summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 13, 2008

nice day to have off from school

but then any day is a nice day to have off from school....here is Samuel with an apple - he claimed it.....I am not sure he could eat the whole thing though....(those pictures in the background,on the wall, were my Christmas present from Emily when we had 15 kids....it was so hard to get everyone together for a family one....so she secretly photographed each one, and framed them...pretty neat.... Kathryn Grace, the photographer of the day....self portrait....

Charlotte Claire, Sonja K., and Suzanne...and yes, Miss C.C. has her new favorite outfit on, again...



Most of the leaves are still on the trees, but they are hopeful.....out there with the rakes, filling a bin, and dumping it on the trampoline....



It really was a nice day....they kept pretty busy outside. I woke up tired....too early, I had Camille in bed with me, nursing her, trying for some more sleep....then I heard the dreaded sound of Charlotte Claire's door.....one should not ignore that sound. So, I called her into my room....then, it was a party.....I kept the party in there for a while so the other kids could sleep.....
Mariel, if you are reading this from Canada: we went shopping without you today. And: we baked apple pies without you. Margaret, Sam, and I peeled the apples....Molly made the crust....we ran out of shortening, so Molly mixed in some butter....and yum, good pie crust.....we made 3 pies.....Molly rolled them out, and prepared them, did lattice tops....I could go take a picture, but I don't feel like it.....while the pies were baking, I took all the little kids out in the hot tub for a while.....then played in the yard for a bit.....all along, knowing: we had very little milk, and very few diapers. How the heck did that happen? Then when someone announced we were out of cat food, and Sam mentioned we needed garbage bags....well, I knew I had to go shopping.....and Mariel: Price-Chopper had the double health/beauty aid coupons, 2 of them...I used one on a $1.50 diaper coupon, and the diapers were on sale....so I got $3 off....and the other on Herbal Essences, $3 off 2, so that was doubled too.....
The store trip: of course I couldn't leave without Jon. He just would flip. And Joseph hates shopping. So, I put sweet little Charlotte Claire in for her much needed nap, and took: Aaron, Molly (who like to fool around, they brought their camera and made videos.....)Margaret, Kathryn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jon, and Camille. Target was first: I got several 6packs of girls' socks for $1.48 each...and Margaret and Molly got some clothes for 75% off.....and Suzanne finally spent her birthday money....she has had it since last February.....she got a High School Musical lamp for $6.24, and a stamp set for $7......she likes to play office. So I got her a cheap calculator, too.....and Jon wanted a toy. He really really wanted a toy this time. He asked a million times. He stomped....he fussed.......but then he realized I really meant I wasn't buying him a toy, and he stopped. But also because I gave in and bought him a $1.38 pencil sharpener, because he really really needs to sharpen pencils.....hmm, was it worth it? If you knew Jon, you would say, yes, it was.......
So, the kids were a bit spent by the time we started the grocery shopping....so, I had Aaron and Molly order a pizza, a huge pizza for only $6. Then they all walked and "helped" me shop until the pizza was ready. They picked out a flavor of 88cent store brand soda, and went and ate the pizza in the restaurant area....and I shopped with Camille....who needed to be carried by this time....looking for coupons while carrying a baby....fun....getting things off the bottom shelf while carrying a baby....more fun....and this is no tiny newborn, no sir, this is a grabby almost-toddler. But she is sweet. She was so happy when I took her out of the cart, she kept hugging me, and kissing me.....she would get vocal, and yell (in happiness), and I'd tell her, "shhh, shhh", and she would repeat it....it is just so cute.....but it wasn't so cute when I bought so much stuff, I filled up the place where I would have liked to put her back down into.....then had to drag the overfilled cart all the way back to where the kids were, carrying her too....a nice lady chased me down and handed me some coupons I had dropped.....I finally just abandoned the cart, and scurried over to get the kids....help, I need help!!! Things are falling out of the cart, it is too full! She is grabbing the bread! I cannot carry this baby anymore....! she is throwing coupons! Oh, and going through the checkout line.....at least the kids know I don't buy that candy, so they don't waste their breath......when Sonja was little, she tried to steal something.....anyway.....
Getting the things loaded into the van: remember, I hadn't eaten yet, and it was 8o'clock....so I had a piece of pizza.....and nursed the baby while Mollly and Aaron loaded up.....then, the 35 minute ride home....Camille serenenaded us most of the way. Poor Suzanne was sitting next to her.....
Then, home at last.....a school night, so goodnight to the kids who came with me....bring it all in, and put it all away.....most of it away, at least the cold stuff.....and then get Camille to bed.....get the school clothes out for tomorrow, and here I sit.....I neglected to shower them off before bed tonight (does that dip in the hot tub count as a bath?), so now I need to do it in the morning....and: tomorrow is my first day alone, without Mariel....I will probably cry....
One thing I noticed: groceries are very expensive. I only bought what was on sale, except for a huge bag of rice, and some cooking oil. And a large tub of yogurt. The deli meats were way too expensive.....I didn't even go over there....the repurcussions of all the stock failures could mean prices will skyrocket....but I am not going to worry about it....with so many kids to feed, I do have bad dreams about not being able to take care of them....what a good time to trust in the Lord.
Random things to be thankful for today:
1. Molly and Aaron
2. Camilles kissy cheeks
3. The beautiful moonlit skies....

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Wait 'til I tell Grace that Suzanne has the High School Musical Lamp! Katie was going to get it for her for Christmas, but I said, does she really need it ?because she has the musical princess one, anyway, she put it down. I'LL buy it when it's $3.12.. then, she'll really need it..