summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 19, 2023

the cat in the hat and an e.k.g....

 

Dr. Seuss...
These two....
It was a lovely dawn....

So...I've been having heart palpitations.  They're the new background noise of my life, a noise I've been good at drowning out.  They started last year when I got Covid, and have come and gone....once in a while I'll realize I haven't had them in a while, and dang, I've been having lot of coffee too!  When I cut way back on the coffee, it didn't stop them.  I've tried reasoning and researching and adding more magnesium... Then in the last week or so, they've seem worse, more pronounced.

So last evening, I went to visit Emily and Mariel, for Emily's birthday.   I told them about the issues, I've mentioned them before, and they were like, Mom, you need to get checked out.   So I was a good girl this fine rainy morning, and I called the cardiologist office.  Seems I was last seen there five years ago, so no appointment for me unless referred by a general practitioner.  So, I called the general practitioner's office, and asked for an appointment, told her half my life story, not really, but that I'm flying to Florida tonight, and the cardiologist can't see me until March, and needs a referral.  She asked about the palpitations, said she'd talk to the doc and call me back.  Call me back, she did, and said, "You need come in right now."  uh-oh.  

Now, when these things happen, the thoughts can go many directions, such as what if they think I'm a huge complaining baby?  What if I'm having one giant prolonged heart attack?  What if they send me to the hospital?  what if what if what if.....

Blood pressure:  120/80, pulse 76....that seemed hopeful.  EKG:  it did show some variations, some delay in the upper chambers beat, which causes the lower chamber to make up for it with a THUMP or two...a benign condition....something he COULD give me meds for but not necessary.  He gave me a go-ahead to fly tonight, and also a list of things to  worry about, I mean watch for.   shortness of breath (shh, he should seem go up a flight stairs!), prolonged missed beats, lightheadedness, dizzy (again, what?!   Dizzy is my middle name!).   In any case, the doctor said the EKG is fine, I told him, "I prayed on the way here that if there was anything bad, it would show up."  I told him my usual method with health scares is to ignore them, they usually go away. 

They did some quick bloodwork and said they'd try to let me know by this afternoon, and in the middle of this sentence, they called:  everything is within normal range.  wow.    I still have to go into the cardiologist and have an echocardiogram done, and a three day halter monitor, but not until March....which is how things are these days..

In any case, I am extremely thankful for the kindness shown by both the receptionist and the doctor, and also the nurse and the phlebotomist, especially the doctor....he said, "I couldn't see you going to the ER for something we can look at right in the office, and I wanted to make sure you got to Florida."  How NICE is THAT?!  Above and beyond the call of duty.  I am so appreciative.

And...it's time to pack up the puppies and drive them to Margaret and Adrian's house....I hope they behave themselves....! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love hearing a 'my doctor was cool' story! That had to be such a God thing that they were able to check you out before your trip! Glad you are ok and can go!
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

I know, such a blessing! Modern medicine is amazing, Paul had to have two coronary catheter ablations done years ago, and I have nieces who have survived childhood cancers that even 40 years ago wouldn't have happened. I do not trust the government, nor do I appreciate their interference in medicine, but the healthcare workers themselves, and the miracles they do by the grace of God: awesome.

Cassandra said...

So glad they got you in so fast. I've had palpitations since I was a teenager and I hate them. They have definitely got more frequent since I had COVID. I've done multiple echos and monitors to only hear "its fine nothing wrong". Which is nice but also...its scary when your heart feels like its skipping beats! Hopefully you hear the same thing in March! Enjoy Florida!

Mari said...

That's a good doctor! Glad you got it checked. I had a similar issue several years ago. Those palpitations can really be annoying. I ended up with a monitor for a week and mine were also nothing critical, but they did put me on meds just to settle things down. It really helped.
Have a great trip!

Terri D said...

I am glad you are getting it checked out and also glad that you are okay to visit beautiful Florida! Take care and do the follow-ups!! Love & hugs! Have fun!

Terri D said...

Well, my computer crashed in the middle of this. So sorry to be late. I always enjoy my visits with you and hope your heart issues get taken care of soon! Enjoy our beautiful Florida and take care!

Betty said...

Will keep you in prayer and who thankful you experienced compassionate medical staff. I am sure many of them feel the frustrations that the government imposes on them. Beautiful here in north Florida 77 yesterday. Enjoy you trip.

Deb said...

I have scary palpitations from time to time, I think more when my anxiety is high. I had an EKG about 4 yrs ago during a checkup but they said it looked fine. And then last year while I was in the hospital for c*vid/diabetes, I was hooked up to a heart monitor for nearly 2 weeks and nothing strange happened, nothing was noted or mentioned to me. That's a relief but still, it's scary when it happens.

Glad everything appears to be okay!
Have a wonderful vacation!

Billie Jo said...

Hello, lovely friend. I am sooo happy that your doctor saw you at once! And that your blood work and EKG are good! Amen. Good for you to make that call. Hugs and prayers and enjoy!!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Cassandra, glad your palpitations are "okay", but what is it with Covid that triggers them? It IS scary when your heart is thumping out of whack. I'm glad you chimed here though, truly, nice to know I'm not alone, and glad you're okay.
Mari, glad yours aren't critical....so scary.
Terri, I have those follow-ups scheduled, and I will go! Thank you!
Betty, thank you, I am enjoying! Thank you!
Deb, anxiety does make it worse, glad yours are okay, and thank you!
Billie Jo, thank you, and yes, I am so thankful they saw me so quickly!