summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, October 25, 2008

the cat is in the carseat....

taking a bath. Good thing it's the spare carseat, that Charlotte Claire uses for her dollies.....I ran into a woman today, who was lamenting that there are halloween costumes and patterns for dogs, but not for cats.....and I thought I was crazy....

As I get older, I notice my tolerance for noise decreases....especially non-essential noise. Banging the spoon handles on the table, singing to the mp3 players, slamming, banging, arguing. Help! I can't get sick of this game, I am in the middle of it! Has it gotten louder in here? Hey, maybe that's why older people develop trouble hearing, maybe it's just mercy.....a little gift....

My niece's husband, his brother, and two friends just stopped in to pick up Joseph....they are going off on a late night adventure to Applebees or Denny's. Well, this house was so neat and clean this morning. Vacuumed, swept, toys put away....then I was gone for a while, and life happened....there are clothes, hair ponies, barrettes, socks, toys.....just scattered.....a 15 minute clean-up, and it would be fine....but did they give us 15 minutes notice? And that is just as well, because I am tired.......I do not feel like cleaning up tonight. Wait, do I ever feel like cleaning up?

My daughter Emily, the nurse, said something the other day that has stuck with me....she said,""" I have gotten very good at doing what I do not like...." Isn't that one of the hallmarks of being an adult? You don't have to love it, just do it.

All the whining I do about the weather is going to just get worse, I tell you. Having several children on a nice warm day cannot even compare to what it's like to have several children on a freezing, rainy or snowy day. Because they are IN THE HOUSE. And, this house has no play room....just the cozy little living room. Which connects to the kitchen via two doorways, making it a perfect set-up for the chase each other around the cirlce game....which gets old for me very fast.....last year, I bought a $19 mini-trampoline, which took the edge off their energy levels - they used alot of energy fighting about who's turn it was, and who took too much time on their turn....it is out on the deck right now, the covering for the springs has come off. I may just go buy another one.....

I was going to go out for my walk today, I put on my leggings and sweatshirt, and then I glanced out at the pool in the back yard and saw how hard it actually was raining...bucketsfull...and it was chilly.....so I deferred 'til later, which never came.....I think I need a treadmill. The Gazelle eliptical that Paul so nicely bought for me absolutely kills my knees.

Where in the heck can I possible put a treadmill???

Right about here I think I will change my thinking. It's funny, I think of myself as an optimistic person....but sometimes I get these glimpses , and I really wonder....

So, things I am thankful for tonight:

1. Our home. Just right for us.

2. That we can all fit at the tables now for dinner. I had forgotten how joyous I was at that a few months ago...

3. The peace, harmony, and lack of strife that comes from living a life for God......despite the noise here, there is a different kind of peace.

4. Our big white 15 passenger van. It allows me to plan outings with the kids that aren't limited to just 3 or 4 passengers like a car would be....

5. I have a washing machine that works, and a dryer that works.

6. I am thankful for all of the kids, but right now, Camille just shines. She can stand in the middle of the floor unassisted for a few seconds at a time, and the other kids all clap. Today, I was calling Sonja's name, and Camille started copying me....and she is so huggy! There is nothing like picking her up and getting that snuggle!

7. Charlotte Claire. She is just precious. She says, "Mom, hey Mom!" Sometimes I can't understand everything she says, but she is patient. She just keeps repeating, and pointing, until I get it....then she shakes her head yes so adamantly.

8. Jon. Jonathan Robert is intense. But he is so smart and funny. Everything is so important to him. He went to the hardware store and the BigM today with daddy. What an adventure.

9. My husband. He doesn't always understand why I do what I do, but he gives me freedom anyway. We are so different, but somehow on the same page. We work together, not against each other, and still love each other very much.

10. I am thankful that football isn't on tv all year long....I mostly tune it out when it's on....I can stare at the screen deep in thought, and not even see that fantastic play.......occasionally, I will watch it and enjoy it, but for the most part, if it didn't exist at all, I wouldn't even notice...

Yes, thankfulness always trumps whining and complaining......

4 comments:

Handsfullmom said...

"ran into a woman today, who was lamenting that there are halloween costumes and patterns for dogs, but not for cats" --- that made me laugh out loud!

I had a friend who told me that every house has one of those run around places. We have one too, but only on the main floor. I'm always trying to get the kids to do their running around downstairs.

I think you're an optimistic person; after all, just when you start posting some of the hard stuff you turn around and post some positives. Optimism is a choice, not a state of being.

I hear you about the weather changing. I like fall but sometimes can't enjoy it because I keep thinking winter's coming.

DH just bought me an elliptical. I've yet to set it up, but I hope it can give me the exercise I need when it gets too cold to go outside.

Bobbie-Jo said...

I love our mini tramp. We also have a small rope swing hanging from the beam in the basement. My husband just added on a mudroom, too, that's perfect for a *quiet* game of ball or trucks. Winter can be sooooo long!

But I still wish I could spend mine with 16 kids, too! ;)

Martha said...

Have you ever read the book "Treasures of the Snow" by Patricia St. John? There is a line in the book where the old grandmother tells her young granddaughter, "When you work because you love, even the heaviest burdens become light." What an incredible way to look at what otherwise often seems drudgery.

When we start dressing out pets in Halloween costumes, it just might be time for the stock market to crash. What are we thinking?

I need a treadmill too. Doesn't every woman in NY state? I'd like to place it in the computer room and have a platform set up so I could blog and walk at the same time. (I saw a comapany in Minneapolis on TV and they had their employees walking while they worked. It was great and they lost weight too!)

Renata said...

You are optimistic. And I love your list of things to be thankful for.
I think pets in costumes is much too strange (although don't tell my MIL).
We're coming into summer, so now the kids are outside more & more (YAY).