summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, November 20, 2009

coupons and crying.....

Okay, the coupons we cut were worth it! Mirielle and I shopped with Kathryn and Sonja, and we redeemed $62.70 in coupons! The store had two triple coupons up to a dollar, and all coupons under a buck are doubled. So anyway you look at it, that is alot of coupons. The items still have to be a good deal, on sale, or totally necessary to get into the cart. I spent about $250 for two overflowing carts full of stuff, including another turkey for 39cents a pound.

And onto the crying......for all I preach about taking things right and not blaming the other one, I still find myself going down the wrong road sometimes. Last night was one of them. I am a little frustrated about Christmas, because it is just around the corner, and I am so unprepared. We are having a bazaar at the school, and our church has a table, and I am trying to get things in line for that. And Paul wants me to talk to him before doing any major Christmas shopping. But I can't seem to get a chance to do that! Then, yesterday I looked on craigslist and found the perfect thing for Jonathan. He is obsessed with cars, and especially with Mustangs. Well, a guy was selling his red Powerwheels mustang, a two seater, two years old, well taken care of, with a brand new $50 battery and a charger, all for $75. I emailed him, and he said I could have it. Yay! Then I told Paul about it....and he thought it was way too big of a gift. I asked him if he had any other ideas, but he was busy doing things, and just said no, quite distractedly. I seriously did not want to contact this guy and tell him "no" on this car, but Paul didn't think Jon needed it. I, on the other hand, had already revelled in the thought of Jon's happy face on Christmas morning, and how much fun they would have with it. I was thoroughly excited about it, couldn't believe it wasn't already sold. And it wasn't just the car, it was that I started feeling sick and tired of trying to figure everything out.....so I went to bed. Without saying goodnight. By the time I was all snuggled in, I felt terrible. Not terrible enough to get out of the comfy bed after a long day, I must admit. Anyway, I called Paul already this morning and told him I love him and I am sorry. I mean, I still am a bit sore about the car. I think I am right. But I am going to let it go because it just isn't worth it. We do see things differently sometimes.

Of course I stayed awake for long after Paul came in and went to sleep. I cannot sleep when things are not right inside. I knew I was being a jerk. I had to just get a vision again for the big picture. What are we here for? To get lots of stuff? It is very serious to redeem our time wisely. I had a nice talk with God, and my attitude is much better today. Oh, but Jon would have loved that car.....rrrr.

But the good news is: Paul got his passport! (and please don't think HE is a jerk, he is a very kind, responsible, practical (too practical, but then maybe I am just too UN-practical(and I also love love love toys, which he thinks is insanity)). And, I got my new Birkenstocks. And they are pretty! But then most any shoe would be pretty next to my old ones....they are SO comfy but so shabby.

I have to go to parent-teacher conferences by myself today. It is a little feel-sorry-for-myself. I hate those conferences anyway, the teachers offer these tiny little chairs. And for the life of me I don't know what they are talking about sometimes. "As you know, little Suzy is working on the new way to do math, we have done away with touchpoints and now blah-blah-blah...."I am partly kidding. And I don't really mind going. I just don't exactly keep track of what each child is working on all the time. I mean, Evelyn is in fourth grade. In fourth grade, they have a Native American project, which I call the Indian project. So she is the eleventh child to come home and announce she needs to build a longhouse. I have help build so many longhouses. (there is one excellent teacher, however, who still had Mali's longhouse since it was so detailed and realistic, and let Kathryn take it home and add some more...she understood.) Anyway, Evelyn is doing corn muffins instead. A few of the teachers I am meeting with today are very young, almost young enough to be my daughters. I know they won't understand my letting-the-kids-stay-home-once-in-a-while philosophy. They don't see the big picture, they don't realize that my children are growing up faster and faster and that now I have more kids over twelve than under. They don't see that having a child miss a day and get more of my one-on-one attention is worth getting behind on a few worksheets. That when I go shopping with a child who is supposed to be in school, that child maybe gets something at McDonalds, and a chance at some new sneakers or something from the clearance rack. It is exciting for that child to be more focused on. It sounds terrible, but that is the way it is.

Lots of other stuff is going on today, Joseph is with one of the guys from church, and Mirielle has to go shopping for dessert stuff for Sunday, we are having a nice Thanksgiving dinner at church. Abigail and Benjamin have places to go and things to do, and then tonight is activity club. Thankfully everyone seems well and healthy right now. It seemed like there was someone with something for weeks and weeks.

Oh well, off to school I go.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck meeting with the teachers tonight! I don't envy you. :)
I can understand about the car, it's really hard to let go when you see the perfect gift. I am not into toys at all, but even so, yesterday I saw an elephant in a window display in one of the second-hand shops here and I wanted it for the children. We're talking life-sized stuffed elephant. SO impractical and we don't really have the space. But it was cute! :D They accepted offers over £100 (about $165) and Saumel said no way! I suppose it was a bit easier for me as even I could see it was totally useless and impractical in one sense. But oh, so fun! :)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this honest post. I understand how you feel about Christmas and having to figure it all out by yourself..and the car! And I don't think you were a jerk by not saying goodnight, I think that is too strong a word even though it may not have been the right action. You are entitled to feel some disappointment over such a good deal and the shattering of your excitement. Especially without being given an alternative. (and no, i don't think paul is a jerk either).
So here's hoping you find something else ;)
Thank you once again for sharing real stories. You are inspiring to me!

Book Lover said...

I agree with Simone17. Men don't understand the pressure we moms put on ourselves to get the "perfect" gift for each child. You had found something perfect for a great price. I understand completely and do not think you or Paul were being jerks. It's just the difference between men & women.
I also love the system you have set up for spending one on one time with your kids. Your right, it is WAY more important than a few worksheets. You're a great mom. Good luck today

blessings

Kim Chrisman

AUTISMOMMA said...

I'm sorry to hear about the car. Reiss has a Peg Perego John Deere vehicle that we also got for $75 three years ago at a garage sale. We have more than gotten our money's worth out of it. He rides it around outside and drives Milla around. My husband even built little "doors" to go on it. It's too bad you couldn't sell Paul on the idea of it being a gift for all the littler ones. Even the little girls would have gotten a ton of enjoyment out of it...Oh well, that's how things go sometimes.

As far as school, I've thought about this a lot when you post about which child gets to stay home on which days and I think if I do that when my children are in school, I will probably tell the teachers that we, as adults, get to choose in our lives when we want to take off work for vacation days....so how is school much different? Granted, most schools have the summers off but I think children need a break here and there too to stay motivated. It's kinda like dieting...if you go and go and go and go and never treat yourself to a naughty little sweet or treat at some point, a person will lose focus and it can be very difficult to regain that focus once it's lost.

careysue said...

A friend of mine on facebook just recommended your blog! I love it! I love the fact that you have a lot of kids, I get it! I only have 6 and people think it's a lot!! I definitely would of had more, had my body allowed! I'm using a lot of exclamation points, I'm just so happy that what you're saying about letting your kids stay home once in a while for one on one time is perfect! I feel the same way! We call it a mental health day. Anyway I will be back to enjoy your blog and your precious family!

Thanks,

Carey Geyer