summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 9, 2008

bloggy-catting

Is that a word? I have never heard it before...but yesterday, I found a blog that expressed something I have been thinking of on and off....and I wanted to write about it too. But I am not bloggy-catting.....(think copy-cat....)

What I have been thinking about: when I read other blogs, and get the run-downs of accomplishments, including shopping trips and cleaning sprees, amazing laundry feats, ect., and I feel like I don't do nearly enough. When I am sweeping the floor, and looking around the place, and think, "Blogger X's floors probably never have popscicle sticks on them....or when I look at the clothes pile on my couch, that has a life of it's own.....or when I can't find enough matching socks on a school morning....even though I am the queen of buying MORE socks.....

I am just saying that I need to shut all of those thoughts out. I don't know how other people really have it. And if it seems like they have their acts together, and their lives are lovely, fine. That's okay. I don't think anyone really misrepresents their lives, but if I think my husband is ignoring me because he thought I was being a witch with a capital "B", am I going to write that? Even with the "keeping it real" line of thought, we have our private trials....and obviously don't share everything.....so I have to be careful not to be drawn into discontentment with my life, my house, my kids, because I think others have it more sunshiney.....

That being said, I just love reading people's blogs. I love reading, period. And I enjoy interaction with people, which I feel I never get enough of. When I went to Walmart the other day, my cashier was an old grump. You know how they have that question on the debit/credit machine, "Was your cashier friendly today?"....Well, for the first time ever, I pressed the word , "no"....and I felt a little bad....but she was just sullen and slammy...(is that a word?)...and I seriously felt ripped-off. I like to converse with the cashier. I like to hear about her grand-kids in Texas. Anyway, I don't get out enough, I guess. I like people. I like having friends. And that's why I love blogging. And reading blogs. To connect more with people. And one of the by-products of this can be falling in to the "feel sorry for me" trap.....but I am not going to do that. No more comparisons.....Heck, if I had half the energy of some of these young moms....see, there I go again...


Today is a good day. Abigail has the day off from college. She took Mariel to her driving test....but do not ask Mariel if she passed, or she will kill me for telling. She is afraid if she fails, everyone will have a comment, and she would rather avoid that......Joe forgot to set his alarm, Sam said he had a tummy ache, Margaret, the straight A student said she had nothing going on today, and of course the three little ones are here....so there have been 9 of us here on a school day, which is special. We have some shopping to do....I will pack up the 3 little ones, and Sam and Margaret, and go meet Abigail and Mariel to have a snack at a playground, and maybe Abigail will take Charlotte Claire home for her nap, and we will go shop......Mariel is going to Ottowa for about 6 weeks to help with a family that's having a baby.....if she tells you, act surprised. She is leaving this weekend. I am more than sad.....I have come to depend on her for help, and companionship.....she is such a GOOD girl. And funny, and a great shopping helper, coupon cutter......she helps keep me on track for buying healthy food....even though she loves to bake sinfully delicious chocolate things......

I am taking a mid-day break....Margaret brought Jon and Charlotte Claire outside, and Camille is napping...I have to get busy and get them ready for our outing......

6 comments:

Pam's Pride said...

Oh, you do WAY more than me!! I consider it a productive day if I just make it out of bed!! And I am only working on number 6 here! My laundry has a life of its own to...and you have 11 more people than me!
I have already told DH that if we ever build a house we will have at least TWO washers and dryers! And at least 3 bathrooms. I want a washer and dryer in my bathroom...hidden...and one in the kids bathroom (or a seperate laundry room just for them). Then I want a bathroom that is a guest bathroom that people who actually live in my house are NOT allowed to use so that the bathroom is always clean for guests. I will feel a little more organized then...but until then I just close my eyes when I walk past the couch!

Barb said...

I love reading your blog - I enjoy hearing how much you DO accomplish. I don't know you personally....but, I read you everyday and I admire and get a kick out of your everyday life. Hang in there.....honestly....???? I think people "juice up" their blogs a bit much. Nobody is perfect...I have 3 boys and work full time. I swear my laundry multiplies...I only have 5 people and you've got more than 3 times that much! Ha! Take Care!
barbandtheboys.blogspot.com

Renata said...

Your blog is great - I just find you amazing how you do so much.
I also blog because I love the interaction with people. I've felt a bit isolated since moving here & I think it's the bloggy world that's kept me from total lonliness!

Peta said...

I love reading your blog, and others like yours. Let's me know I'm normal (having so many kids), and it keeps me sane when I don't get a chance to catch up with my friends. You are a lot gamer than me taking so many shopping, I only take one at a time and that's stressful enough. I wont be able to read blogs for the next week as we are going on a holiday, so you will have to catch me up when we get back. Anyway have a good day

Cassandra said...

How on earth could you think you dont do enough? lol, i am amazed that i get through the day sometimes.... the fact the you have 16 and get through the day and even manage to find time for a walk blows me away...

I love reading peoples blogs too, since starting home schooling it has becomemy link to the outside world....

Cassandra xx

Oh and i tried to descibe what custard is just for you on my blog too ;-)

FLmom7 said...

I love reading other people's blogs too, especially yours;-) I think you do plenty, and I'm sure you do even more than you blog about. It's true we have to be careful about not allowing ourselves to feel discontented with our own lives when we compare to someone else's...everyone has their trials and faults.