summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a little bit of snow, a lot of excitement

The kids went running out, apparently snow is fun for them.... Jon's feet look a little cold. Yum, fresh snow for Charlotte Claire.......they didn't stay out there for more than 2 minutes....



They did get all dressed warm this morning, and were out for 6 or 7 minutes. They just aren't used to the cold. I did go for my walk this afternoon. It was freezing, and a cold wind was blowing. The high today was around 39 degrees.....and maybe I'm crazy, but I thought it felt very refreshing. Better cold than too hot.
I made Jon a neat paper airplane tonight, it doesn't really even fly very well, and you'd have thought I gave him a million bucks....the really likes it. I hate it when kids love things that are so temporary and breakable.....I cleaned out my purse, and set aside some of my really long grocery receipts for him to play with tomorrow with his cash register.
My mother-in-law called tonight, she is in Florida for the winter, and she said it was cold down there. Her heat ran all night last night. Strange weather.
Paul suggested tonight that we switch Charlotte Claire and Camille around, so that Camille is in her own room. I'm not sure I want to risk Charlotte Claire changing her excellent sleeping habits. There is something nice about a two year old that loves going to bed at night. We do cheat and put her in bed with her bottle, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. What do the experts know, anyway?
I would never consider myself an expert at child-raising. Because each child is different, and I find myself stumped about things I hadn't encountered before. But some things I have learned:
1. Never use the crib, or bedroom as a punishment place. It is a gooood, nice place. Naps are good, yummy. Going night-night is cuddly and good, NEVER use it as a threat. Mommy and Daddy have the advantage of marketing these things to be as appealing as possible.
2. Wait until they are ready to potty-train, if you want to do it the easiest way. Don't listen to your mother-in-law. I have trained 14 kids so far, and I choose the path of least resistance. So far, that has been to: encourage them to use the toilet when they are old enough, and then when they are up for it, do it. They do it all by themselves in just a few days, with some encouragement. My experience is when you push it too soon, you end up cleaning up some messes, and it becomes a battle.
3. Don't go head to head with a two year old unless you have to. It doesn't prove anything to win all the battles. If they seriously can't do something, like play with the sugar container or help themselves to cheerios, then it's smart to say no. And mean no. But if they just want some band-aids for their dolly, or to do something themselves that you have no patience for, let it go......
4. The kids have to learn to listen. Especially when it concerns parking lots. Call me crazy, but I can't stand when I see kids running ahead of their parents, with cars backing out and speeding around corners. I make them stay with me until we are at the van. A few months back ,one of the girls started to take off for the van from just 15 or so feet away, and a car was backing up. I shouted, and she stopped in her tracks. I praised her to the skies for listening, and was thankful nothing horrible happened. And of course used the opportunity to reiterate why it's important to listen to mommy.
I am such an idiot. I don't consider myself an expert, but I can go on and on with my opinions. One thing I find important is to talk nicely to the kids. I hate it when I go to Wal-mart and hear the mommies just snapping and crabbing at the little kids. I have been known to cry. And I stand there like a fool, an resolve to be much more gentle myself, especially when I am feeling stressed. I am thankful God can show me my lack, because only when I am in need about the way I am, can He help me.

2 comments:

FLmom7 said...

How about sending some of that snow down here to South Florida? I haven't seen or felt snow in 14 yrs and I kind of miss it...sometimes.

I enjoyed your parenting advice. I like that you are so humble about it. I appreciate your wisdom.

Handsfullmom said...

Thanks for sharing that advice. I agree about not going head-on with a two-year-old. I try to re-direct or distract a lot.