summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 15, 2023

a chicken roasting Sunday....

 As I get ready to go to church today, I mull:  put the chicken in the Dutch oven with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, some lemon juice, sage, rosemary, garlic salt, pepper...before we leave, or when we get home?  We are going an hour early to clean first, and will be there for at least two or three or four hours.  Oh, decisions decisions!

Fast forward:  now it is evening, dinner just a fond, delicious memory.  It went like this: olive oil in the Dutch oven, add the seasonings, stir in russet potato halves, put in 8 pound chicken, stuff carrot sticks, celery chunks, onion quarters, pour half cup of white wine over it all, olive oil surface of chicken, season...add lid, into 275 oven for fours....remove lid for fifteen minutes to brown chicken...while baking pan of stuffing.  

The carrots and potatoes were still firm, but very yummy, no mush. The chicken was moist and tasty.  Margaret and Adrian came over for dinner with Wulf and Tennyson...what a cozy afternoon!  There's nothing like coming in the house on a snowy 22 degree day, and having dinner almost done.

Sonja K., Charlotte Claire, and Camille all packed up their overnight gear, and went to a sleepover at Emily and Mariel's house.  So Paul and I have the house to ourselves.  I have one purring mama kitty on the arm of my chair, all snuggled in, the pups are snoring away...football is on, and Paul is cleaning his musket loader.  Not too shabby, right?

Not too much more going on tonight...have a very nice evening!

5 comments:

Mari said...

That sounds so good - and like a perfect day!
My day was similar, except I had a crockpot of chili going, and a load of bread I baked yesterday, that was all ready for us when we got home from church. And we're having a quiet, cozy evening...

Anonymous said...

Do you know why you use first and middle on some of your children and not others? Just wondering if it is habit or if there is a reason? Maybe another with the same name in extended family.

Linda said...

Sounds like a perfect evening to me, smiles. Have a good week, Della. smiles

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, having the food all ready when you get home is the BEST. Chili sounds really good...mmmm.
And. I always wanted Miss Charlotte to be Charlotte Claire, and that's how I think of her, but in real life, I rarely call her that. She is Char, or Charlotte, so I don't know. Sonja K., for Kathleen, I'm not sure who started calling her that...but she thinks it sounds babyish, so I try not to...
Linda, it was. Thank you, hope you have a nice week too.:)

Terri D said...

Sounds wonderful and I can almost smell that meal!! Yum!! Purring kitties are the best!! Nice to have a quieter evening at home with your man!! xo