summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 20, 2021

title: regulated down time? stuck at home? sick sick sick? ahh, finally the covid....!

 What should the title be today?

We've Got the Cooties...

Taste and Smell, Where Have You Gone?

Will This Get Worse, or Are We Out of The Woods?

Am I Going To Get This and Die?

Day Follows Day, Same Same Same...

Yes, I am a drama queen.  It's just that this virus has been blasted about for weeks and months, we've been on guard, warned, educated and re-educated, it's the elephant in the grocery store as masks obscure smiles, and that customer getting too close is considered possibly deadly.  Stranger danger takes on a new meaning, as anyone entering my space might kill me, those invisible little droplets are everywhere!  Then, after a year, after the numbers have gone down around here, after we think the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer and brighter, bam.  It's in the house, and it's not just the throw-up bug.  

Part of the reason I'm going on and on about having it here in the house is because there is such a victim blaming stigma of actually having it, here in our state anyway.  We must have been bad.  We should have stayed locked in our bubble, we would have been safe.  But guess what?  It is not WRONG to be human, and humans are programmed to actually be with other humans.  

Maggie from the health department sternly warned me that the two girls here who are sick need to be separated from the family, stay in their rooms, eat from paper plates, with me bringing their food to their rooms.  Teenagers that they are, they might not suffer too much from this, in fact it might be the ultimate teenager vacation, as long as they have their phones and their computers.  But guess what?  No way in HECK, absolutely NOT.   I don't even know where to start.  Does anyone out there believe in keeping an eye on what their kids are doing online anymore?  What about depression, anxiety, worry, all these things that are plaguing the kids these days, and then you want me to lock them in their rooms for ten days?  Sorry Maggie, not happening.  She also said we need to wear masks around the house.  um, no?

I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again, in our rural county alone:  the overdoses, the suicides, the suicide attempts, the domestic violence...have all gone up, WAY up!  This is a worldwide problem, with doctors reporting that even young children, 8 and 9 years old, showing up in emergency rooms and seeking counseling for suicide attempts.  This isolated lifestyle is not healthy.

I don't have the answers.  I do know that Paul is definitely sick, he's very tired and achy.  I hope and pray he doesn't get sicker.  The girls are okay, they say that if they didn't know it was the dreaded Covid, and it was "normal times", they would function fine and go to school, work, wherever, the way they feel right now.  Remember those commercials for the cough and cold medication, just take some and head out the door!  Never mind who you are infecting.  It seems like archaic thinking now, doesn't it?

One of the girls cannot taste or smell anything yet.  Has anyone who reads this had this happen?  Any input on how long it lasts?  One thing I have appreciated so much is when you all comment and share your own experiences.  It's hopeful, and helpful.  

Life itself is hopeful.  The fact that we woke up this morning, right?  It doesn't always feel like that, but start with some basic thankfulness, and get yourself on track.  I gave the kids a challenge yesterday:  "Okay, when these weeks are over, and we are able to get back out doing things and being with people again, let's make sure we have more oil in our lamps, that we take things so seriously, and aren't lazy spiritually!  Let's get as much out of this trial as we possibly can!"  Then Miss Charlotte Claire answered, "Isn't that what we're supposed to do all the time anyway?"    bingo, Miss Char.

We do live in marvelous times.  Our electric tea kettle died, probably from chronic over-use, we make pour over coffees all day long...but wowza, just go to Target.com, and click, and a new one will be coming on Monday!  Shh, I know we have $23 coming out of our bank account, but still.  

I am glad I already stocked up on Easter candy, we'll be fine there.  Sonja actually gets out of quarantine next week, and I'll be sending her to Wegmans for a ham.  Yes, we do live in marvelous times.  If you live anywhere near a Wegmans, I'll tell you a secret:  their hams are the ultimate, under $2 a pound near Easter time, and lower in sodium than most ham...brown sugar cured spiral sliced, oh dear, they're good. 

Camille just told me that one year ago today was the first nice day last year.  It's very bright and sunny today, and we WILL be going outside.  I'm very thankful we have a yard.  I'm sad that Wulf is turning three and his birthday party at our place had to be cancelled.  It was supposed to be tomorrow, a nice warm spring day, it would be perfect, a small party with just some of the family, but now, um, we can't.  

I hope you all have the best first day of spring you possibly can!  

13 comments:

Mandy said...

I sure hope everyone is feeling better soon. I will be soooo, soooo glad when this virus is contained.

Susan said...

I lost my sense of smell for 5 or 6 days. That was how I knew for sure that I had Covid, I did the “Susan home test method” with a jar of Vicks and when I could not smell it I knew for sure! (I did go and get a real test just in case). Not sure about the sense of taste because I had no appetite during that time period. I am completely recovered!

Rachel said...

So sorry that your family has been hit with COVID. Our family was hit between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My husband contracted it at work and brought it home to us. By the time he had symptoms, we had all been exposed so we were not quarantining in different rooms, etc. His first real symptom was being tired. Then we were eating Indian food one night and he couldn't taste it...off to Urgent Care where he was told that yes he probably had it and that he should quarantine. The kids and I all started showing symptoms within 48 hours. Bill lost his sense of taste/smell for about a week. I lost all sense of taste and smell for about a month. I was finally able to taste a couple of things at Christmas dinner (fireball whiskey! LOL). It was the strangest sensation. Did help me lose a few pounds as I didn't want to eat. I was exhausted for about 2 weeks as well. The kids (ages 14, 11, and 8 had symptoms for about 24-48 hours then was fine.) I hope and pray that you all feel better soon!

Terri D said...

Praying for your family!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop by and say I absolutely LOVE reading you lot blog. Wish I knew you IRL!

As a mom of two teenagers, I too would NOT listen to Maggies’ instructions...the logic in that thinking is non existent.

Praying for quick healing.

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Happy Spring, Della! I know someone who still does not have their taste and smell back, and it has been months! I know that is not at all encouraging, but thought you would want a worst case scenario...it is these weird symptoms, like this and COVID brain, that make it scary for me, who hasn't had it. But we have to be humans, like you said, and live our human lives. We can't fear any illness so much we stop 'living' in reality.
Hoping and praying for God's good grace and mercy on you all!
Valerie

PKL said...

I love your other post where you said you were not making your teens stay alone in their rooms- good for you, mama, taking care of your babies! When my 14 year old got it, he lost taste for about 10 days, and had to cut his running short (he was trying to stay in shape for track season, which is about to start), but otherwise he felt fine. We did make sure he rested and ate well, but otherwise no special treatments. We are lucky here- no one checks up on you! I feel like you (I think)- you have to live your life and it's not about if you'll get it- we probably all will at some time and it's just a matter of when. I wish we would all get it and be done with it!

Anonymous said...

My daughter was exposed in November and here in California we have to lockdown even though we don’t have it, if someone you were around came down with it. She stayed in her room and wore a mask for 7 days while we waited to see if she came down with it. They wouldn’t test her without symptoms to get out of the lockdown. It was frustrating for sure. My husband has a lot of underlying health problems so we all talked and decided that it was important for her to stay in her room, use only one bathroom and we brought food to her. I did go in to her room to converse with her many times during the day, both with masks on. She ended up not getting it so it was all for not. But it make her aware of her surroundings and not take risks cause she didn’t want to do that. Not that both me and my husband have the shot, it’s a lot less stressful to go out and do activities.
Kristi

Joybells said...

Thank you for keeping an eye on your teenagers, and keeping them connected to other humans. It's SO important, for all kids! With online school I've had to make a conscious, ongoing effort on both fronts, and my children are quite a bit younger than yours. I think of you often, and pray for you. ❤

Joy from Salem

Judy Weniger said...

My daughter and granddaughter had it in July. They both lost taste and smell. Her husband and two boys didn’t get it. Both got it back within to weeks and neither were very sick. I was concerned because my daughter has kidney disease but she did fine.
Hopefully your gang will be back up and running very soon. I know you will be relieved when this is over.
Judy

Anonymous said...

I lost my sense of smell for about five days toward the end of my quarantine (actually it started to come back the day before I was off restrictions.) That was definitely the most bizarre part of my experience. I knew how things were supposed to smell (like my body wash) but no scent whatsoever. I was worried about not being able to smell smoke in the event of a fire! Never fully lost my sense of taste but had no appetite for anything anyways — that continued for a week or two after quarantine.

We did wear masks at home when we had to be in the same room and isolated from one another and thankfully, I did not share my germs with anyone.

16 blessings'mom said...

I know Mandy, it's a crazy time for sure. Susan, I'm glad to hear it was only five or six days. I could use a little bit of a loss of appetite though...Rachel, fireball whiskey, I bet that tasted heavenly after not tasting for so long! I'm glad you guys are better.
Terri, thank you!
Vanessa, thank you!
Thank you, Valerie, and yes, Happy Spring! It partly seems like deja vous, with it being exactly a year since this all started here, but spring is so hopeful.
PKL, I'm glad your son is okay. I sometimes wish I had gotten even part of the vaccine before being stuck here in this simmering kettle of germs we call home, ha, but maybe I already have immunity, who knows.
Kristi, I'm glad you all were okay, and that you and hubby were able to get your shots. That is one thing I do appreciate about the vaccine, it gives people hope, and confidence to live.
Joy, thank you!
Judy, glad they were okay, and they got their taste and smell back so quickly.
Anonymous, that is so bizarre. Sonja sniffs things and simply cannot smell them, and believe me, a certain teenage boy has tested this and she is not faking, ha. :). Glad you didn't share your germs.
Linda, thank you for your comment, I did refrain from publishing it because I wasn't sure you wanted me to. I get it!!!!

Joybells said...

Della, random question: do you use a French press for the pour-over coffee? We switched to a French press (from K-cups) when we were out of power in last month's ice storm. The flavor was a revelation! But I keep getting grounds swimming around in my cup. Is there a brand you could recommend? We just got the cheap one at Target. Thanks in advance. :)

Joy from Salem