summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 16, 2023

"c" is for cookie, that's good enough for me...

 Last week, I found a recipe for low carb, fake sugar peanut butter cookies.  I made them, and de-keto-ed them by using regular Jif crunchy peanut butter instead of natural, no sugar added peanut butter, but I also added just a few mini chocolate chips along with a few milk chocolate chips on top before baking.  The result:  I ate them all in like three days, really good.

So, this fine chilly morning, Kathryn was on her way over with the kids, with Darius too, because they had to get both of their cars inspected by the shop down the road.  My house is a good place to wait.  I put some cinnamon rolls in the oven, the easy-peasy tube ones, to warm it and make it smell welcoming...then I mixed up a quick batch of the de-keto-ed p.b. cookies...here's the recipe:

I like crunchy p.b., and I used half cup of brown sugar Swerve, zero calories, and a quarter cup of white monk fruit sweetener, a bit less than the recipe calls for, and they were plenty sweet enough.  
I didn't take any pictures when they came out of the oven, but they look like normal cookies, and the recipe makes 24 of a  decent size.  

So I don't know if this is an exceptionally good keto recipe, or just because I RARELY eat baked goods these days, but I really like them.

Kathryn and Darius and the kids are gone now, the house is quiet...the girls are doing school work, Paul is working, and here I am.  

Life is stranger than fiction.  One president simply cannot fathom that the ex-president would have classified documents in an unclassified place,  then turns out he has some too, in his garage...of a house he charges his son 49 thousand a month to rent.  More and more athletes are dropping, but we won't even mention what it probably is.  The murder trial I almost served on wrapped up quickly, she was found guilty, and sentencing is coming up soon.  Murders are happening all across this great country of ours, laws and rules don't seem to reign in evil, or help when people feel lost and desperate.  Abortion advocates   voted unanimously against the Born Alive bill, how heartless can you be?!  A naked male can traipse around in the locker room, scaring the daylights out of a young athlete heading to the shower after a swim, but she's the jerk when she complains about it.  Intolerance will not be tolerated!  upside-down, I tell you.

To cap off this lovely day, Paul and I and Evelyn went to clean an apartment that was vacated by someone who stopped paying rent a few months ago.  Can you say yucky?  Evelyn said it had the Poor People smell, but I dispute that. My father was raised in a big family, 12 kids, his father died when he was young, and his mama kept those kids spotless, and that house spotless.  "Soap and water are cheap.", was a saying of hers.  When I was growing up, we were not allowed to put our hands on the walls, or we would find one of those hands holding a soapy washcloth from our mother, who made offenders wash walls.  My own kids were also raised not to put their hands on the walls, and also to wash their hands before and after eating.   The apartment occupants had a cat, and cut squares out of each pair of window blinds, assumably so the little guy could see out.  There was cat litter here and there, the litter scoop, and even a few little poops on the bathroom floor.  The refrigerator was full of the kinds of things nightmares are made of, and the cupboards too.  But the walls and doorways, with the black dirty handprints, ??!!   The flooring is waterproof luxury vinyl planking, really nice stuff, and they dripped something black and sticky across it...there was food splattered on walls, cabinets, counters, stove...I just don't understand it.  I raised 16 kids, and wouldn't have won any prizes in the Clean House category, but compared to this, it was Blue Ribbon here.  

We got most of it clean...we'll have to do some painting, and more cleaning, shine up the windows, scrub the tub, replace the refrigerator, maybe the stove....phew.  Never a dull moment.  

Tomorrow Kathryn has to go out and about to get some diapers, and we need to pick up Camille's glasses. I'm thankful for down time, but also thankful for busy time...especially when it involves grandkids! 




6 comments:

Deb said...

It's a sad, different world these days, for sure. While I was waiting for my mom to get her hair cut yesterday, I was listening to the conversation between an older man getting his hair cut and the older lady cutting his hair. He was saying he wouldn't want to be a kid these days because "there's just too much stuff out there now." They both talked about how kids are not taught manners, discipline, responsibility anymore. They both talked about when they were growing up they had a list of chores to do before they could do their own fun things, and if they didn't do them they were punished. They had things taken away. They weren't allowed to disrespect. And now you can't say or do anything because someone will cry 'Offended!' or 'Abuse!' It was a very interesting conversation that I was silently agreeing wholeheartedly with.

And the cleaning thing... Okay, I'm guilty of being lazy about cleaning but I can at least keep things picked up and fairly decent. Some YouTubers that I watch drive me absolutely nuts in their 'clean with me!' videos where they make no effort all week long and then sigh and whine and cry about what a mess things are on cleaning day. They don't teach their kids to pick up after themselves or have the kids pitch in to help. Well, you're creating your own problems then, aren't you? Don't be whining to all of social media about how bad you have it! Ya know?

Ugh, people. *severe eye roll here*

Oh, and the keto cookie recipe. I'm sure you've seen me mention before that I don't like using the alternative ingredients to make recipes more diabetic friendly for me. I cut the amount of sugar, and have started using wheat flower instead. I want to look into using protein powder too. But anyway, I am really craving peanut butter cookies now! I made those peanut butter ones with Hershey Kisses in the middle for Christmas, but now plain old PB cookies sounds so good.

Deb said...

OH! And that murder trial... so what happened? What was her motive? Jealous ex or something?
Curious minds need to know.

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb, the cookie recipe: you could try a quarter real sugar, then just a little of the swerve, and use almond flour, which doesn't raise the blood glucose level. The murder trial? I am not sure! The only coverage for the trial was pay to read, and shh, paying for news? I'll try to dig around though...

Anonymous said...

Hi Della!

The cookies sound great. I never use anything but gluten free flour……severe allergy…….and almond flour has a lovely flavour.

I agree……soap and water are cheap!! My mother used to say that too. You can be poor and clean she used to say. Some people are just pigs though……really!! No excuse for any of the things you mentioned and to be be living in such filth is unfathomable isn’t it? Plus total disregard for someone else’s property 😀😀

I’m going to go out and about after lunch to buy a set of sheets. I need 18-20” deep pocket and it’s like looking for hen’s teeth!! We never thought when we got our new mattress that it would be such a problem. I would never have chosen such a deep mattress if I had known. So I’m going over to BBB and you know they are not cheap there but I have 20% off so that’s something. I have a set from there now and I really love them I have to say. They are Egyptian cotton and 800 thread count and SO SOFT. I’m going to look anyway.

We have warmer weather happening here, but foggy. Thursday is supposed to be +6C but I’ll believe it when I see it πŸ™„

You have a lovely day!! 😊😊

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Cindy said...

It's sad that more and more people don't show respect: to each other, to property... sorry you had to clean up their mess. The cookies sound delicious!

Deb said...

I used almond flour back when I was newly diagnosed and was trying to alter recipes I already used. It failed each time. It's apparently a heavier, more moist flour. I gave up trying to alter recipes, gave up baking all together for a while, but more recently have been trying wheat flour and it's working out okay. Wheat flour has more fiber and less impact than regular flour. I also now look for recipes that are already adjusted for such things.

It's one of the reasons I want to get back into baking more, to still be able to have some sweets and treats, but to have more control over what's in them. Santa didn't bring me the KitchAid though...... *cries*