summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 2, 2008

morning to myself

The kids have gone to school, the three little ones are still sleeping....before I had this darned computer, I would've been in the kitchen, tidying up, or throwing in some laundry....



Suzanne wants to know why I make them go to bed, then just make them get back up in the morning. Good question. I ask myself the same thing when I go in their warm cozy room, and watch them sleep before the dreaded task of nudging them awake.....I really try to be smiley and nice when I wake them, partly because if they protest too loudly, they will wake up Jon....it is amazing how they can silently protest!! And I silently say OH YES YOU DO HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL!!! Then they stumble out to the living room, and cuddle on the couches with blankets....and I have to get them up from there!





Short-lived quiet, Jon and Charlotte Claire just woke up at the same time,.........diaper change, cuddles, breakfast......



I re-read the walk down memory lane post....my life, defined in having babies year after year....but in it all, I am still me. I may not have accomplished anything memorable through those years, but I have had my fun. The kids always have come first. But you know what? Yesterday afternoon, dinner was ready, and I put my sneakers on and went out the door. Alone. I have to do this one thing for myself. I need to. And they were fine.....(Paul was home)......a few tears, but they recovered. I can't really go on a brisk walk with kids who want to stop and throw rocks in the creek and pick flowers and red maple leaves......although it does sound like more fun...

I think I'll go put these two in the tub.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"my life, defined in having babies year after year....but in it all, I am still me. I may not have accomplished anything memorable through those years, but I have had my fun."

I think you accomplished something memorable :) You added 16 happy kids into this world. And they are good kids. For what we can read on your blog the older ones are responsible, helpful, loving.
Good persons, and the world is so in need for people who are able to make it a better place :)
You're showing them the good example day after day. Maybe you're not always as patient as you would like but you're trying, you're willing, and anyway you're a loving mother. That is a wonderful accomplishment.
I work with youth who didn't have moms or dads as role model, and you can tell how deeply lost they are sometimes.
there is a saying that I like:
"the future of society passes through the family"
Congratulations :)

cheryl said...

I agree with tl.. you have certainly accomplished something memorable!! And admirable, (is that a word? It should be, but you know what I mean!) too.. I realize you might think you've not accomplished much, and that's what can help keep you humble, but in reality, just imagine what you've done! And to have had FUN doing it, I think is the frosting on the cake..