summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 1, 2023

....and here it is, a brand-spankin' new year....

 ...what shall we do in it?  I shall:

1.  Go back to Christmas shopping year round...I'll bring a list on my phone, and keep excellent track of what I brought for whom, then next November/December won't be so hectic...also, may save a bit of money.  

2.  Meal plan better...using what we already have to make fantastic and healthy meals that everyone will love and devour...hey, may as well aim high!

3.  Eat less carbs and sugar, keep satiated with healthy food, move more...

4.  Grab onto those good times, and enjoy the heck out of them.  With only three kids left here at home, it's  very apparent how quickly time passes...I mean, THIRTEEN OF OUR KIDS have moved out!  Jon will be back in August, but he'll be nineteen next year, so it won't be long before he strikes out on his own...Sonja will be graduating from college in the spring, and starting on her nursing career...how long before she moves in with Evelyn?  Charlotte is a junior this year, and wants to go to Europe for a year after graduation, and Miss Camille is fifteen...still a few years here, but still...the days of silliness and binge watching shows and thrift store expeditions and Target runs....they're numbered.  (I know, I know, it's inevitable, and I'll adjust...they don't just disappear when they move out, I still see them, and I have sweet grandkids...)

5.  Continue to get rid of stuff.   

6.  Spend more time with Paul.  We do have so much fun together, he's not always easy to get to open up, but when he does, it's great.  

7.  Be thankful, and work with what we have.  I can moon over new flooring, and envy new furniture, but more productively, I can fix up, clean, and make do with what we have, and be thankful for it.   There's something in us that is never ever satisfied....we get something new, and are over the moon, then before long, something else is needed/wanted.  My mother used to say, "People want heaven on earth."  Yes, we just build up our kingdoms, dig in, as if we're here to stay.  

8.   Keep things in perspective, each moment of each day.  We can be tricked, in the moment, to think that it's important to be right...or to answer back, have the last word, straighten someone out...maybe to be funny, at someone's expense, or to repeat something that shouldn't actually be repeated, to backbite.  Not only do I not want to have to answer for all those things on judgement day, but by avoiding them like the plague, I can be a blessing to my friends, husband, kids.   So my prayer is that God will give me grace to be awake, so that I can fight against those things.

There are some things I am really excited for in the new year!  Paul and I and three of the girls are going to Florida in a few weeks, then we're going to have Kathryn and Darius' little ones for a long weekend while they go off to Salem to visit...then Kathryn will be having a baby in March...Camille will be having another surgery, probably in March...the surgeon confirmed the MRI showed things that physical therapy and exercise cannot fix:  she has a shallow bone channel, in addition to a low bone ridge next to the knee cap, the knee cap is sitting on the side instead of in the center, ect.  I am NOT excited about this whole thing, except for the fact that when it's done and she recovers, she might have her life back...I am very thankful for the times we live in, and the county we live in, and that we have health insurance, even if it's not very good, ha.  

I am excited for summer,  camping trips (we have a site booked for three nights right across from the beach, and Ben has one right next to us!).  I'd like to book one more weekend, at least.   I'm hoping to get a camper one of these years, but if not, our tent with air mattresses is pretty nice.

The chuck roast has been in the sous-vide for about 25 hours, in four hours, it'll come out to cool a bit before pan searing, and serving with some mashed potatoes and carrots...it hopefully will taste like prime rib...the sous vide keeps it at the same temperature for those hours, tenderizing without overcooking.  (The meat is sealed in plastic, and in a heated water bath).

A pic from Christmas: Jonathan,Margaret,Samuel, me...
I made these cupcakes yesterday for our New Year's Eve celebration...

There was a bouncy house!  Wulf and Tennyson were so excited!
Before long, it was FULL of kids...no one got hurt, either...so much fun.


Ah well...time to start being less lazy.   Happy New Year!!!!!


6 comments:

Carol said...

I plan to do some of the very things that you do. I will begin looking for gifts for the kids and grands this year very early. I plan to rid our home of many things that no longer bring joy to me. I also plan to find happiness in everyday joys. My motto is "Nothing will steal my joy".

Terri D said...

Excellent list and thoughts. I don't think your home will ever be "empty" because you are such a great mom. The kids and grands will always be there, in and out. Happy new year! God is SO good! xo

Joybells said...

I didn't make an actual list, but the things on my mind are very similar to yours! Good luck to both of us!! Happy new year, Della!

Joy from Salem

Anonymous said...

The time goes so fast and things change. I have 2 at home right now, in February it will be back to 3(Katie comes home from a mission trip) but then she has her application in to serve as a summer intern down south so she may not be home long. Beth our oldest at home is dating a young man from Costa Rica, met on a mission trip and I expect it won’t be long before they are permanently together. We actually head down to meet him soon. I am looking forward to getting to know him and his country, both have captured Bethany’s heart.
Two of the married kids are close but now the grandchildren start leaving for college. One wants to head up to your direction. Two of my sons/families are in other states. Lots of places to visit if we can afford to. Lol
But having had kids in the house for almost 50 years it will be a big adjustment when they all leave. Like you we all enjoy our trips to Trader Joe’s, target and Walmart. A coffee run or a walk on the beach. Love having the girls around but they are now all in their 20’s so…
I also want to do more with Bob. We have fun together. Bob isn’t easy either to get to open up but we enjoy the same things, he is fun, calm, kind, always willing to help makes me feel lazy. Lol And He loves Jesus… doesn’t get better.
Have a great day
Judy

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, that is brilliant,"nothing can steal my joy". The problem with getting rid of things that don't bring me joy is that I love most of my things, and it brings me joy when someone needs something, and I have it for them! I KNOW it will happen with everything I part with, ha.
Terri, you're right...just when it seems a teeny bit quiet here, all heck breaks loose as they all pile in to visit!
Joy, Happy New Year!
Judy, those shopping trips with the kids though, dang, thought they'd last forever! Congratulations to your Bethany, and wow, Costa Rica, that is an adventure! Time does fly....your husband sounds a bit like mine!

Anonymous said...

Hi Della ………

I think this works now. I didn’t make any resolutions except to sort out and give away to Goodwill etc a lot of things that have been accumulating on our shelves in the basement. Out of sight out of mind….. you know how it is 😬😬 I do go through from time to time, but I’m talking about ruthless. That’s a good idea if yours to start shopping early. I don’t have too many to buy for and I ask them in September to start thinking about what their heart desires for Christmas and they let me know in October and I get everything in a couple of days. Like I said I only have 8 people to buy for, so it’s pretty easy. Yes I think we have to be happy with what we have too. At the end of the day we have to count our blessings and be grateful for what we have.

You must be getting excited about your trip!! So much fun. I have to say your MIL must have wonderful eyes to be able to do those beautiful cross stitched pictures!! Amazing 🤩

Ttfn…….coffee time!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