summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, October 31, 2008

my camera broke again....on halloween night....

These are the last pictures my dead camera has taken. Sonja dropped it tonight, and I think the lens is jammed beyond fixing. My camera died on Halloween night. Here are the last pictures....Jonathan, a.k.a. Superman, with Abigail the Alien.... Kathryn the pirate with Camille, Santa Claus.

Superman with Suzanne, a teacher.



Charlotte Claire, the tired little kitty....(in McDonalds after trick or treating in 3 neighborhoods)


Superman sucking his thumb, Sonja (Fancy Nancy), and Grace (their cousin, my dear niece's daughter) as a princess....at McDonalds....





Kathryn the pirate with pink boots.



Superman sure is in alot of picures....here he is with Emily the Environmentalist. She was going to a girls' party after our trick-or-treating, and they had to dress as something using the first letter of their name....





Samuel, some kind of non-commisioned officer....with Camille Claus, and Charlotte Kitty....







He had the time of his life tonight...his favorite take: an old man gave him a baggie with a $10 Japanese dollar from world war II....and a few old German coins.....the poor old man. It made me sad. The coins were carded and carefully labeled. He sure picked the right boy to give some to......I told Sam he probably would have had some interesting stories to tell, the old man.



We took the kids to a nice neighborhood, seeing that most of our neighbors are corn fields and cows. Then, back into the van to another neighborhood.....as they ate candy all the way there...they went to quite a few houses, then back into the van......one more neighborhood, just a few streets, and they were giving up. Sonja had to go to the bathroom and her ankles hurt....Margaret didn't feel well. Charlotte Claire wanted to be carried. Oh, she was so funny. She enjoyed herself so much. She liked walking through the leaves, the night was so warm and mild. Just going up people's porch steps, and seeing the Jack-o-lanterns were big deals for her. She didn't really know what it all was, but when she said , "Trick-or-Treat", they gave her candy! She mostly took it in her hand, and said thank-you....then took great pleasure in going down the steps, one jump at a time. Oh, to be two years old and enjoy life so. No thought of getting to the next house, or gathering up alot of candy. That's why I love having so many kids.
We never did have dinner tonight, until we went to McDonalds at I don't even want to say what time. They had some snacks after school, and were much too excited for much else. Then, they were eating candy.....but still, I get the bad mommy award. But if you could measure their happiness, I would get a blue ribbon. We went into McD's, used the bathroom, and they all got to pick either a chicken sandwich or a double cheeseburger ($1 menu), and I got some fries for them to share, plus an ice water each...(free).......the lady behind the counter asked me if they were all my kids, and I said all but one.....she asked how many I had, and I said 16. She did not believe me. It may have had something to do with how funny I looked, don't ask, but she did not believe me. She said she had never heard of anyone having that many kids. So, apparently she went up to my sister, who was with me, and asked her if it was true.....
Well, we got home and got Charlotte Claire into bed, she had already slept all the way home in the van, but she was pretty tired. The other kids dumped their candy into piles all over the living room floor. This is apparently the "funnest" part. I had them pick up and vacuum before we left this afternoon in anticipation of this event. I wanted to take a picture, but my camera was broken.
So here I am, thankful they had a nice time. I sure did.







5 comments:

cheryl said...

Hi, it's me, yes, I know I haven't seen you in like what seems like over 2 hours.. Anyway, you forgot the part when I volunteered to the person inquiring whether it was true or not that you have 16 kids..that I, have 7, but no one seems to care! And she didn't.
Sam sure is a lucky kid.. isn't he really interested in the Wars? That's amazing that an old man would give him the coins.. sort of makes me want to cry, if you know what I mean.
I loved how your kids kept saying in the van, "Thank you so much for taking us Trick or Treating", and "Thank you for bringing us to McDonalds" You'd think that you never do anything with them, but I know that's certainly not the case. It's not an easy task to "teach" kids to be thankful! And Jon kept saying "I ALWAYS say thank you at every house when it's Halloween." And he's 4!! Sweet! Thanks from me, too.. I had a lot of fun.

Cassandra said...

Oh Della, That did soundlike so much fun! I wish we could come with you trick or treating ;-) Our neighbourhood is pretty snobby and they tend to turn their nose up at Halloween and trick or treaters, isnt that sad? i would love to take the kids out but then i would just feel so bad when they either dont answer the door or tell you to go away.... Maybe next year i'll find a good neighbourhood and go...

Cassandra xx

Cassandra said...

Sorry,me again
forgot to add how nice it was of the old man to give the coins to Sam, how sweet of him, i bet he and my hubby would get on great, he loves anything about the wars too and collects lots of war memorabilia....

Charlie said...

Aww I love little supermans! Mostly saw princesses out this year.

Martha said...

I saw a gorilla driving a red Neon...