summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

but I'm nice!

 I went out and about all by my lonesome, the other day, just to Aldi, and for a coffee on the way home.  Aldi was fine, I got what I needed, and behaved myself in the Fun Aisles, which is challenging when the Fun stuff is all on sale.  I climbed into the milk cooler, ripped the plastic off the new milk display, and dug out a gallon, reaching over a pallet that was empty save one lone leaking gallon...and handed it to a young mama with a baby in a front carrier.   I needed milk too, but as I was about to go back in on the second adventure, an employee with a proper box cutter came along and saved the day.  

Anyway.  Groceries bagged and put in the car, and yes, a coffee from the local coffee roaster.   I got gas first, then went in the back way.  I'll save the boring details, but there are two lines, the one I chose snaked around from the other direction,  sort of blocking the roadway, so I waited where I was, and when it was my turn, I started forward...but nope.  These two young girls shook their heads at me, laughing, and motioned for me to go to the back of the line...I shook MY head NO, motioned I had been waiting...but they both shook their heads, looked right at me, laughing, and nosed their car in a bit more...they were coming from an angle, I could have gone forward and edged them out, but didn't want a fender bender....over coffee!  The point here is that I was miffed.  Upset, shaky, indignant.  harrumph.  how DARE they?   

Okay, a few days later, it's kind of funny.  But at the time, not so much.  It was SO good for me though!  I saw pretty quickly how stirred up I was, and I put a stop to the thoughts before speeding up and slamming into their haughty little bumper, ha.  It really dawned on me,  Ah, this is how people end up so angry!  

One little incidence, and I saw that maybe....I'm not so nice.

Anyway....I got my iced Americano with heavy cream, another one for Sonja, and two iced chai lattes for Miss Char and Miss Cam, and off I went....the thought did cross my mind that I'd see those girls on the side of the road with a flat tire, and I'd help them, and they'd see how wrong they were, that I was a nice lady.   :)

This fine morning, I washed all the plates and bowls in the cupboard....they are white Corelle, and from our well water, they start getting build up....so I made a nice bleach/dishwash solution, and scrubbed them all....rinsed, dried, put away....phew.  I swept and mopped, and did some laundry.  I ordered some toilet paper and paper towels, and got something nice in the mail:  coffee from Singapore!  I haven't figured out who sent it, but I do have an idea...

So the days are filling in, I have been invited to go to some wineries with some of my older daughters. on Saturday..they like bringing me because I don't do tastings anymore, and can drive.  They might also like bringing me because I'm nice, ha. 

One of my resolutions has been to avoid sugar, that means no more Hershey Kisses after dinner.  Only I can eat one meal a day, and a handful of Hershey Kisses, and not lose weight....one DECENT meal, mind you....no breads or rolls, very little of the potatoes, mostly meat and veggies.....it's going on four years, yes  FOUR YEARS, of mostly one meal a day....but that's a whole  other story...no more kisses.

Last night, we had chicken stew in the Dutch oven, then I had a grapefruit, and a few handfuls of salted peanuts...and no Hershey Kisses.  :)

Tonight for dinner, you tell me! I am out of ideas!    I'm trying not to get the January Blahs here. The weather is gloomy,  and Christmas is all put away...ah well.   Maybe I'll go stare into the freezer and something will jump out at me...


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We’re going to have chicken wings from our butcher. They are lovely and big and meaty from a local organic farm. I cook them in the oven. They have salt and pepper on them. Soooooooi delicious 🤤

Good for you not getting into a debate with those girls…….let it go….as the song says!! Coffee sounds yummy.

Have a lovely day 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Debby said...

Years ago I could handle just one meal a day but now, I don’t think I could do it. It’s funny though, when I am busy involved in a project, I don’t get hungry - I just forget to eat but if I do it for a diet, I can’t. It’s all mental.

Martha said...

I hope nothing literally jumped out of your freezer. Ha ha! But I do hope you found some dinner.
I am not always so very nice either. It is quite disturbing how quickly we can be set off, especially when others are not kind. Like the guy giving hand signals on the freeway...

"January cold and glum, makes our toes and fingers numb..." It's a heavy feeling kind of day. Must find something uplifting to concentrate upon. I gained five pounds over the holidays. Ugh.

Terri D said...

I had yellow rice, chicken, and black beans tonight. It was good and there is more for tomorrow. I happen to think you are quite nice!! xo

Anonymous said...

You need to watch Fried Green Tomatoes, and learn how she handles the girls who cut her off. Ha ha, I don't suggest you do the same thing; I think you really behaved like the better woman!
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, I rustled up some dinner...sometimes when I'm plum out of ideas, and didn't plan ahead, it's eggs for dinner...these days a rather expensive option! Yeah, it's so easy to judge mean people, but when you realize that you're not any different, it's good, all good, we need the truth about ourselves, to stay humble. I know what you mean about this January day...and the five pounds...ugh.
Terri, that sounds like a decent dinner, and it's always nice to know what you're having for the next night!
Valerie: I'm older, and I've got more insurance! And, "Oh Ed, you make such a big deal out of things!" One of my favorite movies, a good book, too! Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe....

Carol said...

No idea as to what dinner will be. I am heading home from my daughters house today and I am sure my husband did not thaw anything for dinner. I hope I have something that I can fix easy.

Meritt said...

I started to feel the same anger/frustration as you just READING it. Ha ha. Good for you though! Actually - my 'phrase' for 2023 is "Trust. Let Go."

And Debby... me too! If I'm busy doing a project or errands, I don't even get hungry. But if I'm home or thinking I 'need' to watch my eating - I'll eat everything in sight and want to eat 3 meals a day... when I'm not at ALL hungry.

Deb said...

LOL I like to think I'm a nice person too but ohhhhh sometimes I get road rage as jackass drivers. I don't chase or act on it but man oh man, I'll be swearing in my car and usually flashing a middle finger.

I'm no dietician or doctor but maybe having only one meal a day is actually the culprit? I've read many times that when you don't eat enough your body shifts to storing what's there longer, instead of constantly working to burn up food that comes with smaller, more frequent meals.

Oh, Della, your posts continue to crack me up, even if I don't comment every day. Glad to have found you. =)

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, the hours I've spent through the years, running packages of frozen chicken under water, prying off little pieces of that silly foam they put in there to absorb the liquid...then opening the oven every little while to try pry apart the huge-0 block of chicken...
Meritt...Trust. Let Go. It's perfect!!! And yes, when I'm not busy, it's hard not to snack....but when I am busy, I like to snack too...
Deb, there ARE a lot of idiots on the road...pulling out in front of me, just to poke along like there's just no hurry...
Yes, you're probably right about the one meal thing, it's hard to get out of it though....I'm glad you found me, too...love reading your posts.

Michelle in FL said...

I was going to mention Fried Green Tomatoes too. I had an angry traffic moment the other day after being cut off and thought of that movie. Hilarious!

Michelle in FL said...

Hi Della, I’m wondering about the 1 meal a day too. I think that would just slow your metabolism down more and make your body hold onto fat as if in starvation mode. There’s so much conflicting info these days. I have listened to Dr Fung and others about this subject, but also others who say eat 3 meals, eat 5-6 small meals, etc. It seems that being more active throughout the day and just concentrating on eating healthy food (no huge restrictions) makes the biggest difference, which is what I’m working on. Have you ever listened to Dr. Chatterjee’s podcast Feel Better Live More? You might like it.