summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 28, 2023

waking up and other wonderful things...

 Do you wake up in the morning and thank the Lord you made it through another night, as you gingerly haul your lazy rear end out of bed?  It certainly soothes the soul and is eons better than grumping about the achy hip and locking, knocking knees, as one heads to the bathroom.

It's not as easy to be thankful when you have a baby monitor next to your bed and hear the 3 a.m. squawk of sweet little Rhys....my bed is so warm!   They've been here for three nights now, and each night, just once, she starts in, wanting ma-ma, ba-ba!  I fill a cup with milk, it in and refill the bottle, change her diaper, hold her and rock her for a few minutes, then she lies back down and goes back to sleep.  

Old granny here though:  wide awake.  harrumph.

Rhys is 19 months old, and HILARIOUS.  
Uncle Sam with is Ruth, and Rhys...sweet cousins.  
Auntie Char!
Rhys with baby doll...




Achilles sleeps like a champ.  He likes going to bed.  He likes playing, and has an excellent imagination.  He is obsessed with Angler fish right now, so I have to make them from play dough for him.

I didn't realize how much I missed making things like this...

Achilles with his Angler fish.  

Sonja is busy these days, she's up at the hospital in the city, for a nursing clinical, and yeah, with my car...then this fine morning, our truck has a broken/leaking gas line.  That's not the type of thing you just duct tape up, so we're stuck here ha.  Paul had things to do, places to go, now he's puttering.  

So I had forgotten how busy it can be with small children.  My memories got fuzzy and faded, leaving out the poopy diapers and spilled cereal and those emphatic NO NO NO screams that toddlers are prone to when they simply don't want to go potty or get washed.  Heaven forBID we help them put a sock on, no, I do it, I do it!  I would have thought I would have more patience, so this has been really good for me.  

They are actually really good little children, very sweet and huggy.  They like to play, and we're mostly a t.v. free house...I'll turn on Curious George or Martha Speaks in the evening to wind down for a bit, but we mostly go all day with no screen time for them.  

And....there's not much screen time for me, either, as the kids need lots of attention...



7 comments:

Mari said...

I was just telling a few young moms in my office this the other day - when your kids are grown, you remember you were busy, you remember there were hard days, but you tend to forget the specifics and look back on those days with warm feelings. Little kids are a lot of work, but so worth it! :) Glad you are getting some good time with them, even though it tires you out! :)

Terri D said...

I really enjoyed the photos of the little ones!! I don't have experience with babies and being awakened in the wee hours but do think I really missed out...

Anonymous said...

I stole a couple of gems this weekend.. Emily and Mariel ❤️ They made our trip to Ottawa extra special.. and so much fun!!
Love,
Your older sister Cheryl.
(Not that you have a younger one!)

Martha said...

The little ones certainly do make for a busy, not to mention entertaining, home. I don't know exactly how I would fare without them... Your grands are adorable.

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, I have no regrets about agreeing to watch Achilles and Rhys for the weekend, but....it is busy. So rewarding though.
Terri, the wee hours, ugh. Rhys woke up a few times last night, and I'm no spring chicken. Her mama is due with #3 in five weeks, I hope Rhys starts sleeping through soon!
Cheryl, my dear older sister, I can't wait to hear about your weekend, glad my girls traveled with you! I am SO jealous! The older ones are just so nice to be with...well, the younger ones too.
Martha, I know, they are entertaining. Achilles is obsessed with Anglerfish, these really ugly creatures from the bottom of the seas, so deep no light shines, and if Mr. Achilles gets difficult, you can just start telling him a story about these fish, and he'll get so distracted, he'll forget to be non-compliant about getting teeth brushed, or nose wiped, or what ever the huge deal was...:)

Unknown said...

Hi Della!

Yes getting up in the middle of the night isn’t easy when you are not used to it 😬She should be sleeping through the night for sure so maybe it’s just a habit 🤷‍♀️ oh well eventually she will of course. Sounds like you are enjoying them anyway. They are such fun when they are little, but tiring too.

I’m getting ready to take my dog for a run. It’s beautiful today, so we have to take advantage of that!

Have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦



Anonymous said...

That Angler Fish! Amazing!
Such fun little things to make
Anne H