summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 12, 2009

frosty morning

It was a freezing cold night here in central New York state. The stew fixins the kids have been playing with are all frosty. Rosie had to lie down on a frosty deck.
Frosty frosty summer stuff....I guess we should pack it away.




This is the backyard....

And this is Joseph Michael, 18. He is a good reason not to judge a person by the way he looks. I mean, he doesn't have tatoos or piercings or anything, but with his tinted glasses and nice little beard thing....well, you wouldn't guess what a sincerely good guy he is. He has chosen the good things in life, to be pure and follow God.



Ahh, and here is Benjamin. He hasn't exactly chosen the same path as Joseph, but he is a good boy. He has a good heart. Yesterday he turned 21, and we had his favorite dinner, hamburger stroganoff with green beans. And since we had just had a cake for Miss Camille, I made him chocolate chip cookies instead. He got two presents, a package of chocolate covered caramels, and some sunflower seeds. But we did give him some money....





Suzanne made him a nice card, and Jon wrapped his two gifts in foil. The kids all gathered around when he opened them. I do think Miss Rosie thinks she is one of the kids.


He shared the candy with them....






Abigail really made Jon's day by helping set up some Waffletown track.

And so, this morning I got up early and made pancakes for the kids for breakfast. And packed their snacks. Hey, they wouldn't appreciate it as much if I did it every morning! I always make breakfast for the younger kids, but the older ones, only occasionally. It was really really nice to hear the big kids (Aaron, Mali, Sam, Margaret, Kathryn) thanking me so THANKFULLY, not just robotically (is that a word?) as they went out the door for the bus. Since like 99% of what I do is not noticed or appreciated, when it is, I'll take it!
Poor Charlotte Claire. She just can't figure out why it isn't HER birthday yet. Camille had hers. Benjamin had his. She came out this morning and asked, "Now is it MY birthday?"
Staying home to save money is hard for me. I can think of lots of places to go, and lots of good reasons to go there. I need some sandals for our trip. I have these Birkenstocks that I have had for at least four years. They are getting a bit shabby. They are my only sandals. And here in the northeast part of the country it is hard to find sandals in November. And I cannot order them online without trying them on, except for Birkenstock, since I know which size fits...but they are so expensive. I suppose I should consider it a part of the trip cost. And, I would also like to find somewhere that still has summer clothes, super duper clearanced.
I am so so so excited that we actually are going away. It is only five days and I truly wish it was longer, but I'll take it. The older kids are actually looking forward to it. They like to do things their own way. As long as they clean up before I get home, I don't care what they do. Well, I may eat that statement.
The novelty of having lots of water hasn't worn off yet.
Rosie makes our house dirty. She gets a bath, looks so sweet and fluffy, then she goes out and gets all muddy, then comes in and tracks it all over. I try to grab her and wipe her feet off with a towel, but don't always manage to. I like my floors clean, but I also like Rosie, and I guess you can't have everything.
Jonathan really wants me to have a new baby. He was playing with the Emmaljunga that is in the living room last night, putting a doll in it and pushing it back and forth. He says we should use it if we have another baby, because it pushes so nicely. He says if it is a girl, we should name her "Cutie Renee". Hmm. He says he would be big enough to hold her and rock her and help her not to cry. Poor Jonathan....but it is funny, after all these babies we have been given, I think if we were given another, the kids would appreciate it more than any kids in the world. I don't think I would ever get to hold it.
Mirielle is coming home this weekend!!!! That means I can't put dirty pans in the sink anymore. And we always have to have a vegetable with dinner (we usually do anyway), but corn doesn't count with Mirielle. But maybe she will catch up on the coupon cutting.....and make more breakfasts for the older kids. It will be so so nice to have her around again. I miss her, not just her help.
Rosie is barking at the neighbors....








2 comments:

Tereza said...

I loved your scattered post:)

My work is usually unnoticed except for when I don't do it....then I hear LOTS of complaining....MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM I don't have any clean socks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but when they do it doesn't cross anyones mind that it's because mom works hard!! UGH!:):):)

That dog is enormous!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Mireille said...

I went to the mall to buy Ben a present and guess what I did? I bought myself stuff!! Why does it always work out like that. Now I am going to try my hardest to find him something. What do you think about a belt? I wouldn't mean it as an insult, but he IS always saying he needs one. I don't know his size but he is small, so I could work with that. Right? (As you can see I am rather hesitant right now...)
I never did say thank you all those years, but I am beginning to realize now the the magnatide of what you did for us, so thanks!