summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Tom is over 27 pounds, and I had a hard time getting him into this bag. He is bigger than the pan so I am hoping he doesn't cause a fire or anything. He is also partially frozen, since SOMEONE (me) forgot all about taking him out of the freezer until Tuesday.
Jonathan was the waiter-in-his-undies this morning. He microwaved frozen French toast sticks,(I was right there with him), and served the girls their breakfast while they watched the parade on tv. He also got them cups of ice water.

For some reason this cracks me up. The dog cage is decorated.

Paul and I stayed up way way to late last night, and when I woke at eight, I couldn't get back to sleep because I was too excited that today is Thanksgiving. Will I ever grow up?? I hope not....Anyway, I got the bird in the oven, so the house smells good. The experts say that smell evokes memory, memory rarely evokes smell, but when I think of Thanksgiving as a child, I can smell that turkey. We were not dirt poor growing up, my parents managed to save up enough money to realize their dream, which was to have a camp on Lake Ontario. We had our camp, but it was simple, no phone service. (that alone seems strange, that we were up there with no phone, we would walk down the beach to the state park if we REALLY had to make a call) Anyway, when we were growing up, Thanksgiving was a really big deal. We would have at least 12 to 15 pies. My mother used to freeze all the bread crusts, then on the big morning my little brother Casey and I would rip up the bread for stuffing. Casey was a brat. He was the youngest of us seven, and he used to do things like lick his plate to save his spot, then sit in a different place. One year he put a ciggarette butt in one of Billy's dinner rolls. And no dinner was complete without Cheryl and Joey pretending they bit their tongues off with cranberry sauce. Most of this happened after my dad left the table. He would eat and go back in to watch the game, and then the fun started. I still miss talking to my parents on Thanksgiving.
I am thinking of going for a nice walk today before dinner. But we will see how that thinking goes...


No comments: