summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

shh, it was too hot at the beach...

 ...and don't you dare take the comma out.  :)

So yeah, we fried alive at the beach, don't you feel sorry for us?  Lake Ontario usually blesses us with some waves to play in, but yesterday the water was like ripply glass.  It was refreshing, but there was nary a breeze on that beach!  We drank our seltzers, and had some cherries and pepperoni, sandwiches for the girls, and we relaxed and watched the goings-on.   One lady had had just about enough out of Alex.  How could she possible do everything herself, she was just ONE PERSON.   There were people who arrived with floats and swim rings, goggles and masks, all hopeful, and I watched as they found out that NY state park beaches don't allow all that fun.  I wondered where these people came from, that they didn't know this already.  





We stopped at the store on the way home because of the 8 piece fried chicken special:  $4.99.  We had to wait six minutes for it to come out of the fryer.  Fried chicken, for five bucks.  Two huge breast pieces, the thighs, the drums, and the wings, mmm.  Hey, I never said it was healthy!  But when it's over 90 degrees, and you've been to the beach, and you have to hurry home to go to the Activity Club party, well, you aren't making dinner!  We also got two pizzas, from Little Cesaers, $6 each.  It was fantastic.  

So weight loss hasn't been going well.  I'll be honest:  I've gained 25 pounds since last summer.    How?  Well, if I knew that, it wouldn't have happened!  I blame some of it on the months the scale needed new batteries, it was freeing, but also...ugh.  A few snacks at night, here and there, some chocolate.  I still don't eat bread or cookies, cupcakes or cake, but the trail mix, well...I had some.  I still mostly eat one meal a day, and am trying to figure things out.  I'm not asking for advice, I just wanted to be honest on here because...well, when I was losing weight, I put it out there, right?  I am NOT giving up, however, no sir, no how.  


The good, the bad, and the ugly, and voila: the clothes I wore to the hardware store.  

Last nights Activity club pool party was a blast!  What's better than swimming with a bunch of kids, then serving them ice cream sundaes?

Miss Lydia...
Anya and Lydia, cousins and besties.

This morning, bright and early, we went to pick up our paint.  The girls chose Alabaster, the color we painted our kitchen cabinets.  We also bought a second gallon, separately so we could use another ten dollar coupon.  Then a quick trip into Aldi for cilantro, fresh salsa, cheese sticks, seltzer, cherries, seltzer...a lady with small children was heading to line at the same time as us, I waved her in front, she was thankful.  I remember what it was like shopping with little ones, they were like ticking time bombs, you need to get through the register before they lose it about something, sometimes. 

I only had teenagers with me, they stomp and slam a little at home, but they're good in the store ha.

We also went into the thrift store, because why not?  Char found shoes and pants, and I found a silver pitcher...

...and an armetale metal...pot...
I thought it would make a good planter, but lo and behold, you can cook in it!  

Our garden is doing well:


Anyway, we got home with the paint, put things away, and started painting!  We did one coat, and a second coat on most of the trim and edging.  We wanted to finish tonight, but the kids all left to go play volleyball.  After painting for a few hours, we went in the pool, floated around and talked about what to make for dinner.  We decided on meatballs, because Camille had chosen a bag of frozen cheese ravioli from the store today.  

Now it's quiet in here again.  Cam didn't go to volleyball, she's in the middle of sketching a picture.  She keeps busy.

Ah well, their room is in shambles, but one more coat of paint, and it'll be so nice.  

Oh, this is the seltzer I bought today:
Le Croix....God bless America!



13 comments:

Terri D said...

I saw my doctor last week with my 10 extra pandemic pounds. She told me the average for lots of people is 15 pandemic pounds. We are not alone. Sigh. Sounds like the painting is nearly done! Good news! It is always fun to visit you here!! xo

Linda said...

I wish this humidity would break, we have had thunderstorms in the afternoons, but nothing is pushing this humidity out. I told hubby about that beach, we shall see, grin. Have a beautiful day, friend...p.s. don't worry about the weight, enjoy your life, you are beautiful, Della. smiles

Unknown said...

Hi Della πŸ‘‹ Another scorcher here today!! πŸ₯΅ The beach sounds wonderful……………I remember as a kid in Australia the sand being so hot you couldn’t walk on it!! You will get that weight off. We are all struggling with the Covid pounds it seems……….not the worst thing in the world .BTW I think you look cute in your painting outfit πŸ₯°

Have a fun day painting ………..

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, the sand was pretty hot yesterday! And thanks, I don't FEEL too cute in my painting outfit, but that's nice of you to say that:). And I know a lot of us are in this struggle, and it's a tough one!
Linda, I know, that humidity! My hair looks like the old finger-in-the-light-socket style. And thank you for your kindness.
Terri, I'm glad I'm not alone, but dang, it's not a fun club, the Pandemic Weight Gain Club. Ah well though...we have something to work on...

Michelle said...

Weight gain/loss/gain is such a frustrating thing, but Della, you still look pretty and young for your age! I just started reading a book I found on Kindle Unlimited called How to Become Naturally Thin By Eating More. Ha! I know, but I figured I’d see what the author has to say.

I used to be one of those naturally thin people who could eat whatever and never gain a pound. I actually had a hard time keeping weight ON lol. After 7 kids and hitting peri menopause and now post-menopause and hysterectomy, I put on some extra poundage that refuses to budge. Trying to lose it makes it come back as even more poundage. I love food too much to do any extreme diets, so I’m just trying to eat more healthy foods & walk/ride bikes and some easy yoga/pilates exercise.

Anyway…sorry your beach day was too hot, but hopefully you had fun anyway. ;)

Unknown said...

BTW……….I just caught onto your first line………..πŸ™„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Joybells said...

Della, where to start...your garden looks terrific! Way to go! I sympathize with the weight gain; I was doing so well on keto and then my dad died and things got so busy with the end of school and the diet went out the window. Ugh. I'm going to try again, though! What is the deal with no float rings at the beach???? Sad! Super cute pictures from Activity Club and aren't cousin friends awesome. We have a few of those too. :) We have finally cooled off here in Salem, thank goodness, and now it's actually too cool and cloudy to go swimming. We're hoping for just a little more sun this afternoon! Have a great day, Della!

Joy from Salem

Anonymous said...

Della, you have had 16 kids and you look amazing to me, why are we always so hard on ourselves? While it may be good to loose weight to make ourselves feel better physically your family is not going to love you any more or less at the weight you are now. I am a professional bra fitter (strange career I know!) and I see women all the time being so down on themselves for how they look when it should not be this way. I should also be a professional cheerleader because I just want to tell women ' stop being so down on yourself, you look awesome and you go live your life!!!

Andrea from NZ

Anonymous said...

So, what is the reasoning behind not allowing floats and swim rings at the lake? Has that always been the rule or just since the pandemic began?

Laurie in California

Billie Jo said...

Hello Sweet Friend!
You are beautiful.
And I am right there with you.
I have gained weight too.
I like to think that my body has blessed me with four babies and all that goes with it, so it will never look the same again. And. Food. I like food.
Anyway, I adore you and your beautiful family!

16 blessings'mom said...

Michelle, I'd like to become thin while eating more, sounds like a dream come true. We did have fun at the beach, we really did. Joy, at NY state parks, only Coast Guard approved floatation devices are allowed, been that way for years now. They were actually being quite lenient the other day, if people were far enough away from the life-guarded swimming area, the life guards weren't enforcing the rules. (maybe that's why I hate rules, I live in New York!). I sympathize with things getting so busy, and when you lose someone, other things don't seem so important. I don't do actual Keto anymore, less fat, and more in-season fruit, but definitely low carb, except for those dang lime tortilla chips, they are my downfall...
Andrea, you are a good encourager, thank you! You are a blesser of women, for sure!
Laurie, it's just because NY state wants to protect us from our stupid selves, ha, nothing to do with the pandemic. Floatation devices have to be U.S. Coast Guard approved. The little Puddle Jumpers are allowed, but not a swim ring or lounge float, or raft. Unless, of course, you are well away from the lifeguards and there are so many, they give up.
Billie Jo, yes, I also love food...and I like the way you look at it, our bodies HAVE blessed us with children....it has nothing to do with chocolate!

Tereza said...

to the anonymous bra fitter lady: I love what you said!! Us Women are super hard on ourselves. Brings to mind an awesome book I read called intuitive eating by evelyn tribole.

16 blessings'mom said...

Tereza, yes, I love what she said too. I see in my daughters how critical they are of themselves, and they have absolutely no idea how lovely they are. I do try to work on what I say about myself out loud, in front of the girls. I also wear the swimsuit and have fun with them, life isn't just for the thin and trim people, right?