my eleventh child...no lie!)

So here's the shameful story...shameful, because when a person gets COVID-19, they are BAD, right?

Sorry.  I'll take a breath and start again, without the sarcasm.  As referenced in choice #8, my soul aches.  Paul is sick in bed.  He tested negative yesterday, but feels awful.  He is 58 years old.  He is my rock, my faithful strong guy, who takes care of everything.  He's fine, that's his standard response.  He has driven himself to urgent care with cellulitis, had knee surgery on Christmas Eve, then insisted we stop at Lowe's on the way home, to get oil to shine up the guitar he was giving to one of Sonja's friends.  Nothing much stops him.  To have him sick, especially because I'm 99% certain it's the dreaded virus, hurts my heart.   

Another one of the kids is positive, the rest of us negative. She feels yucky, but if you want to say she deserves it, please just say it to your dog, or to your therapist, don't say it to me.  Because right now?  I feel like I'm going to cry.  We've navigated through this year trying to balance between being crazy careful, and living our lives.  We've worn our masks, disinfected, wiped things down, and continued to wear the masks.  Yes, I've gone to Florida, yes, we've gotten together, and yes, we HAVE lived our lives.  We've done all of it within the guidelines.  In the beginning of all of this, I got these kids out of the house a few times a week, even if it was to Target, with masks on when they were starting to be required.   We went on drives, and to parks, and made the most of our time here at home.  They played The Settlers of Catan, and we watched some Netflix shows together, we discovered Butter Chicken, and homemade Naan bread.   

We didn't get together with most of our family for months, and when we first did, it was outside, all social distanced. We didn't see our nurse daughters for MONTHS.   We started gathering more when I realized that there were huge daycare centers open, and hey, if those workers could be with all those kids, I could be with my grandkids.  

But it wasn't all systems go!  We followed the news, and when things started getting bad around here, in central NY state,  we kept our distance again.  When we finally went back to church meetings, we wore masks and distanced, sat far apart.  

The numbers here in our area are really low again, and here we are.  Neither Paul nor I have gotten the vaccine because in NY, the way it has been distributed has been, in my humble opinion, rather questionable.  The lowest age now is 60, so we aren't eligible yet.  It's offered to health care, teachers, hotel workers, ect., but not regular people who are 55 and 58, without a dr. note.  I am not certain how I feel about the vaccine yet anyway, but even so, don't shame us for not doing what we haven't been able to do!  

Covid shaming.  As if when someone is sick, they deserve to have insult added to injury.  Our own King Cuomo stated recently that the numbers in NYC are higher because of "bad behavior".  Excuse me?  These people are riding the subway to work, not because they don't feel like driving their nice cars, but because they don't have cars!  They have to work for a living, they have to get out and live, they don't have a choice, and he's shaming them!  It's horrible!

I didn't want to write about having the virus in the house, because I knew I would get the you deserve it comments.  To me, having the health department calling me, all up in our business, is uncomfortable, and I just don't like government overstep at all, so this whole situation is no fun.   

Here's a few pics of some girls doing school work...responsible, sweet, honest, caring, hard-working girls...(and the lazy girls, the Labs, ha...) 


(I love how the Christmas pillow is still out, and it says Calm and Bright ha)

One of these girls goes to public school, twice a week, social distances, small classroom numbers, with a mask on.  She plays her clarinet in band, all alone in a room, she doesn't have the luxury to play WITH the other band members, which has always been her dream, and is the very reason she went back to Real School.  She does all of her schoolwork, at home or at school, and is teaching herself to play the violin.  She has practiced through the first book, ordered and gone through the second level, and the third book came in the mail today.  She is writing another story (she is always writing something!), Sonja printed like 60 pages of it for her, because she likes to edit it on real paper.  She also draws, and paints. 

The other girl in this picture is a college student, waiting each day with anticipation to see if she is accepted into the nursing program, it's a highly accredited one, hard to get into.  She works part time, and is the absolute sunshine of our home.  She laughs at herself, she makes things fun. 

