summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, November 2, 2009

shopping again....

While shopping for shoes for Kathryn, I found these pajamas for Charlotte Claire. $3.00. I couldn't resist. They say, "so cute it's scary"....anyway, this is her new haircut.
Here is some candy....

I count 8 kids. Sam is the big guy sprawled out in the front. He likes trading. Poor Camille's candy has so many pieces opened up with tastes taken.


Today it became apparent that Kathryn was fine. I talked to her about skipping school, and telling the truth, and lying and all of that fun stuff. Then it came out that she hates her shoes. I had mercy on her, I do remember being eleven. She has this pair of black printed canvas sneaker-like flats that she wears every day, and they are getting worn out. So I told her she has to start going to school every day, but today I would take her shopping. We went with Sonja because Abigail was staying home to change the water in the hot tub. It is emptied and cleaned and has to wait it's turn to get filled, another contender for the water. (The plumber will be here later in the week)


I have been trying to be much more careful with our shopping dollars. Today I found these two little outfits for $4.98 each, but the little girls don't really need them, so...I didn't buy them. It was hard. They were SO cute. I just need to say NO more. I did get myself a few 75%off summery dresses for our trip. $7.48 seems like alot, I can't imagine paying $29.99.

Dinner tonight was sloppy joe, but it was half ground beef and half ground turkey. We had it on fresh Italian bread, still warm from the oven when I bought it for $1 a loaf. And mixed veggies with summer squash, yum. No one had to go anywhere tonight, so we had a relaxing table.

Oh, but things happen in life. I was cooking dinner, and Jonathan was standing there itching his head. Great. I know what kindergarten and and an itchy head mean. Remember, they like clean hair....oh, the kids would KILL me if they knew I was writing this on here. Panic ensued when the older kids, mostly the girls, found out what Jon had in his hair. I only found a few, and we had some treatment stuff in the cupboard (I am WAY too superstitious to ever throw that away). Paul gave him a buzz cut (oh, the poor boy. He has ears!! but he is so cute...and hopefully he doesn't get on the bus the day after tomorrow and tell everyone why he got a hair cut, or they will never stop teasing him...we are letting him stay home tomorrow so maybe he will forget. ha.).....I found a few in Charlotte Claire's long blonde hair, so she got a trim, a treatment, and that was that. I checked everyone else, and they are fine. We washed Jon's bedding, put his pillow in a bag for a few weeks, and vaccummed the living room. I will continue to watch the kids for any, and hopefully this will be it. Oh, life is full of fun.

(Cheryl, check Grace. She rode in your van, and Jon didn't. Evelyn and Sonja did, but they are fine, I think and hope.)
Emily is coming home in 43 days! She probably hasn't counted, but we did! That means 53 days 'til Christmas. I do not have much in the present closet this year. The stores are getting smarter, and I didn't run into many clearance sales this year. One of the kids cheerfully suggested that we just give them each $100. Great idea, if there were two of you. Maybe we will have an old fashioned Christmas with just a few gifts and something sentimental. I think just having Emily here will be good enough. I am looking forward to getting a new family picture, too.
Mirielle will be home for Thanksgiving. I am excited about that, too. She likes to bake and we usually make 15 or so pies. She is probably reading this and thinking that with what we found in Jon's hair, she will just stay in Conneticut, thank you!
I am tired. It is only 10:20, but really it is 11:20. So my body knows it is bed time, but my brain is saying to stay up and enjoy the living room with only Mali, Joseph, Aaron, Abigail, and Paul in here. And Rosie. She is lying on the floor sleeping.





7 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

I am so amazed by how many children get lice these days.

When I was in school (and I'm only a few years younger than you), my sister and I never got lice and I remember only two children in my whole school who had them. Neither was one of my close friends. My school was about 120-150 per grade level, so yes, a small school but not terribly small.

Do you think lice are just way more common now? Or do you think that there were way more people who got them back then and we (my sister and I) just didn't know it AND were lucky enough to make it through K-12 without getting them?

I can't even recall how many times my niece had lice when she was younger, around six or eight years ago. It seems like every other week my sister was telling me they were giving treatments and washing all the bedding and stuff.

cheryl said...

Gee, I am so glad I decided to read your blog before I headed to bed!! Sorry to hear about the rice, hope it's not too bad. It's interesting what Autismomma wrote, I don't remember ever having them, either! And weren't we just exchanging horror stories recently? Well, have fun..I'll be thinking of you!

Tereza said...

we've never had lice and hope we never do....I dread it!
Thats a LOT of candy! Oh my:)

Enola said...

oh crud. My daughter is in kindergarten and has an itchy head. I didn't even think of that.....how would I know?

Ellen said...

My one daughter had lice once when she was little. I used the shampoo on everyones hair to be on the safe side. I spent all that day washing everyones linens and stuffed animlas. See, my best freind family had just had lice and she had it in her car, her carpets, her curtains..everywhere! She had quite the infestation!! So I took no chances with ours! I hope no one else gets it in your family!

Joni said...

My daughter got lice from school last year (and it was a real battle for them to get rid of them from that classroom - so I was paranoid ALL year after ridding my daughter's head of them.) What a chore! I found in the end that I had the best luck to use white vinegar (head over the bathroom sink, looking toward ceiling except face covered with a towel.) I rubbed the vinegar in well, let it sit for must a minute, rinsed and then combed, combed ... rinsed well, washed well. That worked after the 'treatment' didn't do it. I feel for you! Hopefully this is the end of it. At least you recognized the itching right away!

Sherah said...

That is like my WORST fear. Seriously, it's way up there. And I'm thinking I better prepare myself because it'll probably happen one day with seven kids going through public school. We haven't had it yet though...but I'm going to be watching for the itchy head too.