summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

almost thanksgiving

but I can start being thankful any time now.

1. I am thankful for my fun older kids who stayed up with me until three in the morning watching, "My Sister's Keeper". Abigail, Mirielle, Mali, Margaret, and Kathryn. ("Wait! Kathryn's still up?" Poor girl, she sort of hides, hoping I don't notice....I knew she was up, and thought it was okay. Eleven years old is old enough to stay up 'til three, right?) We all cried our eyes out at this movie. And of course that led to laughing our heads of about nonsense after that...then we were so tired we talked and talked...and it got later and later.

2. I am thankful for a day off. The younger kids got up and watched the new Barbie Christmas video I rented before I even got up this morning. I slept 'til 9:30, and I feel awful. Wait, this is a thankfulness list. I am thankful I got to sleep 'til 9:30.

3. I am thankful I don't wear a bikini to the beach, I burned my stomach going tanning, which is hilarious. These stretchmarks have not seen the sun. Ouch. (I just thought a tanned stomach would be cool...ha!)

4. I am thankful for my new slippers that I bought for myself for Christmas. I don't get very cold around the house but the kitchen has a tile floor that gets freezing.

5. I am thankful for Paul. Last night, he could not find this little device that he needed to log on to his work computer to pick a ridiculously high-priced, high deductable ($4000!!!!) insurance plan (sorry, this is a THANKFUL list....!), and he looked around here so calmly. When I cannot find something (usually a hairbrush, in which the VeggieTales song comes in handy), I get so impatient. I knew he must have been tempted, but he just looked and looked and then gave up. Then I went to put the clean comforter on our bed, and there was the little device.

6. I am thankful that we are going on vacation. Paul is bringing his guitar, I am so happy for him that he will have a chance to vegetate and play.

7. I am thankful for Mirielle. Every mom should have a Mirielle around for Thanksgiving. She is out in the kitchen prepping for pie making, while I sit here.....(but I am so very thankful to have her here!)

8. I am thankful for my sister Cheryl. (my only sister. I was going to write that I have 5 brothers and one sister, then I remembered that Billy is gone, then I remembered that this is a THANKFUL list!) Anyway, Cheryl is a good sister. She is a good friend. She always lifts my spirits and encourages me and I never have to worry about what I tell her. I am going to try to get her to be a guest blogger on here when we are gone. I am not bringing my computer with me. She is so entertaining, I will not be missed. But I haven't asked her yet.

9. I am also thankful for Kim, my sister-in-law. She has been my friend since we were in middle school. She met my big brother Tom when she was only 15. He was in the Navy, came home, got a job, she finished school, and they got married. She jokes that she married him so we could always be sisters. She is a GOOD friend. The kind of friend that is always there when you need her. When Sonja was born, (wow, I THINK it was Sonja...), I was exhausted. I had missed a few nights sleep because of labor, then she was just fussing and wanting to be held....Paul had gone home, and I finally asked the nurse if she could take the baby....but here were two emergency c-sections, (very small hospital), and there was no one who could take her. I burst into tears. I was never so tired in my life, before that or since. I kept falling asleep even when I was walking around the room with the baby, and and I was terrified I would drop her. I called Kim at like two in the morning, and she came right up to that hospital and held that baby for hours so I could sleep. I realize that she lost a night of sleep, and had to go back home and take care of her then ten kids being tired, but that is what kind of friend she is.

Yes, I look forward to going shopping on Friday. I hate the crowds, but I love the bargains.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Thankful for good friends indeed!! :)
Also it's neat that your husband is bringing his guitare, maybe you'll get some serenades.. ;) How long is your trip?
Your daughter Molly (Mali) left a nice comment on my blog days ago and I tried to answer her but I don't have an email (it's a no-reply address) Can I send it on your email?

16 blessings'mom said...

Mali has an email, liliumsnovels@live.com

I am sure she would love to hear from you. Thanks!

And our trip is for five days. I wish it was for 10, but....five is about all we can manage to be away for, and all we can afford!

And I hope I get some serenades!!

Unknown said...

Hey, I've been following your Blog for a while and reading. Your posts are all great. Love reading it. Hope you have greay thanksgiving

Book Lover said...

Your Thanksgiving menu sounds wonderful. and of course you will be surrounded by all your beautiful children. Have a great Thanksgiving!!

Blessings

Kim Chrisman