And as I've mentioned, Paul is sick in bed.  I hope and pray he gets a mild case, and that he is able to fight this off. 

So yes, I decided to jump right in, and be honest, and let my friends out here in Bloggy-Land know exactly what is going on...   

The whole world is in the throes of figuring this thing out, I know we aren't the only ones, nor the first ones, to struggle through...

But still, these people here are my people, I love them with all of my heart, and to see them suffer, is suffering to me, and bye for now, I'm going to have myself a good cry.


13 comments:

Susan said...

Well, I will say I remember how careful you were at Christmas when your nurse daughters did not come and celebrate. I never once saw you take this lightly and I just think it is interesting that people feel at ease to hide behind their computers and make rude comments.
I have been very careful and 10 months into the pandemic developed Covid. It happens. Thankfully no one was so unkind as to make me feel I deserved what I got.
I am praying that Paul has a complete and rapid recovery.
I love you Della. ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan

Michelle said...

I’m sorry that Paul is sick. But he tested negative for covid? Do you think the test is wrong? I have wondered about the accuracy of those tests. I’ll be praying for Paul and the rest of your family. You are an excellent mother, don’t let anyone shame you or your family because of a virus. Do they shame people for catching the flu or a cold? We all can’t stay home and hide away from the world. Covid is everywhere, no matter what we do it will still be there. I know people up north who were so, so careful not to be exposed and still got it. 20 days is a looong time to be in quarantine, yikes! I feel for you. Hope everyone who is sick recovers quickly and the rest stay well.

Unknown said...

Oh Della! I’m so sorry to hear about Paul 😔 I really am. And truly, no one needs to be cutting and nasty and rude like anonymous was. Just remember, you can’t change what other people say (or write) but just how you react to it. Just be bigger than that. She’s walking her own path as you are and we all are. You did nothing wrong.......everything was within the guidelines of your state from what I can gather. You took care etc. You have enough to think about right now to give it/her another thought......honestly. Take a nice walk and breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the day. 🥰🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Oh Della. Sigh. I had hoped there would *only* be one positive/sick patient in your home, not your rock Paul! I will be praying.
Valerie

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're stressing! We had the same thing over Christmas, son spent Christmas Eve with a friend who tested positive the 27th. We spent Christmas day with him, he lives here :)
He had a negative test, with symptoms, we were all quarantined, and then he had a positive test, but they told him the same day he could return to work, it had been long enough he wasn't contagious. It's a bit weird and frustrating, I admit! But I hope you're cheering up and not worrying!! Praying so.

S*

*LONG time reader, first time commenter? love your blog from all the way in San Diego!

Terri D said...

Gosh, I am sorry to read that people are being unkind with their comments. I just lost my husband to COVID after doing everything 'right' so I understand completely. Thankfully, I have not had people being unkind. Shame on the people who said unkind things to you. Hugs.

Judy Weniger said...

I am so sorry to hear that your family has covid. I will be praying...
Like you we are careful, our girls do college at home. One goes to work 1 day a week at college.y husband must go in every day and works in numerous medical facilities. He is careful and so far good. Sometimes we see our grandchildren. Our grandkids are home all day with mama so it’s pretty safe.
I have to trust God. As Christians we need to have faith that He cares, not to say none of us will get sick but He has our lives in His hands.
Praying your family recovers quickly and the rest of you stay well.
Judy

Krysta B said...

I’m very sorry your household is dealing with the covid nightmare and I will pray for good health for all. Do not apologize for living life with proper precautions. I travel from NY to FL every month. My only child goes to college there and I want to see her. My choice, my life.
My father in law is 95 years old and is hospitalized and his own son cannot see him in his last days, we cannot go in to say goodbye, he can’t hear well enough to FaceTime, so there will be no closure, last prayers, words etc. This is not a way to live (or die). We have been vaccinated and so has he but they still will not make an exception.
My point is this is still a free country (until that is changed too) and do not let anyone make you feel bad about exercising your own freedoms.

