summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 26, 2009

sadness, thankfulness

Seventeen of us gathered around the table this afternoon. Sweet potatoes, squash, asparagus, cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, pickles, olives, rolls and butter. And cranberry juice-ginger ale punch.

But the best part about it was the fun. We drew names for a gift exchange on Christmas eve. The little ones each confided in either Mirielle, Abigail, or me, so that we can keep things as secret as possible. Jonathan was hilarious, he had Abigail read his name and whisper it to him, then he said, "I got the worst person!" Suzanne had someone she thought would be impossible, so I traded with her. Rosie thinks she should get a chair, too.




She liked Thanksgiving.

And the sadness part: Our dear friend Gwen went home to the Lord early this morning. She was 85 years old, but still as sharp as ever. She had a good day yesterday, then she went to sleep last night and went home to Jesus. I have been crying off and on all day because Gwen was such a special friend. Seriously, when talking with Gwen one forgot she was old. Because only her body was old. She never said anything bad about anyone, but rather built up the others when she spoke of them. I know she is in a better place, but I wasn't ready to say good-bye to her yet. How fitting though, for her to pass on Thanksgiving.......




5 comments:

Tereza said...

Sorry about your loss of a good friend!! A thankful person going to heaven on Thanks giving....you're right it is fitting!

Wow your table is HUGE!!!! Our Thanks giving has long passed here in Canada:)

cheryl said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! We are thankful, too, for Gwen and her faithfulness. She has run the race, and has been such an example for us.
The girls decorated the table quite nicely, and dinner was fun to make and eat. Well, Thomas and Dave threw rolls at Janet when she requested one.. interesting having "boys" at the table after all theses years of girls only.. otherwise, things were nice.. and I had to remember the olives being tossed behind our mother's back.. I'm surprised you remember the Fun Stuff at the T-day table!!
Oh, you can tell Aaron and Molly that she's fine, but Audrey's hair went up in flames when she leaned too closely in to a candle on an end table (from behind, I'm not quite sure how it happened!). It was very scary for me, they were all laughing when they realized she was okay.. but it doesn't have that nice turkey smell in here anymore.. I think she needs a haircut. Luckily she has long, curly hair, right? Never a dull moment, unfortunately, but we are very thankful.

FLmom7 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I am sorry about your dear friend Gwen. She sounds like she was such a wonderful lady.

Martha said...

I had to smile as I read about your day. Our meal included cranberry- ginger ale punch and the kids here also traded names for Christmas.

I am sorry about the loss of your friend but am blessed by your confidence in where she is. We also missed my dad but know he is waiting for us there. Maybe he made a new friend today.

Book Lover said...

So sorry about the passing of your dear friend. Even though she lived a long life and was ready to go, it is still very hard for the ones left behind.

Your Thanksgiving table was WONDERFUL with all your beautiful children. How incredibly blessed you and they are to have each other. They will grow up with their own "stories" to share I'm sure. Awesome!!

Blessings

Kim Chrisman