summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

not staying home today either

No, today I have places to go. I have a few things to take care of with Benjamin, an insurance payment to make, and an insurance check to deposit.



The good thing about me being a stay-at-home mom is that I can do the things that Paul cannot do since he as to work all day. It is funny though, because I don't really stay at home, though I do try.



Charlotte Claire had a high fever again last night. Wait a minute, didn't she already have this? Either there are two different things going around, or it is a two-parter. I don't know. I just know I should write down who had what. Suzanne started her fever on Saturday night, and is hovering around 100 degrees this morning. I did get the other kids out the door for school today, whew. Not easily or breezily, but I'll take it.



I wish I could pay Abigail like $40 -50 thousand a year to stay home and help me. I am getting spoiled. You would think the place would look like a million bucks, ha. But we manage.



We still haven't made reservations for our vacation, and to tell the truth, I am not in any particular hurry. It will be sad when we make them then go and come back...because looking and looking forward is half the fun. I have found a few promising places, but we haven't decided yet. We have ruled out Mexico, since Benjamin mentioned the travel advisories. Now, I am sure the resorts on the coast are probably safe and sound, but....we decided not to. We are thinking Dominican Republic or Jamaica. I found a place that has special prices on a new section of the hotel where every room is a suite with a jacuzzi and special no-reservations for the all-inclusive restaurants. They even have a pillow menu. But I don't know if this means you choose your pillow, or there is a menu on the pillow. I can't wait to find out. But if anyone knows, feel free to clue me in. I am aware that it is form of escapeism just to be looking at all these places, but that's okay. Paul and I have had more fun and fellowship looking together....



Emily gets home in 32 days. I am sure it will not be as exciting for her as it is for us, as she has to say goodbye to all her friends there in Norway. And come back and join real life again. Job, insurance, health care....ugh. But the little ones are excited to see her again, and do not tell her this, but when I looked at some pictures of her recent little trip to England, I saw her and cried. It seems just cruel and horrible to not see my own daughter for a whole year!!! I know it isn't, but that is just how it is for me. Painful.

I wrote this this morning and then the internet went down. So here I am again. Back home. Camille is sleeping, Charlotte Claire is playing dollhouse on the little brown carpet, Kathryn is having tea and pizza for afterschool snack while watching Curious George. Abigail, Suzanne, Mali, Aaron, Joseph, and Margaret are all around and about too. Samuel must have stayed after today.

Christmas is in 42 days. I only know that because Emily is coming home in 32 days, and because I counted. I am not counting the days out of pure excitement, but just to be in touch with how little time I have to get things for these guys. My present closet is looking pretty bare, and with more of the kids older now, the clearance toys just don't cut it anymore. I don't want to go overboard and spoil them or anything, but even $20 times 16 is alot! And I must admit: I bought a package of Spree candy canes today. They were 99 cents and they looked good. I put them on the top of the refridgerator, but not before dancing around the kitchen singing, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, in every store you go..."


Well, Charlotte Claire is sitting with me now, and she wants attention. And I have to plan dinner...I am thinking to make some soup from the leftover chicken from last night.

Since the kids are home now and I am talking to them, I cannot concentrate. Sometimes I think of these interesting things to write about, then when I get a turn on my computer (AARON!), and the internet is actually working, I forget what seemed so interesting.

5 comments:

Tereza said...

I do have a question (again:)..but first I'll say that I end up having to go out about 3 times a week (not counting sunday church)and I really really dread it because as soon as I go out that day is shot and I can't keep up and it's a disaster in here....like really badly!!! Surely with 16 kids you've got to have SOMETHING under your belt that you do to make life work!!!!!! Can you pretty please just share.....I know you don't want to and that you are humble and don't feel like what you do or have to say is worth that mucha nd that each family is different BUT I'm actually asking so don't feel bad if you do decide to share (I hope you will!!)
I have my own routine and stuff that I do and even with that it's VERY VERY difficoult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats a typical/normal home/out day like for you?.......how do you make it all work?.....maybe I could learn something?!!!

cheryl said...

Hey momto9.. this is her big sister speaking, and she probably won't publish this.. But the wonderful truth is that she's not capable, operates on a "fly by the seat of your pants schedule", and her house is disorderedly in order.. That said, her kids are all ALWAYS fed well, fairly healthy, CLEAN, (and that includes their clothes, too!) dressed very cute (I'm talking about the girls, and Jon, the others take care of themselves, very excellently, too!) well mannered, pretty smart in school.. what am I missing? Oh, I would eat any food she prepares. And I am very picky about who's cooking I eat.. Anyway, my point is, if you haven't figured it out.. is to do what you can, when you can (it helps if you feel like it, but that isn't always going to happen!) You would think that with my youngest being 16.5 my house would always be magazine perfect. That only happens when we expect visitors.. I can't keep up when I'm out a few times a week either!! I'm sure there are some women out there who make all this look easy, and maybe they CAN do it all.. but I would suspect something would be lacking somewhere.. or they're getting extra help. Remember, when we meet God, He's probably not going to say "I do not know you because your house was a disaster!!".. I realize it is worth the effort to keep things in order, of course, but beyond that, it's not. And I have to keep telling myself that..
Della, sorry to go on, and you have my complete understanding if you choose not to allow this comment..

mommeeof10 said...

When your water is working, how do you get all the laundry done and put away? My teenagers run the washer and dryer, then dump the clean stuff on a large table on the sun porch for me to sort. I thought maybe having them keep their dirty laundry in their rooms and bringing it down to wash, dry and return to their room would work better, but it hasn't. Everything still gets messed together, as they forget to put it back in their baskets when they take it from the dryer.

We are almost done sorting out the summer clothes, so I can put away the stuff that is in good shape in the attic. Then I need to get out the winter stuff. Poor Sara, 14, has only 2 pairs of pants that fit her. Mary, 17, is always borrowing her little sisters clothes. I guess I need to take Sara to the second hand store and good will, as I refuse to spend money on new clothes for a fast growing teenager. She was one of my smaller babies (9 pounds 5 ounces) and is now within 2 inches of my height (I'm 5 ft 9). Once her growth slows down a little, I'll buy her new stuff.

Tereza said...

cheryl...so sweet of you to reply:) I know I probably come accross as the "magazine" type but resally I'm talking about avoiding total chaos...which happens here on a regular basis (not the avoiding either:)!!! I have handprints and dribbled down who knows what on my walls, sticky floors etc....I'm talking about mainly clutter, laundry, food and definatelly clutter...did I mention clutter?:):) Right now my kids are doing their chores happily because I had a big talk with them...their good attitude will last like one day:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I understand about it getting painful to miss someone...but I'm missing my brother who is over in Norway- not a child. I can't imagine! And he's thinking about going to school there for 4 more years. = / He's in a good place and I want to be happy for him, but I'm getting to the point where if anyone mentions his name I have to blink hard or I'll start crying. Sorry!! I'll get over being selfish about this!!! =)