Krysta B said...

I’m very sorry your household is dealing with the covid nightmare and I will pray for good health for all. Do not apologize for living life with proper precautions. I travel from NY to FL every month. My only child goes to college there and I want to see her. My choice, my life.
My father in law is 95 years old and is hospitalized and his own son cannot see him in his last days, we cannot go in to say goodbye, he can’t hear well enough to FaceTime, so there will be no closure, last prayers, words etc. This is not a way to live (or die). We have been vaccinated and so has he but they still will not make an exception.
My point is this is still a free country (until that is changed too) and do not let anyone make you feel bad about exercising your own freedoms.

Izabela said...

So sorry to hear. You guys are a wonderful family. Praying your husband recovers well. This whole virus has caused SO much division and in my opinion it is the media that has caused it. I believe no matter what we do the government will do what they want to do regardless of how careful we are. I recommend people just look away from main stream media and start doing their own homework about what we are facing on a global scale. Many are starting to protest but the media will not show that because of the freedoms being taken. In Canada it is crazy!

shellie said...

Awww, I'm so sorry you are all going through this😢 no judgement here, we are all trying to get through this the best we can. My 9 year old granddaughter had to be tested last week,send home from school because of a cough,tested negative, but us not wanting to tell anyone for fear of being judged,it's a shame. I am saying prayers for your family, go have a good cry,in my experience it will make you feel better. Big hugs from Truro,Nova Scotia, Canada 💕💖

Anonymous said...

Yes have a cry as that is truly awful if you get these stupid comments. No one deserves this virus, no one, what a dumb and heartless thing to say. And you do not need to justify how you have all made it through the year.
Very best wishes to all, you are in my thoughts.
Simone

16 blessings'mom said...

Susan, thank you, you are so kind! (I'm glad you did okay and got better!)I feel so blessed that so many nice friends have taken the time to say genuinely good things here, and have offered prayers. There is so much goodness, why in the world did I get so effected by the criticism?
Michelle, there is no doubt the test was either wrong, or he tested too soon. He is definitely sick. And thank you for your wise words.:)
Valerie, I know, I was hoping so too. Two of the girls tested positive, and Paul is sick. I remember some of the stomach bugs and flus we got when all the kids were at home, oh dear, it would go through like wildfire, but even then, not everyone got sick, so I'm hopeful.
Hi S. from SanDiego! I think that's the same with Paul, he was negative but if he tested again I'm sure he would be positive. The frustrating thing is that the ones who are negative have to quarantine ten days longer than the ones who are positive. We are in jail here until after Easter!
Terri, hugs to you! I am so sorry for what you have gone through. Maybe we can meet up on one of my trips to Florida, when this is all done and we're all clear to go back out into society. I think the culture is different in Florida, in NY, even our gov. is shaming, referring to positives as "misbehaving".
Judy, yes it's good to remember that our lives are in His hands!
Krysta, that is so sad about your F-I-L. It's just wrong. If they can have people test or show proof of vac to go to sporting events, why can't they do that for hospital visits? It's heartbreaking. I've been so thankful to be able to go visit Eleanor, my MIL, in Florida. It's simple humanity, to be with our older loved ones.
Izabela, I just saw where a preacher was arrested and put into solitary confinement in Canada! It is crazy, the rights that are being taken away, and yes, main stream media is horrific.
Shellie, aww, poor girl. It's awful that kids have that stigma attached to being sick, as if they can help it! Kids should live such carefree lives, we as adults need to fight for that for them as much as we can. On our trip to Florida this time, we spent hours on the beach, and seeing the kids running and playing in the water without masks on was so refreshing. I said, "What, those kids need to be in school behind plexiglass barriers with masks on all day, not running around in the sunshine!"
Simone, thank you. You are very kind.