summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 8, 2023

happy birthday, to you! you live in a zoo!...and jury duty:

 

Ophelia is three years old!  Her mama lit those candles, all the kids wanted to help blow them out.

Ophelia, Lydia,Molly, Grant...

Princess Ophelia!

Miss Char, (Auntie Charlotte!) helping little Tennyson with his chocolate-y face.
Sweet little Elise...
The birthday girl with a purple balloon,Grant, Sam, Benjamin...
Cam, Kathryn, Achilles
Ruth!
Ophelia, and Tennyson...

Auntie Evelynwith Rhys
Cuppy-cakes!
Birthday cake!

Surprise, mini M&M's in the cake!  I punched out the middle with a little cup, filled with the candy, then added some cake back in the hole, covered it with frosting...you can put sprinkles in, too.
Uncle Sam with Rhys...
Lydia Eleanor...
Ophelia Rose...


Achilles Royce...
Time to go home...it a zoo, I'll admit. It was loud and crazy and fun.  Those grandkids love being together. There were 19 of us here...none of the grandkids.  I didn't just sit around and leave things to the last minute, but it was still a busy day.  I made the cupcakes and cake last evening, then frosted them this morning.  I cleaned the kitchen, put the pork in the crock pot,  but didn't sweep or mop...then I went to church, it was at one o'clock today.  We stayed around afterwards a bit, had coffee and talked, then came home and Molly was here decorating.  The rest of the guests came piling in, while I quickly swept the floors.  There were chips and dip to put out, cheese to slice, and macaroni and cheese to make.   Sonja was off studying with her friends, Char and Cam were playing with grandkids, Paul was doing sprints in the road with the dogs...and I was busy.

I finally got the macaroni and cheese made...sliced up a few pounds of cheese, made a nice bubbling roux, added the cheese, made two pounds of pasta...I wanted to brown it up in the oven at the end with bread crumbs sprinkled on top, but we were out of bread crumbs...we had some of those French fried onions, and crushed them with some round crackers.  (I put some frozen riced cauliflower in a pan with the cheese sauce, oh yum, low carb macaroni and cheese...cauli and cheese?).  The pulled pork came out SO GOOD. I used about five pounds of pork loin roast, and a little over two pounds of pork tenderloin (it was $1.49 a pound!)...lime juice, coarse pepper, brown sugar, garlic salt, then a whole bottle of Kinders barbecue sauce, so good!

Anyway....everyone trickled out the door, grandkids with their little prize bags I put together...(a kazoo or harmonica, a party horn that blows out and curls back up, two-pack of golden Oreos, 4 pack of peanut butter crackers, and a few chocolates)...I tackled the pans...I'm thankful for disposable plates though!  They're expensive, but I guess I don't use as much hot water, when so many people come over!  Between the meal and the cake, that would be a lot of dishwashing.  

The house is mostly put back together now, and I remember why it was so hard, way back when...I couldn't' just clean up...there were kids and babies and homework and laundry....

Oh, jury duty:  I am not required to in tomorrow, but I do have to check in tomorrow evening to see if I have to report on Tuesday....so kind of good, but the suspense goes on...!

Good night...I'm plenty pooped, this fine evening...

6 comments:

Deb said...

I stopped buying paper plates in general since it's just hubby and I at home now, but I do still use them for holidays when the rest of our tiny crew comes over. I cringe when I see YouTubers using paper plates all day, every day. They are such a wasteful group of people, those so-called influencers.

Yay for no jury duty, at least for today. Sometimes I think I'd like to be on the jury for some big murder case because I love watching true crime TV like Snapped. LOL! We don't get big cases like that around this rural area though. *dramatic sigh*

Carol said...

Sounds like a busy day, but fun filled day. I can't imagine that many people in my home at once. I would have a panic attack.

Terri D said...

Wow! What fun and what chaos for sure!! I can't even imagine the noise level and the fun everyone had! Thanks for sharing the love with us! xo

Billie Jo said...

Hello! What absolutely darling little ones you have around there! I simply love your love of family. It literally shines right through your words. Everything looks perfect, and you did awesomely. Put your feet up, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Della ………I’m not surprised you were tired after all that. Lovely pictures and I could see everyone was having a good time. It’s really lovely when they all come, but really lovely when the all go home too. Those cuppy cakes look very yummy as does the cake. Lydia looks so grown up now, doesn’t she? Good luck with the jury duty phone call 😬

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

I can't imagine using paper plates all the time, these days! Long ago with so many little kids, we used them a lot in the summertime...but now I buy the better ones, thick sturdy plates, they are PRICEY! I also think it would be fun to actually be on a jury...I was on one years ago, when I was almost due for our #15 baby...I had every intention of giving an excuse (or 14 ha!), my feet were swollen, Braxton Hicks contractions, ect...but so many others gave out their excuses left and right, and I felt so obligated to serve...my oldest daughter was able to hold down the fort for four days...anyway, Deb, a big case WOULD be fun!
Carol, you probably would have a panic attack, it was so noisy. I told the kids it was never that noisy when they were growing up, grandchildren are just louder!
Terri, it WAS fun.
BillieJo, I did put my feet up! Ouch,it takes a toll to do so much, but it's fun.
Marilyn, ha, it is really lovely when they all go home...ahh, quiet. But do LOVE having them...just love the grandkids. Lydia is growing up....Charlotte taught her to write her name in cursive, and she was so proud of herself.