summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

freezing rain and coziness....

 Sometimes cold and damp feel colder than just plain freezing...but then you get freezing rain, and ugh!  We were planning to go out and about yesterday with Kathryn, but her driveway and vehicle were so coated with ice, and her being pregnant and having two little ones...she decided to stay put.  Sonja had to go to a meeting with her professors, and stopped to pick up Camille's new glasses...when she got home, said the roads were fine, so off we went to...Target.  I had to pick up some coffee, and we found things we needed..(I stepped out of the car at Target and almost went a$$ over teacup, as Stephen King would say.  Sheer ice.  We parked in the front, so I thought I could step right up on the island with mulch and a tree growing, but it was covered in ice!  The girls had to help me down, oh dear!  Two different ladies in Starbucks were talking about how they had fallen on the ice...it's good Kathryn didn't come!)

Anyway, important things:

A remote control car for Wulf's birthday.

A five dollar and forty cent dress for Rhys

A new shirt for Grace, seven dollars

A dress for me, $10.40...I had tried it on last week, when it was more expensive, simply LOVED it, but it's cut too low...I decided to buy it and try to wear a cami under it or sew something to make it more wearable. (I tried it on when we got home, and it IS low...the girls thought it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't feel comfortable...I told them I'd see what Dad said.  Ha.  He said, "I like it."   I came out and reported that to the girls, and they shrieked and covered their ears.)

Seltzer

A bag of frozen tortellini

A package of chicken

A 3 pack of colored peppers

One pair of undies for me, some for the girls.

Tiny little long sleeved onesies and matching pants, dinosaur print, for Kathryn's new baby

Four things for Emily's birthday, which is today! ( Can you believe I have a 38 year old daughter?  I am so proud of her, and thankful for her.)

And, of course when you get to the check out, you cannot believe you spent over a hundred dollars.  

Then....on the way home, the girls talking about lunch. I mostly don't eat lunch, mostly don't get hungry during the day....but they were starving.   They had put that tortellini in the cart, and were deciding on creamy spinach sauce or a tomato sauce recipe, regretting they hadn't picked up a jar of Alfredo sauce...when I suggested we pick up a slice of pizza from the pizzaria in town...also, ten wings.  I ordered those, much to their delight, then we stopped and picked Miss Char up from school.  She was disappointed she missed our outing, but glad we were getting pizza.

Sometimes Charlotte Claire comes home from school really hungry, and Sonja and Cam skip brekky or just eat a late late late lunch, then make these super paninis or pasta dishes, then aren't hungry for dinner...but they were hungry yesterday, good thing...I marinated the chicken in lime juice, salt and pepper...then doused it in olive oil, sprinkled it with oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, cumin...a can of rotel tomatoes with diced chilies, then slices of red, orange, and yellow peppers and onions added halfway through baking.

I forgot to take another pic when it was actually done, it was so very yummy.  I sliced the chicken, the girls had theirs in tortillas with all the toppings, I had mine just in a bowl, so good.

So since Kathryn didn't get out yesterday, I may go with her today to give her a hand, and to get a few snacks for the girls for the trip tomorrow.   Our flight is only three hours, but you never know these days, delays ect., can't hurt to have some granola bars, and a few special things for them during the flight.   We are of course flying a budget airline...but it's nonstop, Syracuse to Orlando, for $78!  No frills, but how many frills does one need for a three hour flight?

I love everything about going to Florida.  Stepping outside that airport in Orlando, breathing in the tropical air, picking up a brand-new rental car....

This trip though, the weather forecast sounds a bit dismal...hoping it changes!   We really wanted one beach day, with some sunshine!  It'll be nice to see grandma though, and hey, seventy and raining isn't the end of the world...:)


6 comments:

Deb said...

I love how you just get up and go shopping. I used to be like that but these past few years have turned me into such a hermit. It's probably also more fun to have your girls to shop with. I'm just alone when I go. *deep dramatic sigh*

I hope your flight is uneventful and your vacation is wonderful. =)

Unknown said...

Remember rain in Florida last about 15 minutes and your good to go. Originally from Lakeland, Fl. Have a great day and enjoy your visit.
Katherine

Anonymous said...

Hello 👋

Freezing rain is just the worst!! Thank goodness you didn’t fall 😱 It’s just so dangerous. Sounds like a fun shopping spree in Target! Lotsa good stuff

So you are off tomorrow for Florida!! What fun, but hopefully the weather is decent. At least it will be green 😉😊 Have fun!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb, the past few years have done a number on so many people. I had a houseful from April 2020, for several months...3 of my daughters lived together, 1 is an NP, one and RN, the other an accountant, she moved back home for half a year, as we thought the nurses could bring Covid home from the hospitals...a few other were back here too, and we basically called a truce with one of my daughters, her husband and two boys....they just came over all the time, it kept us all sane. I decided pretty early on to try to live as normally as possibly, I had four teenagers here who needed their spirits kept up...so we drove around lakes and went to parks and to Target at least once a week (it was empty...)....it was a crazy time. Thank you, I hope our flight isuneventful too! Even if it rains, it will be a nice getaway.
Katherine, good reminder!!!! I hope so!
Marilyn, I know, glad I didn't fall! And yes, it WILL be green, that tropical air, mmmm.

Terri D said...

Well, it is warmer here tomorrow and through the weekend so you may get your beach day! I have switched from heat to AC. You always find the best bargains!! I just don't shop. Maybe when I am able to retire again, I will have more time (and energy) to get out and about more often. Safe travels!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, maybe you are flying down here to our wonderful state right now! It is 52 where we live in north central Florida...should be warmer where you are landing in Orlando. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I think you will find it delightful compared with where you are coming from! I enjoyed your post and all the family activity. You are an amazing woman to keep up with everyone and everything like you do! Enjoy your visit and vacation!!